airbag non-deployment

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 12:50 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJB
Hang on... LTC are your suggesting that the Cayenne may have a black box recorder (thingy) in it. And this has never been disclosed to owners?
pretty much all cars have these now.. primarily for diagnostics and codes for trouble shooting etc. BUT come on guys, you don't think when you crash that it's not going to record all the failures occuring in the car plus the airbag sensors will "code" and the acellerometer will have a "max" readout. pretty simple and inexpensive devices these days.

p.s. like Brad says.. good luck with a lawyer... nowheresville.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:43 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default not

even close, only 64% of 05 cars have EDRs in them. porsche and volks are two of the mfg's who didn't have them, although they probably will be adding them.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:00 PM
cthronson
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More detailed information from my friend with the crashed CS:

1. Partial offset frontal, on the right front side, heavy damage from the right headlight inward to the front license plate frame.

2. No one in the passenger seat.

3. The police estimated the impact speed at 35 mph. She estimates 25 mph. $10-15K in damage, the vehicle laid up for 30 days for parts.

3. Concern is not a lawsuit. Concern is related to whether the airbag would deploy when it was really needed (i.e., say a 40-50 mph head-on collision). I have a CTTS and am wondering the same thing.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:19 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cthronson
3. Concern is not a lawsuit. Concern is related to whether the airbag would deploy when it was really needed (i.e., say a 40-50 mph head-on collision). I have a CTTS and am wondering the same thing.
Apparently they were not needed in this case. So using this instance as a predictor of their reliability when needed is useless.

Police estimates of collision speed are only good when done by a real accident investigator. The cops responding to the scene are not qualified to make that estimate.

So relax. This crash did not expose a defect.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:48 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by droptop
even close, only 64% of 05 cars have EDRs in them. porsche and volks are two of the mfg's who didn't have them, although they probably will be adding them.
droptop... come on dude... 64% is pretty dang high, I would've guessed lower and I'm sure that % is high in vehicles over $30K or so.. but I'm saying even without a EDR you can get a lot of information as to what happened with PIWIS and common sense. 25 mph impact partial frontal.. that says it all.. the airbag would've made her injuries worse.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:49 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cthronson
More detailed information from my friend with the crashed CS:

1. Partial offset frontal, on the right front side, heavy damage from the right headlight inward to the front license plate frame.

2. No one in the passenger seat.

3. The police estimated the impact speed at 35 mph. She estimates 25 mph. $10-15K in damage, the vehicle laid up for 30 days for parts.

As most of us suspected.. slower and partial offset.. airbag non-deployment was as it should be... still haven't answered.. what were her injuries?
Old 05-26-2007, 04:18 AM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I know of guy that rolled his Cayenne off a mountain, rolled about 4-5 times, airbags did not deploy either.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:40 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you know and not knew him i take it hes alive and well
if you in an accident at 100 mph and the airgbags dont deploy, but you walk away with no major injuries you have no grounds for a lawsuit, the passive saftey syetms did everything they were suposed to do
Old 05-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes he survuved just fine. I'm assuming it senses the severity of the impact.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Vino
Racer

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
if you know and not knew him i take it hes alive and well
if you in an accident at 100 mph and the airgbags dont deploy, but you walk away with no major injuries you have no grounds for a lawsuit, the passive saftey syetms did everything they were suposed to do
Amazing how Porsche now want's us to play Russian Roulette. Truth is at almost 6,000 pounds I'll say that it should be enough to take out some trees

The question is Brad, if you die at 100mph how do you plan to sue if there is no airbag deployment

Last edited by Vino; 05-27-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:16 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

do you make sense in your head before you type?
I have not heard anyone say they got hurt and the bags didnt deploy?
if you didnt get hurt and the bags didnt depoy, then you didnt need them.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:22 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vino
Amazing how Porsche now want's us to play Russian Roulette. Truth is at almost 6,000 pounds I'll say that it should be enough to take out some trees

The question is Brad, if you die at 100mph how do you plan to sue if there is no airbag deployment
How the hell is that Russian Roulette?
There are a whole bunch of sensors in the car. They trigger the airbag in certain conditions. Just because you think the airbag should be deployed does not make it so. I would take the word of the people spending a huge amount of time and effort designing those systems over intuition of a person who doesn't know how it really works.
Each airbag costs hundreds of dollars when deployed. Blowing them up to make ignorant people feel "safe" doesn't make much sense. That is the job of the Department of Homeland Security. They are busy concocting all sorts of stupid half measures to make you feel "safe".
Old 05-27-2007, 07:10 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

not to mention getting hit with an air bag is very un enjoyable
Old 05-28-2007, 02:14 AM
Vino
Racer

Brad and Andrei, excuse me "Cayenne airbag experts"

A roll down the mountain is pretty serious especially with almost 3 tons and no airbag. I would think the car would do something???
35mph I can understand.

Where did I say the airbag needs to deploy at all times?

I made a reference as to why all these accidents and no airbag deployment, so don't jump on me like two horny bar flies.
I am referring to more serious accidents.

Brad, my reference was a question, I did not repeat anything you said.
You seriously need to relax PAL.

Andrei, I agree with you to a point but come on, how serious does the case need to be for added safety especially if the car was full of occupants.
If I am not wrong drivers always seem to be fine in the worse case scenario, it's usually the passengers that suffer.

FYI, I am only using the examples from above, don't know anyone with a Cayenne/Treg that has been in an accident and I am not negative or positive of some opinions, just an on looker.

Enjoy your Memorial Day
Old 05-28-2007, 11:46 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Did somebody get hurt in a Cayenne/Tuareg/Q7 without airbag deployment?

If yes, let us know. If not there is no reason to be concerned here. If you want to be concerned about something watch out for black cats and unlucky numbers on license plates just as effective.

Quick Reply: airbag non-deployment