Sponsored by:

Drove the new Cayenne Turbo today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 07:34 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove the new Cayenne Turbo today!

I drove the new CTT with the PDCC and I was impressed.

The responsiveness is amazing (and I mean transmission too), the kickdown is instantaenous and pick up is delightful. The car feels a lot lighter than my 05 CTT, delivers a very significant improvement and an equally pleasant surprise.
My expectations were that it wouldn't be very different.

The PDCC works very well in corners and will induce more than its share of speeding tickets. I think those of you who are getting this car are going to be jumping with joy at the improvements.

And I'll be interested to see if you all agree with my take on it
Old 03-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks Colm.

If I do not intend to track or take the truck off road, do you think the PDCC is beneficial to daily city driving? or will it be a waste of money? Thanks.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:12 PM
BinNY
Intermediate

But will it stay responsive is the big question. How much faster did it feel? (I have a 2004 CTT). Did you try the "sport mode"? I'd love to hear how it differs from turning PSM off. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:01 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Targa Tim

I'd definitely go for the PDCC it was great on the twisties, hence my ticket reference.

BinNY

My CTT has never been as responsive, even when driven spiritedly to bring it out of lazy mode. The kickdown always required more pedal travel too, even in non sport mode. In the new one the response was rapid with small throttle input (hence my surprise).

I tried it in Sport mode too, and it is very responsive, too responsive for street driving IMO in an SUV, and I drive my 997 in sport mode all the time.

Turning PSM off, I don't go there.

How long will it stay responsive, I can't say but my 05 never performed anything like it. I even drove an 06 Turbo S back to back with it and much preferred the 08 Turbo.

If what I observed is verified across a number of cars then I would venture to say that the "hesitation" is gone.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OK, so who is going to ask if the 08 CTT ECU is the same as the 06 CTT ECU?

Then, who is going to ask if you can use PIWIS to flash the ECU in an 06 CTT wtih 08 CTT F/W?

Old 03-01-2007, 10:02 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I didn't ask but I was wondering if in the near future there now would be a new TSB for 06 and earlier.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:09 PM
sigs
Racer

Originally Posted by ltc

Then, who is going to ask if you can use PIWIS to flash the ECU in an 06 CTT wtih 08 CTT F/W?

Me. Me. Me. Let me be first.

Actually, I guess we don't need to. You beat us to it.

While we're at it, though, who's going to ask why Colm never turns off the electronic nanny in his CTT? If i couldn't do that in my '05, given what it is like with PSM on, I would have never bought the thing in the first place.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:43 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sigs

While we're at it, though, who's going to ask why Colm never turns off the electronic nanny in his CTT?
I was going to ask, but I guess you beat me to it, so I'll ask regarding the "hesitation is gone". Wouldn't hesitation appear down the road, few thousand miles later? From what I remember, my CS performed beautifully and without hesitation when I test drove it.

Bancu's quote would be appropriate here:

I can flat out tell you the CT I drove off the lot new and half way across country was not the one I had after driving it around town for a while.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Colm, thanks for review!
Old 03-01-2007, 11:02 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

You guys!

Here goes!

1. The 06 Turbo S and 08 Turbo were driven directly off the lot, and both had about the same miles; so they were directly comparable. I'm on my second CTT (first one wrecked) and I understand the "hestitation" problem, it was identifiable in the 06 Turbo S but the 08 is a different animal. The comparison with regard to time should be the same, because initially there is a significant difference, you'd expect both to change in the same way (if you believe they change).

I am putting down a marker here, over the next few days more people will drive this car and we'll see if they agree.

The PSM staying on is a personal issue. I have never triggered the PSM in my 997S on the track (or at PDE) and that is either because a) I don't go fast enough or b) I am smooth with inputs or c) both

I know of no reason, with street driving, to get the performance out of the CTT (manual operation, if required) to turn off the the PSM.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:15 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc

I wonder to what extent this improvement could be ECU-related OR related to the apparent improvements that may be associated with the direct fuel injection feature on the 2008s?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:37 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Colm: Where have you been of late?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:47 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have been everywhere man (old song). Just spent 3 weeks down under, combined with the usual travel I have only been home for 2 week-ends since the start of the year. But, I'll be home this week-end.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:24 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by STATMAN
I wonder to what extent this improvement could be ECU-related OR related to the apparent improvements that may be associated with the direct fuel injection feature on the 2008s?
OK, let's follow that idea for a bit....

If, in fact, the Cayenne V8 was fundamentally imparted with hesitation due to the first generation fuel injection/induction system (MY03-MY06), then PSM On/Off would have no effect on the reported 'eGas hesitation', correct?

It's the S/W, you know it, they know it, they never had any intentions of ever recalling 50K vehicles to the workshop for reflash for such an issue.

Example: the current Honda Civic Si bucks like a bronco when the engine is cold. It's a fact. Honda knows about it, but isn't going to do anything about it. Why? Because if they do remap the ECU, then they have to present it back to the gov't for CAFE/CARB recertification. So, they have told customers "it's normal". Of course it's not a problem in their 2 biggest markets (CA and FL....where it's warm......that helps).
BTW, a friend owns one who has a Honda dealership. He went thru hell with Honda over this one. In the end, he simply did a ECU reflash from Hondata (aftermarket performance company who has a good working relationship with Honda).
Voila! The car runs fantastic in freezing weather cold starts. Who would have thought?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STATMAN
Probably not.

I think this all comes down to the electronics incorporated with the transmission.
You can stick any year of CTT in first gear, gas it and the pick up is almost immediate, even in 2nd with PSM on.

The downshift is the major issue, either after coasting for a while or during turns and needing speed quick while in motion.

I think a good start is to see if the new Cayenne is still using the same transmission as before and if control modules have changed.

Anyone have a current parts catalog on their system yet so we can see what has changed?

If nothing pops up in relation I will have some info for you guys early next week.

Last edited by Vino; 03-02-2007 at 03:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Drove the new Cayenne Turbo today!