Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing -- do you tow 7700lbs? -- 600lb tongue weight? GVWR?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 12:01 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to find this thread. Now that I am going to build a spec Boxster race car I have to get a tow vehicle again. Too bad I got rid of my CTT (in my avatar I never changed here) because at the time I wasn't using it as a tow vehicle, because now I am considering another one! Grr.

I need a dual purpose vehicle because I will be scrambling to find room to store the trailer and race car, so trying to also find storage room for a pickup is next to impossible.

My car will be 2500lbs or so, and I plan to get an open trailer, so 1500lbs max for a total of roughly 4000lbs without gear and extra tires.

I'm considering the new X5 4.8, the Cayenne S and CTT, M-B GL450 or ML500 (too bad we can't get the GL320CDI in this commie state of CA - torque monster), and have been helped by the postings here. I've seen people bring their Porsches to the track in Cayennes, so I know it can be done. If torque is the problem (as mentioned earlier with the reference to a diesel American truck) wouldn't the high torque turbo (CTT) take care of it just the same?
Old 04-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by schvetkaaks
Glad to find this thread. Now that I am going to build a spec Boxster race car I have to get a tow vehicle again. Too bad I got rid of my CTT (in my avatar I never changed here) because at the time I wasn't using it as a tow vehicle, because now I am considering another one! Grr.

I need a dual purpose vehicle because I will be scrambling to find room to store the trailer and race car, so trying to also find storage room for a pickup is next to impossible.

My car will be 2500lbs or so, and I plan to get an open trailer, so 1500lbs max for a total of roughly 4000lbs without gear and extra tires.

I'm considering the new X5 4.8, the Cayenne S and CTT, M-B GL450 or ML500 (too bad we can't get the GL320CDI in this commie state of CA - torque monster), and have been helped by the postings here. I've seen people bring their Porsches to the track in Cayennes, so I know it can be done. If torque is the problem (as mentioned earlier with the reference to a diesel American truck) wouldn't the high torque turbo (CTT) take care of it just the same?
I think the Cayenne Turbo will tow amply to it's 7700lb limit, but I'd tend to go with a "light" tongue weight, say 500lb, rather than over-tax the rear air bags.

Of the cars you list, only the ML seems like a poor choice for the projected 5K lbs. The GL is about to arrive (Q3) as an ML550 with 10% more torque an 380hp. Given the longer wheelbase and the rear suspension designed for third-row seating, with the displacement of 5.5 litres and a 7spd transmission, I'd say it would be a great all-rounder.

I've tried the combination of SUVs (Range Rover and Excursion) but it's just a bit too expensive and too much in the way of logistics plus the space to have that behemoth sitting there.

Anyway, I'm going to set the Excursion aside for a while and try the Cayenne Turbo. If nothing else, it's great fun to drive, comfortable (especially with the Sports Seats option) and abundantly quick point to point. And as you say, those turbos deliver ample added torque and I've found a Turbo with the "Power Kit" option, so I think that will be fun.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:49 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

How does one get a light tongue weight? Is it in the design of the trailer?

Is the Cayenne S (with the same towing limit) truly at any disadvantage over the turbo in towing capacity?
Old 04-27-2007, 01:05 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

How does one get a light tongue weight? Is it in the design of the trailer?

Is the Cayenne S (with the same towing limit) truly at any disadvantage over the turbo in towing capacity?
V6, S, and TT all have the EXACT SAME towing limits and can tow them all with ease. You just increase up that ease level as you increase your torque.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:08 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

LVDell, you have a Cayenne - is it the V6, S, or TT? Any issues towing?
Old 04-27-2007, 01:13 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I have the base model (V6). I have been towing with it for a year now and have ZERO complaints. I also have had ZERO issues or problems. No lighting issues, no towing issues, nada. However, let me caveat that with that fact that I will upgrade to a SS or TT soon. I could really use the extra torque when towing on an incline. Still does fine on the inclines but just not great at acceleration. We bought the V6 as a "tester" vehicle to see if we really liked it. So we leased it and decided that it was a pretty great SUV and now know what options we would like and which once we could care less about.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
V6, S, and TT all have the EXACT SAME towing limits and can tow them all with ease. You just increase up that ease level as you increase your torque.
Did someone suggest otherwise?

By the way, I've had the gross combined rating changed on an SUV once before -- the DMV rates the vehicle by vehicle weight, rear suspension capacity, hitch design and brakes (not engine horsepower.)

I have no doubt a V6 works well as a tow vehicle, but I expect it simply could not move with 7700lbs and the max gross combined weight rating if attempting to move forward from a standstill on a 14% grade (that's the limit for the county on driveways ... my driveway exceeds that limit slighty.)

And I pity the transmission that would be asked to allow that much slip while the V6 spooled up trying to achieve peak torque. I guess in low range it would do fine.

