Sponsored by:

Stiff Tiptronic shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007 | 12:36 PM
BBailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Stiff Tiptronic shifter

Had a minor incident with an immovable object yesterday morning in the icy conditions we had down here in Texas and now the shifter on my '05 Cayenne is acting funny.

Symptoms:
Still goes into gear fine, though the tiptronic function isn't working at all. Very difficult to shift into park. Engages fine, feels like the shifter itself is binding a bit. Looking at the shifter, it looks like the plastic trim around the shifter is binding.

Anyone experienced anything like this before? Any thoughts on fixes? She's under warranty so not terribly worried about cost, just curious what the heck it is and whether its an easy fix or not.

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 01-18-2007 | 01:19 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

sounds like the shifter itself is bidning, should be under warrenty take it to the dealer
Old 01-19-2007 | 05:34 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

What was the minor incident and is there any chance the shift linkage below the car could have been "tweaked" in a bad way?
Old 01-19-2007 | 07:47 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Originally Posted by BBailey
Had a minor incident with an immovable object yesterday morning in the icy conditions we had down here in Texas and now the shifter on my '05 Cayenne is acting funny...... She's under warranty so not terribly worried about cost, just curious what the heck it is and whether its an easy fix or not.
How do you get one of those fancy warranties where you get to crash into stuff? After I read your message I called my dealer and he told me that that is not allowed.

Am I being ripped off?
Old 01-19-2007 | 10:41 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Originally Posted by JFScheck
What was the minor incident and is there any chance the shift linkage below the car could have been "tweaked" in a bad way?

if the cars movign under its own power theres little chance of the linkage or cable being damaged. is the little rubber insdie the gate loose or peeled back?
Old 01-22-2007 | 02:23 PM
BBailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
if the cars movign under its own power theres little chance of the linkage or cable being damaged. is the little rubber insdie the gate loose or peeled back?
Yes, it looks like the little rubber gate is binding on something or simply off track if there's a track under the console there.

She runs fine, she goes into gear fine, it just feels like binding in the shift lever.

Quick Reply: Stiff Tiptronic shifter