Sponsored by:

Dealing with DUI's in New Mexico

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 04:55 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealing with DUI's in New Mexico

I hope I'm not being offensive. But this is just really insane for the state government to endorse.

Urinal cakes deliver anti-DWI message in bar restrooms

Last Update: 02/11/2007 2:35:12 PM
By: Associated Press

SANTA FE (AP) - New Mexico is taking its fight against drunken driving to men’s restrooms around the state.

The state has ordered 500 talking urinal cakes that will deliver a recorded anti-DWI message to bar and restaurant patrons who make one last pit stop before getting behind the wheel.

The top of the devices feature the state DWI slogan — “You drink, you drive, you lose.”

Some Albuquerque bars installed the devices this week.

And the state Transportation Department plans to distribute them to Santa Fe bars and restaurants as well as establishments in Farmington, Gallup and Las Cruces.

The state spent $21 for each talking urinal cake for the pilot program but will ask bars and restaurants to pay for future orders if the idea catches on.

The cakes have enough battery power to last about three months
Old 02-19-2007, 06:14 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you think they would make one that says "Porsche....There Is No Substitute" or "Pure Porsche" when you pee on it?
If so, put me in for a couple hundred.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:58 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have libertarian leanings... but OTOH, I can imagine the devastation caused by jerks who drink and drive. Talking urinal cakes? Hmmm... sounds wasteful. If the restaurant owners paid for them in a free market I'd support it but if the state's paying... but then the state "pays" anyways when people drive drunk. So it's pretty much a wash. If it gets the word out to a few more people I guess it's not ALL bad.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What we really need are urinal cakes that change color when your BAL is over .08% There's a multi-million dollar idea!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:26 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Originally Posted by charlieXS
I have libertarian leanings... but OTOH, I can imagine the devastation caused by jerks who drink and drive. Talking urinal cakes? Hmmm... sounds wasteful. If the restaurant owners paid for them in a free market I'd support it but if the state's paying... but then the state "pays" anyways when people drive drunk. So it's pretty much a wash. If it gets the word out to a few more people I guess it's not ALL bad.

They say that New Mexico is the Capital of Drunk Driving. There have been some recent accidents, with a lot of people killed, where someone goes the wrong way on the freeway. This has spurred the Governor to seek legislation that bans alcohol on any commercial flight that stops in this state.

Anyone that drives around here sees the signs where DWI checkpoints are everywhere. Well there not. Never seen one. That may be different in Santa Fe or ABQ. But it's an empty threat elsewhere. While I enjoy not minding the speed limit, the lack of anybody enforcing anything just tells the person that drinks and goes home that they can keep getting away with it.

So I think the government should quit wasting money on urinal cakes and put some teeth into enforcement. I never minded stopping for those check points in other states. The Day of Drinking and Driving being over has come.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:30 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
What we really need are urinal cakes that change color when your BAL is over .08% There's a multi-million dollar idea!
The guy who does that will be able to compete with Jerry Seinfeld with Porsche Collections.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:44 AM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChipAZ
IThe cakes have enough battery power to last about three months
just be glad you're not the guy changing the batteries

Quick Reply: Dealing with DUI's in New Mexico