Sponsored by:

So HOW does PTM/PSM work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 02:21 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So HOW does PTM/PSM work?

So yesterday I'm driving down this 2 lane road and I realize that I need to hang a u-turn... I see an area off the shoulder that is open and all dirt. So I veer off the road onto the shoulder at about 25mph and flick the Cayenne to the right then back to the left to bring the *** around so I can make a left turn. It slid across the dirt nicely about 45 degrees (on purpose of course) and I was off and on my way. Then when I was driving I realized... I didn't see the PSM light flashing on the dash as I did it, and for that matter, why did the computer nanny allow me to slide the car in a 45 degree arc? How "concrete" are these electronic nannies?
Old 05-17-2007, 04:06 PM
bancu
Racer

It let you do it because you paid for a Porsche <g>.

Porsche tunes its 'nanny' to kick in later than most other makers. As you experienced they actually let you to use your expertise quite a bit before taking action. To me it makes it much more of a driver's vehicle.

According to my sales guy the 'kick in' sensitivity level is lowest on Mercedes, up a bit more on Audis and highest on Porsches. His statements matched what I've experienced in my ML55 vs. CT. From what I've read Mercedes changed things up a bit in the past few years to make their ESP programming a bit looser on their AMG models.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:59 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That really is a good question - in the winter in the slop, if I goose it making a turn, PSM intervenes to keep the rear end from sliding out (sometimes annoyingly since it also likes to sometimes stop all momentum).

You are truly one with your vehicle and PSM must be reading your mind.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:00 PM
bancu
Racer

If you don't like what PSM does to you in the slop don't even think about an ML.

Quick Reply: So HOW does PTM/PSM work?