Sponsored by:

Drove the new Cayenne Turbo today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 12:50 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
OK, let's follow that idea for a bit....

If, in fact, the Cayenne V8 was fundamentally imparted with hesitation due to the first generation fuel injection/induction system (MY03-MY06), then PSM On/Off would have no effect on the reported 'eGas hesitation', correct?

It's the S/W, you know it, they know it, they never had any intentions of ever recalling 50K vehicles to the workshop for reflash for such an issue.

Example: the current Honda Civic Si bucks like a bronco when the engine is cold. It's a fact. Honda knows about it, but isn't going to do anything about it. Why? Because if they do remap the ECU, then they have to present it back to the gov't for CAFE/CARB recertification. So, they have told customers "it's normal". Of course it's not a problem in their 2 biggest markets (CA and FL....where it's warm......that helps).
BTW, a friend owns one who has a Honda dealership. He went thru hell with Honda over this one. In the end, he simply did a ECU reflash from Hondata (aftermarket performance company who has a good working relationship with Honda).
Voila! The car runs fantastic in freezing weather cold starts. Who would have thought?
So, lets say that your car was going in for this months visit... but you have the system "flashed" a month ago for last months visit.... Would the reflash this visit be any better than last months? Has something changed in the electronic bag of tricks (PIWIS) that makes it worthwhile doing it again?
Old 03-03-2007, 04:05 AM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Colm, thanks for the review, but I just want to see pics of the CGT!!! Any plans to take it out to LS?
Old 03-03-2007, 04:40 AM
seedvila
Instructor

It's the S/W, you know it, they know it, they never had any intentions of ever recalling 50K vehicles to the workshop for reflash for such an issue.
PCNA likes to tell those of us in high elevations that it's due to poor fuel quality.

"All 8 coils are bad...must be bad gas"
"The rear trunk switch isn't working again?...what kind of fuel did you put in the tank?
Old 03-03-2007, 01:41 PM
sigs
Racer

Originally Posted by Colm
You guys!

The PSM staying on is a personal issue. I have never triggered the PSM in my 997S on the track (or at PDE) and that is either because a) I don't go fast enough or b) I am smooth with inputs or c) both
I know of no reason, with street driving, to get the performance out of the CTT (manual operation, if required) to turn off the the PSM.
Colm,
Thanks for the review of the '08. At least it gives some of us hope for a retrofix, however dim that hope may be.

As for your never engaging PSM: no powerslides? Ever? You're a better man than I. I think the last vehicle I owned that I didn't push past the limits at least once was my tricycle, but everyone gets to choose his own risk factors. If you ever push the Cayenne hard, you'll find that the PSM is more intrusive than on the 997, allowing less rear drift before activating, which is probably appropriate. In daily driving, the "stability" part of PSM is not a problem for me, and actually would be quite desirable.

But the real reason that I deactivate it in daily driving is that, perhaps due to my lack of finesse with the Tip, I find that the tranny will downshift quicker in Auto with PSM off than it will in Manual with PSM on, unless I have at least a full second to anticipate the shift manually. This is most notable when dropping more than 1 gear, which takes the manual Tip quite some time to think about. Maybe it's just my vehicle, or just me.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:31 PM
catchacab
Instructor

I drove a 08 TT yesterday and agree, the hesitiation is gone, from standing starts, rolling starts and tranny kickdown. They fixed the problem. I drove a 06TTS a few weeks ago and I preferred my 04 CS to it, due to the hesitation issue. I guess they are finally listening to us.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:00 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by catchacab
I drove a 08 TT yesterday and agree, the hesitiation is gone, from standing starts, rolling starts and tranny kickdown. They fixed the problem. I drove a 06TTS a few weeks ago and I preferred my 04 CS to it, due to the hesitation issue. I guess they are finally listening to us.
Fixed the problem ?
That's funny, I don't recall PCNA/PAG EVER admitting to a problem.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:26 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
I was going to ask, but I guess you beat me to it, so I'll ask regarding the "hesitation is gone". Wouldn't hesitation appear down the road, few thousand miles later? From what I remember, my CS performed beautifully and without hesitation when I test drove it.
depends on what car youre coming from before buying a Cayenne..
My friend who drive an lexus GX wanted to get rid of his car, and get a Cayenne V6, I told him dont.. and wait for the redesign..he drove a
V6 and loved it, and he thinks the CayenneS is just phenomenal, I think he would be a good example of a "few thousand mile owner experience" that youre talking about

Originally Posted by Kevin M.
Hey Colm, thanks for the review, but I just want to see pics of the CGT!!! Any plans to take it out to LS?

That's what he's doing driving around in the CGT..

Saw it yesterday in Santana Row, beautiful car...

Congrats Colm and thanks fro the review...
Old 03-05-2007, 03:37 AM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

This must be Colm....
Beautiful!!

Old 03-05-2007, 11:47 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Default New Transmission for 2008--the Tiptronic S

Originally Posted by Vino
Probably not.

I think this all comes down to the electronics incorporated with the transmission.
You can stick any year of CTT in first gear, gas it and the pick up is almost immediate, even in 2nd with PSM on.

The downshift is the major issue, either after coasting for a while or during turns and needing speed quick while in motion.

I think a good start is to see if the new Cayenne is still using the same transmission as before and if control modules have changed.

Anyone have a current parts catalog on their system yet so we can see what has changed?

If nothing pops up in relation I will have some info for you guys early next week.

According to the promotional material on the 2008 Cayenne, the new CS and CTT come standard with a "new transmission" called Tiptronic S, while the base Cayenne gets the old Tip (or 6 sp manual).

