Staggering Depreciation

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 04:30 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by good hands
a p car is one that i don't hesitate to buy used. there are so many crazy addicts like you guys ( and ok, me too ) that take excessive care of our vehicles. It's always easy to find a fanatically maintained Porsche and let the other guy take most of the depreciation.
My only disagreement with this whole thread is the propensity of a lot of these guys to trade vehicles every other nanosecond. Every time you trade -- you lose. If, or more appropriately, when I buy a 997 cab. I will more than likely buy it new (unless the dealer has a great CPO).... mainly because it isn't a car that I'm going to trade 12 months down the road like, again, and sorry to the guilty as charged crowd here, and thus take a blood bath on depreciation. Depreciation "hits" when you take a car from new to 100K miles and 4 to 7 years is the way to go.. that being said, I do agree that Porsches are different than Acuras, Hondas etc. when buying used. I have friends that buy used exclusively but then they usually trade more frequently and have maintenance issues, etc. In my case, my wife and I put 25K miles on a car in a "light" year and usually closer to 30K miles. I buy ext. warranties to get us to 100K miles and thus usually have very little problems and know for fact that the vehicle has been properly maintained and serviced. And we don't lease vehicles for the same reasoning due to the high miles we put on cars. The only used vehicles that I buy are 5 year old Volvo "tanks" for each of my 3 kids. Volvos because my wife lost a brother to a car accident and she wants a "tank" surrounding her babies during the 16-21 years. Can honestly say that because I have a great Volvo independent service guy, we've kept repair costs manageable.. but, if I could have counted on them not banging them into curbs etc. I'd prefer to have bought new. RANT OVER! Depreciation hits after a year or two or three when trading a vehicle are strictly the issue of the vehicle owner's desire to have the latest greatest, IMHO.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Reefminis
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used values are based off of base price. Just becuase one car may have $20k more in options than another car of the same model and like condition and mileage, doesn't technically mean that it is worth more. A dealer might toss a few more bucks at you if they think that the car will sell quicker, but it won't be much more.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Reefminis
Used values are based off of base price. Just becuase one car may have $20k more in options than another car of the same model and like condition and mileage, doesn't technically mean that it is worth more. A dealer might toss a few more bucks at you if they think that the car will sell quicker, but it won't be much more.

Not neccessarily true; why would kbb even give you the option to select 'options' if they didn't add some value.

a) you always get the biggest hit within the first year. Always.
b) if you're paying at or close to MSRP for the current body style Cayenne, you're asleep at the wheel...but i'd be willing to bet most of you got great deals....so you're trade in vs. what you paid is what you should base it on. not trade in vs. MSRP. - Come on, that's not even remotely close to reality.
c) trade in is compared to the current market- as most of you know, the pepper market is a bit weird if not really stale. But not in ALL markets.
d) it's based against what's around the corner (ie, newer models).

While I truely feel your pain regarding trade ins, you guys flipping your cars so quickly are paying the highest price with facing the largest depreciating costs. So of course it's gonna seem outta whack. Hold onto it for two or more years, and you'll see that trade in stablize a lot more- pretty much with any vehicle you'll see that.

chipAZ just reinforces what I mean. Flipping quickly= paying the highest price.

However, there is a way to minimize your financial exposure- and that's by working with an aggressive dealer.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:24 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by MadFox
My only disagreement with this whole thread is the propensity of a lot of these guys to trade vehicles every other nanosecond. Every time you trade -- you lose. If, or more appropriately, when I buy a 997 cab. I will more than likely buy it new (unless the dealer has a great CPO).... mainly because it isn't a car that I'm going to trade 12 months down the road like, again, and sorry to the guilty as charged crowd here, and thus take a blood bath on depreciation. Depreciation "hits" when you take a car from new to 100K miles and 4 to 7 years is the way to go.. that being said, I do agree that Porsches are different than Acuras, Hondas etc. when buying used. I have friends that buy used exclusively but then they usually trade more frequently and have maintenance issues, etc. In my case, my wife and I put 25K miles on a car in a "light" year and usually closer to 30K miles. I buy ext. warranties to get us to 100K miles and thus usually have very little problems and know for fact that the vehicle has been properly maintained and serviced. And we don't lease vehicles for the same reasoning due to the high miles we put on cars. The only used vehicles that I buy are 5 year old Volvo "tanks" for each of my 3 kids. Volvos because my wife lost a brother to a car accident and she wants a "tank" surrounding her babies during the 16-21 years. Can honestly say that because I have a great Volvo independent service guy, we've kept repair costs manageable.. but, if I could have counted on them not banging them into curbs etc. I'd prefer to have bought new. RANT OVER! Depreciation hits after a year or two or three when trading a vehicle are strictly the issue of the vehicle owner's desire to have the latest greatest, IMHO.

