Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seatbealt ding

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 01:21 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

What about those of us that are wearing 6pt harnesses that don't wear the 3pt and want that damn ding gone? Not a good idea to jump to conclusions about why somebody wants to disable the ding.

If this is a case of somebody just not wanting to wear a belt, how again does that affect those of you that come across as holier than thou? Let Darwin work his magic and just sit back and relax. Besides, do you think that somebody who does NOT want to wear a seatbelt intentionally has signed up to be an organ donor? Those are organs you can't get
Old 05-10-2007, 01:25 PM
kaizashozay
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^voice of reason? is that u?
Old 05-10-2007, 01:27 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kaizashozay
^voice of reason? is that u?
just hoping that everybody could play nice
Old 05-10-2007, 01:28 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

In the vein of Dell's post. There is an automatic assumption that disabling the chime means one immediately stops wearing a seat belt. This is fuzzy logic.

However, if posting a dissertation on macroeconomics helps you sleep better, then go for it. I for one would rather have the chime disabled and wear the belt.

Why? because it is my damn car and the feature is available to be programmed. If I sell it, I will take it back to the dealer to have it enabled so the individuals who need an electronic wife to nag them into wearing the belt can be satisfied.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:54 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

I have a clip machined to fit in the buckle on my GT3 for when I am wearing the harnesses. This is the only way other than finding a sympathetic dealer.

I used to have a Subaru Legacy. To disable the chime on it you had to clip and unclip the belt exactly 20 times within a minute. Permanently disabled the chime. I think they play too much Nintendo in Japan.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:54 PM
sigs
Racer

Originally Posted by kaizashozay
so i guess u dont know how to disable it?
Oh, go ahead:

Take a strong pair of scissors, cut the clip out, watch the loose ends retract with abandon, insert the clip into the clasp, and drive it like you stole it.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:17 PM
sigs
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
What about those of us that are wearing 6pt harnesses that don't wear the 3pt and want that damn ding gone? Not a good idea to jump to conclusions about why somebody wants to disable the ding.

If this is a case of somebody just not wanting to wear a belt, how again does that affect those of you that come across as holier than thou? Let Darwin work his magic and just sit back and relax. Besides, do you think that somebody who does NOT want to wear a seatbelt intentionally has signed up to be an organ donor? Those are organs you can't get
Whoa, dude! I don't think anyone's trying to be too holy on this list, and we have pointed out that, by the nature of our vehicles, we are risking standing on a slippery slope throwing rocks in front of our glass houses.

So, my heartfelt apologies if I offended anyone, especially those folks who have outfitted their Cayennes with 6-point harnesses in hopes of running the Baja or sneaking into their next local club race. My assumption of not wanting to wear a belt may well have been erroneous in that case.

For those who just don't want to wear a belt, I just don't get it, but spending time in a busy ER has that effect on most people. It's still your choice (provided you're willing to pay the tickets in most states), just like it's your choice to exceed the speed limit (not that anyone here would ever do that ). However, we have ample examples of how prosecutors and trial lawyers jump at the chance to amplify charges or damages when someone has "tampered" with safety devices, if that is the final straw for anyone on the borderline about whether to do this.

But, I'm still a libertarian at heart and think all these "nanny laws" are bunk, so I am very conflicted about all this. Maybe I need to go see Tony Soprano's shrink.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:02 PM
HD2pct
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott C
I for one would rather have the chime disabled and wear the belt.
Oh come on, Scott. We know you don't wear it. There have been videos of you on YouTube driving without it on!
Old 05-10-2007, 06:10 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by HD2pct
Oh come on, Scott. We know you don't wear it. There have been videos of you on YouTube driving without it on!
Damn Youtube..... Ruining everybody's lives!

Old 05-10-2007, 06:12 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sigs
Whoa, dude! I don't think anyone's trying to be too holy on this list, and we have pointed out that, by the nature of our vehicles, we are risking standing on a slippery slope throwing rocks in front of our glass houses.

So, my heartfelt apologies if I offended anyone, especially those folks who have outfitted their Cayennes with 6-point harnesses in hopes of running the Baja or sneaking into their next local club race. My assumption of not wanting to wear a belt may well have been erroneous in that case.

For those who just don't want to wear a belt, I just don't get it, but spending time in a busy ER has that effect on most people. It's still your choice (provided you're willing to pay the tickets in most states), just like it's your choice to exceed the speed limit (not that anyone here would ever do that ). However, we have ample examples of how prosecutors and trial lawyers jump at the chance to amplify charges or damages when someone has "tampered" with safety devices, if that is the final straw for anyone on the borderline about whether to do this.

But, I'm still a libertarian at heart and think all these "nanny laws" are bunk, so I am very conflicted about all this. Maybe I need to go see Tony Soprano's shrink.
You really need a drink.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:45 PM
sigs
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
You really need a drink.

How do you think I got so warped in the first place? Didn't you notice me coveting all those donor livers?
Old 05-11-2007, 07:56 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sigs

How do you think I got so warped in the first place? Didn't you notice me coveting all those donor livers?
The first step is admitting you have a problem.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:07 AM
QKENUFF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always wear a belt, but I hate the damn ding when starting, stopping, and shuttleing the car around the driveway.

Best solution was to find the "dinger" behind the dash, and tape it up so it's muffled. No error lights, and it is not effecting the steat belt use, just getting rid of the damn ding!
Old 05-13-2007, 05:27 PM
cthronson
AutoX

I think the most important thing to take away from this conversation is to make certain that we blame those scum trial lawyers, not just for that pesky seatbelt chime, but for those darn seatbelts too! And those pricey airbags.

And Iraq.

And global warming.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:46 AM
kaizashozay
Advanced

i machined a piece of plexiglass over the weekend that plugs right into the receiver. round 10 minutes of work and no ding. score.

Quick Reply: seatbealt ding