Sponsored by:

Airride lowering Q

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 04:06 AM
Turbo nut
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should check out adjustableairride.

An affordable way to lower any airmatic equipt vehicle.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:56 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpa4S
hey Scott - do you have any pics posted of your car? from your avitar it looks like you modified the stock silver coverage? - it looks really good!

No pics posted. My car is an 05 so all lower body panels came painted to match the body color as all 05s did.

The only change I have made to the appearance is new wheels and clear corner markers. The corners may be highlighting the silver look.
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2007, 08:53 PM
BD997
Racer

I just installed the lowering links on my 2008 CTT (www.adjustableairride.com). Installing it is easy... the hard part is getting all 4 sides to be even... took us alot of trial and error to get both side of the rear the same height, same goes for the fronts. But finally after many hours we got it to the height I wanted and was all even. Handling seems a bit better... the ride is a bit harsher in Sport Mode. so its better to drive it in Normal or Comfort... I'll post some pics soon.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:46 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 936 Likes on 567 Posts

I wish someone made a computer program for Porsche like the VAG-COM. I use that a lot on my VAG cars and you can change a LOT of stuff. I got the Durametric software and you can check for codes and clear them etc and reset service reminder, but that's about it. Not nearly as valuable for a weekend tinkerer...
Old 05-20-2007, 10:28 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BD997
I just installed the lowering links on my 2008 CTT (www.adjustableairride.com). Installing it is easy... the hard part is getting all 4 sides to be even... took us alot of trial and error to get both side of the rear the same height, same goes for the fronts. But finally after many hours we got it to the height I wanted and was all even. Handling seems a bit better... the ride is a bit harsher in Sport Mode. so its better to drive it in Normal or Comfort... I'll post some pics soon.
I suspect the harsher ride stems from increased camber. If you wanted to do fix that, you could set up the car's height you want on "normal" mode and then have it aligned.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:05 PM
BD997
Racer

Originally Posted by Scott C
I suspect the harsher ride stems from increased camber. If you wanted to do fix that, you could set up the car's height you want on "normal" mode and then have it aligned.
if I drive with it lowered I simply use normal or comfort mode and it makes it much better....
Old 05-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott C
Yep, I was told the settings are "locked" so no changing them in PIWIS.

I'm not foolish enough to think this is true, but I understand the liabilities and headaches with PCNA/PAG they want to avoid

I'm actually working on a DIY for this. It's in concept phase right now, but I plan on modifying the linkage that connects the control arm to the ride height sensor. If you lengthen it, the sensor will think the car is too high and automatically lower the car to the factory settings. This way, you redefine what the "normal" ride height is.

I hear there is a company that sells a kit that does this. I also hear it sells for $250......... I think this could be done as a DIY for about $20, a few beers and an afternoon.

Tolerances and symmetrical settings will be challengings to ensure the car sits right.

I hope to put some effort into this project this weekend. I'll document and write it up.
Did that project happen? I'm curious to hear what you learned. I tend to agree a somewhat careful DIY could work.

I'd be concerned about the PASM programming not adjusting appropriately when it's "fooled" into thinking the car is higher or lower than it "thinks" because the sensor links are no longer to spec. I could imagine it having a wallowing problem or allowing the car to bottom out (reach the travel bump stops in the dampers) unexpectedly.

Conversly, I was also thinking of a way to convince the car to run "taller" for snow or off-road. I'd like to find an after-market "manual" PASM control to perform the same gymnastics possible with "terrain control" in a Range Rover (ability to simulate a solid beam axle" or "stilts" when rock crawling etc.)
Old 05-20-2007, 07:08 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

CGT,
I bought the prototype hardware... Just need some time to fabricate..... Still a work in progress

Quick Reply: Airride lowering Q