The description states that there are:

"multiple gearshift patterns, from a basic 'Economy' program for normal on-rad driving to a "Sport" setting that maximizes the engine's performance potential. Each gearshift point is automatically selected based on current driving style and road conditions. Typically, Tiptronic S automatically changes gear precisely when you would have yourself. Within a short space of time, you'll be able to influence gearshifts using the throttle alone. The benefits of Tiptronic S are particularly apparent in Sport mode. The immediacy of response, with practically no interruption in acceleration, is comparable with that of a manual gearbox."

The description, which goes on, seems to specifically address the "hesitation" issue noted by many--especially when one considers the last sentance in the above excerpt.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Please allow me to go out on a limb here.....

It sounds strikingly similar to the Sport mode (button) used in the Carrera/Boxster lineup...and I'm going to go even further and suggest it will also be strikingly similar to the Panamera transmission.

I'm also going to guess that the transmission is still produced by Aisin and mechanically bears a striking resemblence to the current (re: "discarded") transmission previously mentioned.

In other words, same H/W, just a button to activate some new S/W in the TCU/ECU.

Then again, it's just me talking to myself again......I'm sure no one heard this.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:31 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Please allow me to go out on a limb here.....

It sounds strikingly similar to the Sport mode (button) used in the Carrera/Boxster lineup...and I'm going to go even further and suggest it will also be strikingly similar to the Panamera transmission.

I'm also going to guess that the transmission is still produced by Aisin and mechanically bears a striking resemblence to the current (re: "discarded") transmission previously mentioned.

In other words, same H/W, just a button to activate some new S/W in the TCU/ECU.

Then again, it's just me talking to myself again......I'm sure no one heard this.
Okay... I think I heard a faint rumbling from the tomb of Larry. Yes, I certainly noticed that the 2008 CTT and CS are equipped with the Sport mode button just like in my 997S (along with the PSM on/off button as well). Beyond the addition of the Sport mode button, I suppose the rest of the promotional writeup I quoted previously could have just as easlly applied to the "old Cayenne Tip."

So, this may be a fancy was of saying we added the Sport mode button--like in the 997 and Boxster lines--but did little if anything else and, oh by the way, we decided to give the transmission a cute new name, "Tiptronic S," to help is sound truly revolutionary (or evolutionary--to use the proper Porsche vernacular). Does that sound about right?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:00 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by STATMAN
Okay... I think I heard a faint rumbling from the tomb of Larry. Yes, I certainly noticed that the 2008 CTT and CS are equipped with the Sport mode button just like in my 997S (along with the PSM on/off button as well). Beyond the addition of the Sport mode button, I suppose the rest of the promotional writeup I quoted previously could have just as easlly applied to the "old Cayenne Tip."

So, this may be a fancy was of saying we added the Sport mode button--like in the 997 and Boxster lines--but did little if anything else and, oh by the way, we decided to give the transmission a cute new name, "Tiptronic S," to help is sound truly revolutionary (or evolutionary--to use the proper Porsche vernacular). Does that sound about right?
http://frogstar.com/wav/displaywav.asp?fil=fewgmen.wav
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2007, 08:26 AM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by STATMAN
...Beyond the addition of the Sport mode button, I suppose the rest of the promotional writeup I quoted previously could have just as easlly applied to the "old Cayenne Tip."...
Drop out the ‘S’ and ‘Sport’ setting references and that _is_ the copy they used to describe the Tiptronic transmission in the Cayenne originally.

In some promotional material Porsche went on to note that the Cayenne’s Tiptronic transmission took just about _everything_ into account to facilate:
- Active shifting into most sporting map
- Prevent deceleration upshifts before curves
- Downshifting during braking
- Holding gear in curves
- Staged upshifts take place in stages

Obviously the ‘holding gear in curves’ feature does not translate into simple turns on city streets for many of us.

That written, the latest DME update has been making a difference for me. It seems to have going much further than earlier DME updates to address many of concerns. I’m getting engine response (felt and heard) even when I ease the accelerator pedal on lightly at low speeds and in stop and go traffic. I don't recall this as being the case with past DME updates.

I'm also beginning to wonder if this DME update lets the boost build up sooner than prior ones.

The jury is still out for me as to this DME update helping out on gear selection coming out of in-city turns.

Like Enigma I’m just wondering when/if the gains are going to be adapted out.

Last edited by bancu; 03-06-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:34 AM
sigs
Racer

ltc,

A true cynic (which, of course, I am not) reading your post would think that P might have done the following with the new Cayenne:
1. Eliminate the granny mode from the TCU, such that it responds like the old TCU with PSM off - then call it a "new" transmission, the "Tiptronic S."
2. Put in a Sport button that doesn't do anything too dramatic, as with the Sport Chrono on the 997TT, but rather just adapts the ECU throttle settings to the same as those with the PSM off.

Such adaptations would have the advantage of "improving performance," while leaving the stability features of PSM fully functional - a significant advantage for owners, but, more importantly, a whole new marketing campaign for PAG. If this was, indeed, the approach, it would seem to indicate that they must have determined that it is the throttle settings, rather than the transmission settings, that affect the gas mileage numbers more substantially, since that is where they restricted the "new" settings to a selectable option.

Of course, if such cynical thinking were accurate, there would still be the question of the "adaptive" granny mode. On the other hand, a true optimist would think that real (albeit just SW) changes have been made and that Bancu's DME update won't adapt toward wheelchair mode over time.

Keeping my fingers crossed, - cynically.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:07 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by sigs
..... If this was, indeed, the approach....
IF?
Trust me, there's no IF.

Quick Reply: Drove the new Cayenne Turbo today!