Sponsored by:

"What's the Damage?"

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007 | 03:00 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
85 AND SUNNY...............IM NOT MISSING THE 12 INCHS BACK HOME GOT TODAY
Are you at Champion or the Collection? I always try to make a pit stop at one of those when I am in town.
Old 02-14-2007 | 03:02 PM
golfguy
Racer

Originally Posted by rome
Brought my '06 CS in for a simple oil change today. Easy enough, right?...Not quite.

Let's see....

1. Front brake pads 95% worn. Rear brake pads- 80% worn. Dealer says I have to replace rotors along with the pads. (Is this true?...someone, anyone...LTC? Larry? Sounds a little fishy to me. I thought the rotors get replaced only if you wear through the brake pads...but what do I know, I have a philiosophy degree, not an engineering degree...He gave me some technical mumbo jumbo that flew over my head...Shortly thereafter, I proved the immortality of the soul for him, but we still had not reached agreement about the rotors. Please advise.)

2. Dealer also says-- Big, huge nail in rear tire...never noticed it myself...God only knows how long it's been there for...Dealer says they can't patch because of the rating on these tires (This also sounds a little fishy to me because they are all weather tires, not performance rated tires). Tires are about 75% worn at 32K miles...What the heck-- I'll take 4 new tires. (I am planning to keep the car for a while so I will eventually need a new set anyway)

Dealer tells me that the whole she-bang, including the oil change, will come in at $2,300.
Rome,

sounds fishy to me unless the brakepad sensor lights came on. ask to see the pads and ask why they wore at relatively the same rate.

even when it does, you have about 20% thickness to go (but i'm sure you don't want to wait that long). also the fronts and rears don't wear at the same rate. for example, my front brakes were good for about 20k miles and the rears for 39k miles before the sensor came on.

dealers always replace rotors at the same time to keep the min. thickness throughout the life of the new pads. zimmerman rotors are a lot cheaper than porsche oe ones.
Old 02-14-2007 | 03:15 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Originally Posted by golfguy
Rome,

even when it does, you have about 20% thickness to go (but i'm sure you don't .
ive only seen one cayenne go far past the time when the light came on, guy didnt want brakes but couldnt understand why the truck wouldnt stop. i made him sign a wavier and tow thhe car out of the dealer.

lights on buy the brakes, if you cant afford them get rid of the porsche
Old 02-14-2007 | 03:28 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

For those who have asked, here are the wear specs on my rotors which explained why they needed to be replaced. This comes from an e mail the Service manager at my dealer sent me. Seems reasonable to me, and in line with what Brad has said. FWIW-- This dealer has always struck me as very trustworthy in the sales and service sides.

"The spec that the rotors are at is to thin to machine. The rotors have
to be at a min spec of 34mm to be resurfaced. Yours are at 33.1 and
33.4. They are below min thickness after machining. So what this means
is you can only machine them too 33.6. With yours already below 33.6
they can not worked."
Old 02-14-2007 | 03:39 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shamus
where can you buy a $10 micrometer?
also I searched and couldnt come up with the limits does anyone know them?
Not sure about $10 but you can pick up a digital one with LCD screen on ebay for $20-$30.
Old 02-14-2007 | 03:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by wilfred
Not sure about $10 but you can pick up a digital one with LCD screen on ebay for $20-$30.
Or $7.99 from Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93293
Old 02-14-2007 | 03:49 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ltc
Hey, that's like the same ones they sell on ebay.. i got ripped off
Old 02-14-2007 | 06:12 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Originally Posted by rome
Are you at Champion or the Collection? I always try to make a pit stop at one of those when I am in town.

i dont know that i can say that might be considered promoting from a non sponser
Old 02-14-2007 | 07:39 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

How about: Are you a Winner or an Accumulator?
Old 02-14-2007 | 09:32 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
i dont know that i can say that might be considered promoting from a non sponser

No sweat. Got the answer from your profile on my own.

VERY VERY cool place to work everyday! May see you down there. (I am a part time-- too infrequent IMO-- resident of Miami).
Old 02-14-2007 | 10:35 PM
sigs
Racer

We all feel your pain, Rome. Unfortunately, if you drive this vehicle the way you probably intended to when you bought it, even if everything else goes well, it's "tires and brakes," "brakes and tires." What tires are you going to put on it?

BTW, did you get the DME remap done?
Old 02-14-2007 | 11:05 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sigs
We all feel your pain, Rome. Unfortunately, if you drive this vehicle the way you probably intended to when you bought it, even if everything else goes well, it's "tires and brakes," "brakes and tires." What tires are you going to put on it?

BTW, did you get the DME remap done?
Really not upset about the price. I know I could save some via tire rack but this is more convenient and worth the small difference to avoid the hassle.

They did do a remap. I don't have the car back yet, so I can't tell you the result, but the service manager and tech said it will make the acceleration feel more 'immediate'. Generally, it has been fine. My only observation is that it seems to delay, as if it's thinking about it , when I try to accelerate at speed. The remap, they say, will cure this.

BTW-- They gave me a Q7 loaner and it is "NO SUBSTITUTE" for my Cayenne S.
Old 02-15-2007 | 10:28 AM
sigs
Racer

I'm with you. I generally get this sort of stuff done at the dealer, even if it costs a moderate premium. That way, I only have one source to hassle with, if something is wrong, rather than 2-3 different vendors pointing the finger at each other.

Let us know about the remap. Also, if you are switching tires to a new brand or type, give us a report on any differences you notice.
Old 02-15-2007 | 12:25 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Brad, any idea why the warning light wouldn't come on if pads are completely worn out to the point where they're touching the red wire?
Old 02-15-2007 | 12:38 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

touching doesnt matter
not unitll the wire is broken

Quick Reply: "What's the Damage?"