My last 3 P-Cars have been used and I regret none of it. We picked up an 18 month old (2 model years) Boxster S for $22K off MSRP with 9600 miles and a 2 year old CTT for $40K off MSRP with 20K miles (same percentage loss as the Boxster). That's $62K in depreciation that someone else paid. Both cars are under warranty and have been flawless.

The Boxster will probably stay with us for a long time, we can handle any maintenance costs so there's no need for an extended warranty. The CTT will probably get sold or traded before it becomes naked since I'm not too keen on dropping $3500 - $5000 on an aftermarket warranty. I'll be ready for a nice, used '06 CTTS by then anyway
Old 01-09-2007, 02:53 AM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If this were year 2008, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 2006 CTTS used. However, this being early 2007, I would not buy a 2004 CTT, knowing that model year has some issues. Therefore, I think reputation of the model year is part of the equation.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:06 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racer_65
If this were year 2008, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 2006 CTTS used. However, this being early 2007, I would not buy a 2004 CTT, knowing that model year has some issues. Therefore, I think reputation of the model year is part of the equation.
There are some great deals on late model year production '04 CTT's (01/04 and later) that are worth a look considering many still have almost 18 months of warranty left on them. My 04/04 production CTT has had all campaigns applied and has been flawless in the 9 months I have owned it. I will, however, be selling it before the warranty expires since I'm not that confident in the long term reliability of the product as a whole.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:21 AM
bamaxraydoc
AutoX

After settling some problems that the dealer did not seem to know how to fix, my 04 CTT has been great.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:10 PM
seedvila
Instructor

Would any of those problems have to do with a sagging driver's door, rear lid latch, or an air suspension fault?
Old 01-11-2007, 11:10 PM
Vino
Racer

Porsche cars have to be some of the worst in the depreciation department.

I hate to say this but those who used the Cayenne for the 179 tax break in the Beta model years probably got the best deal all around, makes depreciation look like nothing.
For those who bought and didn't take advantage of this, it's a tough Pill to swallow.

We will keep or 04 until my 2 year old has a kid to give it to.

Some people complain about $3500 to $5000 for a dealer warranty, probably the best "MOD" to do for your cayenne before 20" wheels IMO. May even help sell your car for better price to private party sale than taking a dealer hit on trade..........

For those who buy "New" and trade like you do your underwear, I don't care how rich or poor you are that is seriously taking it in the rear end hard, better buy used and trade often.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:19 PM
EddieC
Rennlist Member

Here is an article showing the 2006 Cayenne holding it's value best in the SUV class. It's also in the top 10 of all vehicles.

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article....tentid=4022645
Old 01-12-2007, 04:29 PM
bamaxraydoc
AutoX

I did have an air suspension fault that was fixed by replacing the air compressor.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:38 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vino
Porsche cars have to be some of the worst in the depreciation department.
No they aren't, they are in line with or even slightly better than most of the other mass produced cars. Anytime supply exceeds demand the resale is low. Porsche has past the point of being a specialty builder into the realm of the main stream and with that comes all the negatives like standard depreciation.

There are very few cars out there that don't lose at least 50% of their MSRP in the first 3 years. Porsche has some exceptions to that like the GT2, GT3, and other limited production cars just as BMW does for the M series but beyond that every other SUV on the planet is worth between 45% - 55% of it's MSRP on trade after 36 months.

It's not the percentage that's shocking people it's the raw dollars. Taken on MSRP alone my '04 CTT has depreciated about average for mid to large SUV's.

MSRP: $98,000
Private Sale retail: $60,000 = 61%
Trade value: $55,000 = 56%

Seems pretty normal to me.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:39 PM
john_h.
Intermediate

Default Benz depreciation

In 2003 I bought a 97 S600 Mercedes coupe for $36,000.
It cost $130K new.
That is insane depreciation.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:22 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

My 05 CL500 was only worth 50% a year later with 14,000 miles (forgive me for repeating that). When the New S and CL class's hit the market last year the old old ones really took the hit. You could buy a 05 CL55 for like 50 and that's one fast car. Hopefully that won't happen to the Cayenne.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:00 AM
jordan2tre
AutoX

So what's the going rate these days on a CPO cayenne turbo 2005? let's say up to 30k miles.

Quick Reply: Staggering Depreciation