Sponsored by:

Off Road Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 01:02 PM
911skb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off Road Cayenne

Does anyone have their Cayenne setup for a more off road centric use? Curious how it performs with a slightly oversized M&S tire, etc. Also any pictures or good website links would be nice to see.

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:40 AM
911skb
Instructor

So no off roaders?
Old 05-18-2007, 09:43 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Cayenne owners I've seen would be afraid to drive through a gravel parking lot. A shame, because the chassis is supposedly very capable off-road.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:53 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911skb
Does anyone have their Cayenne setup for a more off road centric use? Curious how it performs with a slightly oversized M&S tire, etc. Also any pictures or good website links would be nice to see.

Thanks.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...&page=20&pp=15
Old 05-18-2007, 10:45 AM
GM Austin
Pro

How's this?
Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2007, 04:25 PM
glpellegrino
Intermediate

Don't forget the transsyberia...

Click to access porsche transsyberia site
Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2007, 04:55 PM
911skb
Instructor

I like the Transyberria look.
I've heard and read that the Cayenne is a very capable off-road vehicle as well (very capable on road too).
For how much they cost it would be hard to justify abusing it off-road, but to me it looks like it is just waiting to be setup for a Rally contender or a even light duty Baja 1000 type of driving.

GM Austin, nice picture. Is that you? If so, are you running stock tires there and how do they perform? Have you tried anyother setups?
Old 05-18-2007, 06:04 PM
glpellegrino
Intermediate

Me too. Unfortunately my **** looks more like Transsuburbia...
Old 05-18-2007, 09:00 PM
GM Austin
Pro

I've heard and read that the Cayenne is a very capable off-road vehicle as well (very capable on road too).
For how much they cost it would be hard to justify abusing it off-road, but to me it looks like it is just waiting to be setup for a Rally contender or a even light duty Baja 1000 type of driving.

GM Austin, nice picture. Is that you? If so, are you running stock tires there and how do they perform? Have you tried anyother setups?
That is me, on Elephant Hill in Canyonlands Nat'l Park. Those are stock tires, the 18" Continental Contact. I like that tire and I have never had a tire failure off-road with it, plus it's speed rated for 150 mph. I would not consider non-stock, off-road tires or different non-stock sizes. The on-road performance is too important to me. I think it's just too cool to be able to drive at very high speed on winding mountain roads and then immediately go off-road with complete confidence. So, the Continental contact is a good compromise tire for me.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:57 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove one of the first ML's over Elephant Hill confusing a few park rangers. One really needs the air suspension if your going to do that. Also I sure put a lot of pinstripes coming into the park from the Beef Basin area. I'm just not going to tear up an expensive truck like this driving through the trees.

It is inexcusable of the Germans not to include a full size spare. A flat with just a donut spare isn't going to get you very far in Canyonlands. You would probably have to ship a new tire out of Salt Lake. This could ruin your day or your whole week.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:59 PM
trevorc
AutoX

Ken....

I just got a used 2005 Cayenne 5 weeks ago with the intent that it will spend time on lots of gravel and dirt roads. Being a used vehicle I didn't have the chance to specify options. So it is currently not equipped with the skid plates and various other necessary parts. It also came with the wrong tyres for serious off pavement use (has 19" Toyo Proxes tyres which are good on clean pavement, but pretty useless otherwise).

I purposely looked for the model Cayenne I bought, a standard transmission was a requirement for me, as was the V6 as it makes the vehicle a bit lighter in the front. It is the 3.2Ltr, so it would be nice to have a bit more power. In time I will look into my options there (I wonder if the turbos from the Audi v6 could be adapted to fit?). Also, the parking brake as a pedal is a MAJOR pain. It would be really nice to find out what bits from the Porsche (or VAG) parts bin where used to put the handbrake in the console like the Trans-syberia Cayenne !

All that said, I volunteered as a timing marshall at the Rocky Mountain rally this past weekend and really enjoyed driving it into my stage ahead of the rally competitors.

It will require better tyres and I would like to get a set of 18" wheels, not sure which tryes yet, altho the BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA KO's seem to be popular. No they are not speed rated (N i think is what the spec for the vehicle is), but how often do you need to sustain 200+km off of a divided highway ??

I'll try to post a pic later today as soon as I download my camera.

The Trans-syberia Cayenne is an inspiration ! I was so pleased to see that annoucement.

My only other complaint so far is the local Porsche dealer. Arrogant, poor service and way over priced. So as soon as I can find a serrvice manual I will start doing my own work. (Or find an independant garage, applications from S Alberta gladly welcomed !! lol ).

Trevor
Calgary, AB
Old 05-29-2007, 12:28 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let's see...

On the way to our friends house the "Cheat River" was flooded - we drove along it to our friends hill and went up - they had to leave their Jeep Cherokke (sic.) back on the highway - the Cayenne made it with water above the wheels then up the hill...

Was caught in Upstate New York for a freak snow storm this year - drove from our friends house in Woodstock on an un-plowed road to the main road, 3-4 feet snow - no problem...

Last week looking at some new houses in the new sub division going up near us - rose the Cayenne and drove through the "ditch" full of water and mud - up and over the hill onto the development - same egress exiting...

Tow my motorycycle trailer (two full HD dressers around 900 lbs each with inside cabinets full of junk, etc.) all the time...

Brought home a new 50" LCD monitor in the back seat last week...

Drive around like a kid in a sports call all the time...

Luv my Cayenne...

Old 05-30-2007, 01:34 AM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good topic. I bought the Cayenne partly because it has the offroad capabilities. While most folks here are into 20-23" wheels, I like my 18 inchers just fine. From a functional perspective, the 18 inch tire is really the ideal size for this vehicle. My car does not have air suspension; I do feel it is better to have air suspension if you want to traverse more rugged territory -- as long as it doesn't break.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:15 AM
sebring boxster
Track Day

I drive my off road all the times 2 or 3 times a week we have orange groves we are always driving in the sand and mud no problems so far i have nitto dune grapplers 285 70 18 nice tires on road also.
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2007, 10:52 PM
jpljr
AutoX

Hello-

I'm considering purchasing a CS, and instead of starting a new thread, I figured I would ask here...

Where are the tow-hooks/recovery points on the Cayenne chassis? I drive my truck on the beach frequently, probably 25 times a year. And although it is rare to get stuck, I always carry a tow strap and have appropriate recovery points just in case.

So... How do you recover a stuck Cayenne? Are there front and rear recovery points that are safe to attach a winch/strap to?

Thanks.

A hope to be soon CS owner.

-jpl

Quick Reply: Off Road Cayenne