Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why pepper?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007 | 10:57 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Default why pepper?

Hi guys. I got a huge surprise the other day when a turbo pulled up beside me. This Chic totally smoked my 79/928 from the light. Only then did i get to see "turbo" as she pulled away like i was going backwards.

So i thought i would drop down a few lines on rennlist and see what these things are all about. It seems as the 928 to "Shark" is Cayenne to "Pepper". Why?
Old 01-26-2007 | 12:32 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Pepper" as in Cayenne pepper, perhaps?
Old 01-26-2007 | 12:34 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cayenne's are all the more impressive when you consider that they actually are made to go off-road AND on-road!!!!

Old 01-26-2007 | 09:23 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

IIRC when the naming was discussed, PAG selected Cayenne based on the Pepper. Hence the reason we call it a Pepper. SPICY!
Old 01-26-2007 | 09:57 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
Hi guys. I got a huge surprise the other day when a turbo pulled up beside me. This Chic totally smoked my 79/928 from the light. Only then did i get to see "turbo" as she pulled away like i was going backwards. So i thought i would drop down a few lines on rennlist and see what these things are all about. It seems as the 928 to "Shark" is Cayenne to "Pepper". Why?
Like many of the "new" sports car variants at PAG over the years, the "pepper" has had its detractors.... some justified in that the early production models (affectionately called alpha (03) beta (04), there was a VERY BAD implementation by PAG. Needless glitches, poor design etc. on components to the vehicle.. however, the engine, suspension, "wow" factor in driving an off-road vehicle led many of us to "grin and bear it". However, the Cayenne has now become a much better vehicle and the Cayman crowd can thank the bitching/moaning/lawsuits/lemon arbitrations of the dissatisfied Cayenne crowd for moving PAG back to the top of the JDPower quality award standings.. and the Panamera, I suspect will also be a near flawless launch as a result of the "pepper" that often had to be sprinkled on PCNA's head! Now, Porsche can correctly say that the Cayenne is the best SUV on the planet. While I only have a S (for my needs it is quick enough and gets nearly 20MPG highway/15 around town even with aggressive driving), the Turbo version is "wicked fast" and incredibly well-appointed, etc.

Come on in ... the water is warm in a '06 or later.

Quick Reply: why pepper?