Sponsored by:

SIM card not picking up signals

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 07:07 AM
dellybelly
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIM card not picking up signals

I just got a Cayenne S Titanium edition and the telephone doesnt work. When the SIM is inserted it reads "checking card" but doesnt pick up any network signal. I have tried 3 different SIMS on 3 different networks in different locations. However those SIMS work when inserted into a phone. Porsche dealer say they are looking into it. Any ideas?
Old 01-24-2007, 08:02 AM
Ton
Intermediate

"Any ideas?"

In the country were I live the in-built telephone only works with the sim of 2 providers. They have a rather oldfashioned network and the innerwork of the P-telephone is also rather old fashioned ;-)
Old 01-24-2007, 09:58 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

I know, for e.g., that the Verizon Sim cards will not work with the PCM 2.1 phone
Old 01-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

In the US, the only SIM cards that will work come from Cingular and T-Mobile. Both are GSM-based carriers. Verizon and Sprint are CDMA carriers. The PCM-based phone module will ONLY accept GSM SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) cards - as it is a GSM phone. Do you know if these are the older 16K or newer 64K SIM cards?
Old 01-26-2007, 11:36 AM
dellybelly
5th Gear

Thanks. The cards have used are GSM cards that corresponds exactly with what is described in the PCM owner's manual. What is the issue about the old 16k and new one and how does one find out which is which?
Old 01-26-2007, 02:12 PM
TomFromCT
Instructor

Just a wild shot, but are you sure your car has the phone module? You say you just picked it up. Did you buy off the lot or to order? Most cars that dealers ordered for stock didn't have the phone module installed. They can retrofit it, of course.
Cars without the phone module look the same as those that do. You still get the little drawer to insert your SIM card. There are just no electronics to back it up.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:19 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TomFromCT
Just a wild shot, but are you sure your car has the phone module? You say you just picked it up. Did you buy off the lot or to order? Most cars that dealers ordered for stock didn't have the phone module installed. They can retrofit it, of course.
Cars without the phone module look the same as those that do. You still get the little drawer to insert your SIM card. There are just no electronics to back it up.
Good point... and just fyi.. the retrofit is VERY expensive.. like on the order of $2000 plus.. have to tear apart the car to run wires to rear antenna area and the kit is right at a $1000.. another grand to install at Porsche dealer anyway.. and that's with a discount.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:58 PM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Bluetooth Kit Recommendations!!

Can anyone recommend a good Bluetooth Kit that I can install in my new Cayenne? I have a 3.5 year old Motorola kit in my 03 S but it has never worked all that well. Somewhat intermittent in picking of the phone BT signal, volume is pretty low and the folks I call have a hard time hearing me. I have not shopped around for these lately and would appreciate learning if there are any really good products out there. Thank you.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:05 AM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

I screwed up and did not mean to post the BT topic on this post, I thought I was starting a new thread. I apologize for the apparent hijacking.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:32 AM
dellybelly
5th Gear

Car was bought to order and has the phone module
Old 02-05-2007, 07:17 AM
dellybelly
5th Gear

Still on this subject, i am still trouble shooting and looking for answers. Could it be something to do with the antenna? where is it located anyway?
Old 02-05-2007, 08:31 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dellybelly
Still on this subject, i am still trouble shooting and looking for answers
Could it be something to do with the antenna?
No.
Originally Posted by dellybelly
where is it located anyway?
Under the rear spoiler's painted cover, along with the rest of the antennae
Old 02-05-2007, 08:35 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cay-ute
Can anyone recommend a good Bluetooth Kit that I can install in my new Cayenne? I have a 3.5 year old Motorola kit in my 03 S but it has never worked all that well. Somewhat intermittent in picking of the phone BT signal, volume is pretty low and the folks I call have a hard time hearing me. I have not shopped around for these lately and would appreciate learning if there are any really good products out there. Thank you.
Most people go with Parrot:
http://www.driveblue.com/
The 3100 and up series are well designed and well received.
You can contact Crutchfield for assistance with in vehicle wiring adapters, etc...or just leave it up to the installer if you prefer.

I've "fooled around".....no, don't ask.....with Motorola Bluetooth kits and have never had any issues.
http://www.motorola.com/automotive/solution_blnc.html

If only someone, somewhere, would do an OEM integration of Bluetooth into Porsche vehicles......If only Larry were still around.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:17 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Do SIM cards from Alltell work? That is the only cell company out here in no man's land that gets any kind of a signal. Or is Alltel like Verizon?
Old 02-05-2007, 06:57 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Actually to answer my own question is no. So my $3000 dollar fancy Porsche phone is as worthless as teats on a you know what. Maybe someday Cingular will build a tower here. But I doubt it.

Quick Reply: SIM card not picking up signals