I've done that (used 4WD Low) to get a boat out of the water with the old supercharged Tahoe sometimes. A bit dramatic (since the Tahoe is basically a 2WD with the center diff locked, it turns one front and one rear because the LSD isn't strong enough) but it did get up the ramp without sliding into the drink.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:12 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Although I've seen people do it, I just wonder if it's a safer bet to get a full size SUV like a Yukon Denali, Expedition, Escalade, or the behemoth QX56. I know the X5's and Cayennes CAN tow the cars, it just seems like it would be a safer bet with a vehicle based on a large pickup truck, with the same torquey engines and frame, no?
Old 04-27-2007, 02:34 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Did someone suggest otherwise?
Yes, see my post above with the "quote"

I have no doubt a V6 works well as a tow vehicle, but I expect it simply could not move with 7700lbs and the max gross combined weight rating if attempting to move forward from a standstill on a 14% grade (that's the limit for the county on driveways ... my driveway exceeds that limit slighty.)
Well then you are the exception to the rule. I can't imagine there is anything other than a VERY SMALL percentage of Cayenne owners that would tow from a standstill on a 14% driveway. I have towed at a very steep angle (not exactly sure what the angle was) from a stop at a country road stop light and had no problem in 1st thru 3rd. Further I have done it for over an hour straight at a 10 degree+incline and in 110 degree summer heat going across the rockies in S. Nevada. So there goes that theory.

And I pity the transmission that would be asked to allow that much slip while the V6 spooled up trying to achieve peak torque. I guess in low range it would do fine.
FYI...it is the tranny that is rated for that towing limit and they are ALL rated accordingly. It is the torque that seperates the models.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:36 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Although I've seen people do it, I just wonder if it's a safer bet to get a full size SUV like a Yukon Denali, Expedition, Escalade, or the behemoth QX56. I know the X5's and Cayennes CAN tow the cars, it just seems like it would be a safer bet with a vehicle based on a large pickup truck, with the same torquey engines and frame, no?
I am doing that very thing when my lease is up next summer. As I have said many times, the Pepper is a VERY CAPABLE tow vehicle but really not the optimal tow vehicle when the same price point offers selections like yo mentioned above.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:37 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 49 Likes on 11 Posts

I dont know how many times I have seen guys with Cayennes towing their Porsches to the track
in enclosed trailer. It seems to me at every POC event I go to there are 3 guys there with the Cayenne S or TT there with their Cup cars-never heard of any problems
Old 04-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Yes, see my post above with the "quote"

Well then you are the exception to the rule. I can't imagine there is anything other than a VERY SMALL percentage of Cayenne owners that would tow from a standstill on a 14% driveway. I have towed at a very steep angle (not exactly sure what the angle was) from a stop at a country road stop light and had no problem in 1st thru 3rd. Further I have done it for over an hour straight at a 10 degree+incline and in 110 degree summer heat going across the rockies in S. Nevada. So there goes that theory.

FYI...it is the tranny that is rated for that towing limit and they are ALL rated accordingly. It is the torque that seperates the models.
I'm not trying to get you into an (even more) argumentative frame of mine about your V6. Finding a 60 mile long stretch of 10 degree climb, even in the rockies is just a tiny bit implausible. There'd be a pile of 18 wheelers at the bottom with burning brakes on the downhill side.
it's pretty steep on 80 between Auburn (2000ft) and Truckee (6500ft) but the signs don't say "steep grade next 60 miles" ...

And I'm not talking about a percentage of owners, just a measure of where the V8's are a more practical towing choice.

At least in CA, the DMV rates the vehicle not by the transmission at all. I'm sure Porsche thinks about it, but the _limit_ is not the engine or the transmission, it's the unitary design of the frame and the ability of the rear suspension to carry tongue weight and pulling loads.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I'm not trying to get you into an (even more) argumentative frame of mine about your V6. Finding a 60 mile long stretch of 10 degree climb, even in the rockies is just a tiny bit implausible. There'd be a pile of 18 wheelers at the bottom with burning brakes on the downhill side.
it's pretty steep on 80 between Auburn (2000ft) and Truckee (6500ft) but the signs don't say "steep grade next 60 miles" ...

And I'm not talking about a percentage of owners, just a measure of where the V8's are a more practical towing choice.

At least in CA, the DMV rates the vehicle not by the transmission at all. I'm sure Porsche thinks about it, but the _limit_ is not the engine or the transmission, it's the unitary design of the frame and the ability of the rear suspension to carry tongue weight and pulling loads.
You really are missing the point of ALL of my statements. I have no argumentative nature regarding my V6. I love it, it tows very well, is very capable and I do NOT have V8 envy. However, I have said MANY MANY MANY times that I would prefer a V8 for the torque it can deliver and will upgrade when the lease is up on my current lowly V6.

And if you say "practical" then you have absolutely glossed over my statements where I have said over and over that the V8 is the better choice.

As for your implausible 60 mile stretch comment I never said there was a 60 mile stretch. You really need to get over whatever it is you have against the V6 and/or your doubts about the Cayenne's towing abilities. You don't need to buy one but you need to understand that it CAN tow very well. As for your 14 degree roads. Where in the hell are they? Nowhere I have been.

Go find what you want make sure it satisfies YOUR needs and buy it.

Sheesh, you give people input and advice when they ASK for it then they crack back on the very comments they receive. In the future just let me know a priori what you would like me to say so as not to give you info that you didn't care for.

ps. maybe the incline was 8 degrees in the rockies. TomAto, TomAHto.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:16 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

I am doing that very thing when my lease is up next summer. As I have said many times, the Pepper is a VERY CAPABLE tow vehicle but really not the optimal tow vehicle when the same price point offers selections like yo mentioned above.
Doing what very thing? Getting a full size SUV? Which one?
Old 04-27-2007, 03:32 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Doing what very thing? Getting a full size SUV? Which one?
Not quite sure yet but the Escalade, Denali, Yukon are the front runners. That new Escalade is really nice, especially the interior (something the Pepper lacks).

Quick Reply: Towing -- do you tow 7700lbs? -- 600lb tongue weight? GVWR?