Sponsored by:

Arghhhh!! Small Chip in Windshield.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 01:12 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Arghhhh!! Small Chip in Windshield.

Exiting the interstate, dump truck passes me as I'm in the deceleration lane.. guess he was hauling gravel/stone or picked up one and sent it bouncing towards the Tit.S.. bounced off the pavement right into the pax side of my windshield.. FIRST time experience for me.. got a crack line (less than a 1/2 inch).

I've never used these windshield repair dudes.. comments?
Is it epoxy or what.. how does it actually seal/cure?
I'll research on the web, but just wondering what others have done with PAG windshields... are they stronger than normal due to high speed capability or not?

also, I've been told they will bill your insurance company who'll gladly pay them.. true? would really prefer not to have to get a new windshield.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:28 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MadFox

I've never used these windshield repair dudes.. comments?
Is it epoxy or what.. how does it actually seal/cure?
I'll research on the web, but just wondering what others have done with PAG windshields... are they stronger than normal due to high speed capability or not?
Sorry to hear that. I've never had a cracked windshield before the Cayenne, but I just returned from a dealer replacing 2nd one in less than 6 months. So whether it's stronger than normal I doubt, but I've literally had huge rocks flying at me off of huge trucks both times.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:29 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check with your insurance company.
Up here in MA, you are allowed one windshield per year, as long as the crack/damage is above a specified minimum. A lot of folks up here will "miraculously" have windshield damage every 2 years (re: ball peen hammer) in order to get a new windshield; the sand/salt on the roads in the winter does pit the windshields quite a bit and you forget what it's like to have a new windshield.
(No, I'm not one of the ball peen hammer folks, IF I ever owned a Cayenne and it needed a new windshield, I'd simply drive the Cayenne into a wall at 40mph to make sure I did it right)

If below the minimum, they will pay for a repair, which when done basically leaves the crack invisible.

Your dealer likely doesn't do glass repair/replacement, they will call in an auto glass company. Simply call them and verify that they use OEM glass, likely provided by the dealer parts department if they do the repair at the dealership.

I doubt a 1/2" crack is a structural issue requiring a replacement, I'd guess they'd just repair it and you won't see it again.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:52 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 572 Posts

Agree with Lewis- if it's small enough it can be repaired and made almost invisible. Only problem may be if it's in the tinted part up high as they have trouble matching that sometimes.
I've had chips repaired in the Mini, an older 964, and a S4 with decent results, and I'm pretty picky... I'd like to shot those morons in the uncovered gravel trucks BTW!!! I hate it when there is road construction on a stretch I have to use often...
Old 02-05-2007, 10:59 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go the repair route, you may want to act rather quickly. With the cold weather last winter, I had a small pit the size of a pencil eraser turn into a 2 foot long crack. The cold weather and the chages in temperature from having the heat on and off in the car are likely to do the same to your windshield. I had mine replaced at the dealer with an OEM windshield. They did a perfect job.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:18 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Repair works well. It may still be visible, but at least it won't spread.

I had the windshield in my wife's Audi repaired 6 years ago and it looks good today. Right now it looks like a small nick..... As it did 6 years ago.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:57 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I talked to dealer they use some independent biz.. sounds like a franchise type deal.. been extremely cold here 20's and then heats up to 50's with lots of sun.. so I'm concerned about getting it "fixed" quickly before that crack becomes "mucho largo". May be a good before/after pic for future rock absorbing Cayennes...

Speaking of rocks.. the Super Bowl Bud Light commercial was one of the only good ones.. where there's one Bud Light left.. two guys grab it at the same time.. and rock, paper, scissors for it.. and the guy beans the other with a real rock.. "but I had paper"... funny except when it hits your windshield!
Old 02-05-2007, 01:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

.. been extremely cold here 20's and then heats up to 50's with lots of sun..
20's....extremely cold.....in the same sentence?

20deg .... in winter....it's T shirt time.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:35 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
20's....extremely cold.....in the same sentence?

20deg .... in winter....it's T shirt time.
Remember.. I'm down here where normally we consider it COLD... HORRIBLY COLD below 50! T-shirts and Shorts at those temperatures are ONLY for those guys from MA or MN!
Old 02-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Eastwoos
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I would prefer to replace windshield

FWIW - I would not repair the windshield. Costs $90-100 (insurance might pay) looks like crap (leaves a noticeable nick in the windshield) and will bug you for years. I had my windshield replaced at Safelite Auto Glass for less than $300 they put in a St. Gobain OEM windshield which is as good or better than the old one. Took an hour or so and they did an excellent job. Rain sensing wipers still work great.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:34 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Default Resolution

Originally Posted by Eastwoos
FWIW - I would not repair the windshield. Costs $90-100 (insurance might pay) looks like crap (leaves a noticeable nick in the windshield) and will bug you for years..
Well, took it over at lunch to the insurance pay direct place.. young guy working out of an office-warehouse space.. he talked on the phone about some poker tournament while I sat in the car and listend to Rush Limbaugh talk about how global warming is the new religion of the left (BTW, I agree).. so, here's what happened..

took all of 20 minutes.. The cost being billed directly to my insurance company on the invoice was $59 (have no idea if they then pay less). The crack is gone.. there are two small "dots" in the glass I assume this is where he got on each side of the crack and then filled the crack with the resin. IMHO, it is on the pax side.. barely noticeable.. I believe I can live with it.. if it was in the middle of the driver side might be an issue.. but not sure I'd spend $250 comprehensive deductible without seeing if I can make it first. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:43 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Small dots are likley to relieve stress and prevent further crack migration.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:45 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

while I sat in the car and listend to Rush Limbaugh talk about how global warming is the new religion of the left (BTW, I agree)..
I can't find that damn smiley illustrating how I'm scraping my jaw off the floor!
Old 02-05-2007, 04:53 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
I can't find that damn smiley illustrating how I'm scraping my jaw off the floor!
Surely you'd figured out that a former military.. southerner is CONSERVATIVE! .. if you want to honestly hear some opposing views on global warming and why we can still drive the hell out of our SUV's (a 30 year climatologist from Canada with PhD) here's a link for those that want ammo..

http://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/...ming020507.htm

Hugs Enigmawmn! I still love your photos!

SORRY .. yes this is
Old 02-05-2007, 05:04 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Hugs Enigmawmn! I still love your photos!

SORRY .. yes this is
And I love yours .. as well as your choice to shoot Nikon. But you should tune into Stern once in a while, to listen-in on a different view on Limbaugh :-D

Quick Reply: Arghhhh!! Small Chip in Windshield.