Sponsored by:

HELP:: Sport's Mode on the Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 12:00 AM
///ArmanD
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP:: Sport's Mode on the Cayenne S

Guys, just got an 04 Cayenne S blk/blk. I love it.

But there is a problem. My dad said if you put the car in SPORT'S MODE , you must use the Tiptronic buttuns to shift or the car will have problems.

I think his wrong. I never heard that before. Plus I hate using the buttuns. What do you guys think??
Old 02-05-2007, 12:15 AM
turbo187
Advanced

not true
Old 02-05-2007, 12:22 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 945 Likes on 576 Posts

Not sure what you mean by sport mode- turning off the PSM? If so, it still shifts itself, it just starts out in 1st and shifts at higher shift points. The sport mode with PASM has nothing to do with shifting...
Old 02-05-2007, 12:34 AM
///ArmanD
4th Gear

When I mean sports mode. I mean...

P - park
N - nuetral
R - Reverse
+/- D - drive <--------( Thats what I'm talking about)

When I put the **** sideways on the left.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:35 AM
turbo187
Advanced

Originally Posted by skl
Not sure what you mean by sport mode- turning off the PSM? If so, it still shifts itself, it just starts out in 1st and shifts at higher shift points. The sport mode with PASM has nothing to do with shifting...
i thought he meant the "sport" button, not turning off PSM.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:43 AM
///ArmanD
4th Gear

No, the cayyene doesn't come with the sport button. It comes with the shift ****..to put it in sport's mode
Old 02-05-2007, 12:54 AM
turbo187
Advanced

Originally Posted by ///ArmanD
No, the cayyene doesn't come with the sport button. It comes with the shift ****..to put it in sport's mode
okay, while mine does

having it in "manual" mode won't hurt it. Since you don't like shifting with the buttons, i guess you prefer using the shift ****. That won't hurt it.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:56 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're confused.. when you push the lever to the left .. you are simply in manual tiptronic mode for the Cayenne.. this feature works differently than any other Porsche automatic transmission.. in the 911, Boxster, Cayman .. when you go to Manual (pull to the left).. only the tiptronic buttons on the steering wheel work.. HOWEVER on the Cayenne.. when you pull it over to the left (manual) then both the tiptronic on the steering wheel can be used AND you can use the auto trans. selector like a stick shift -- i.e. pushing it forward advances the drivetrain one gear.. pulling it to the rear, shifts the transmission down a gear..
IMHO, it is a feature that should be put in all their vehicles.. more people would probably opt for automatic if the automatic/manual transmission in the 911, Boxster and Cayman worked like the Cayenne.. are you listening PAG more $$$
Old 02-05-2007, 01:08 AM
///ArmanD
4th Gear

Originally Posted by MadFox
You're confused.. when you push the lever to the left .. you are simply in manual tiptronic mode for the Cayenne.. this feature works differently than any other Porsche automatic transmission.. in the 911, Boxster, Cayman .. when you go to Manual (pull to the left).. only the tiptronic buttons on the steering wheel work.. HOWEVER on the Cayenne.. when you pull it over to the left (manual) then both the tiptronic on the steering wheel can be used AND you can use the auto trans. selector like a stick shift -- i.e. pushing it forward advances the drivetrain one gear.. pulling it to the rear, shifts the transmission down a gear..
IMHO, it is a feature that should be put in all their vehicles.. more people would probably opt for automatic if the automatic/manual transmission in the 911, Boxster and Cayman worked like the Cayenne.. are you listening PAG more $$$
So, can I leave the shift **** to the left when I drive normally, or do I have to shift.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:18 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

So, can I leave the shift **** to the left when I drive normally, or do I have to shift.
Wow.. when to the left it will stay in whatever gear you're in.. although I guess I've never really tested that theory (that is it will advance if you redline it).. YOU HAVE to push up/pull down to advance gears.. it is like driving with a manual transmission when to the left.. if you start off from a full stop, you'll see in the dash M2 and you'll advance the RPM's .. it has an automatic clutch (obviously) and if you push it up, it'll then go to M3.. etc. etc. if you're cruising with it in D and want to use your gears to slow down... pull it over to the left and you can downshift manually... if you're going say 70 MPH, you'll go from D6 to M6 in the display.. you can then downshift and you'll potentially save some wear on your brakes.

Now, you're a new user of the forum... and not to be "harsh"... but I've always wanted to use this icon.. and, I'm a little surprised at the questions.. the best place to get the answer is your vehicle's manual.. in fact, it is pretty good reference book.. not great but pretty good.. READ it, there is a lot of good info.. and finally... uh-hum..................
Old 02-05-2007, 01:43 AM
turbo187
Advanced

you don't have to shift. once you redline, it will up shift. but expect a VERY jerky ride
Old 02-05-2007, 08:05 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

OMG !
Old 02-05-2007, 11:31 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Could someone please add some chlorine to the gene pool?

Hugs and Kisses from Beyond the Grave,
Larry
Old 02-05-2007, 11:33 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, but you will find the clutch to be a bit tricky.....
Old 02-05-2007, 12:52 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Could someone please add some chlorine to the gene pool?

Hugs and Kisses from Beyond the Grave,
Larry
I Love Larry.. I could sense his spirit when I finally got to use

Quick Reply: HELP:: Sport's Mode on the Cayenne S