Sponsored by:

Low range gear question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 12:57 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Low range gear question

Driving on the trans Canadian highway, often entails driving on compact snow with some black ice thrown in. The Canadians have no qualms driving 70 mph in these conditions (it was a shocker the first time I drove it)!

I was wondering in these conditions if you would consider placing the car in low range gear or even locking the center differential.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:52 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi there
This Canadian is very careful with black ice situations. Usually,the first vehicle off the road is a 4x4 and bad things happen with a high center of gravity...typically a roll-over. The only thing that helps is having good winter tires (I have Michelin X-Ice on my Sequoia). Low range/locking diff only assists with forward traction and won't help if you get a 5,000 lb plus vehicle sliding on ice.

Please be careful!!!!
Old 01-08-2007, 04:21 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no need for low range when your moving only when your stuck (usualy in mud and muck) the last thing you need is more torque to the ground in situations of questionable traction.
center diff lock is the same thing, your asking for an accident going at any speed on slipery pavement with the diff locked.

have good tires and use common sense, no technology will ever replace that
Old 01-09-2007, 05:27 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Their right, low range is for low speed 4-wheeling not for driving on ice and snow at speed. The Cayenne will only do around 30 in low range.

The gullies are full of SUV drivers up in Denver right now that go to fast. Having 4WD doesn't change the laws of physics.

Quick Reply: Low range gear question