Sponsored by:

Tailgate Switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Edmac
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Tailgate Switch

I can't get the tailgate on my Cayenne S to open. There is normally a click when you press the "handle" but now nothing. I figure there is a microswtch under it. Does anyone have any knowledge of this or how to remove the inside trim from the tailgate?

many thanks
Ed
Old 12-28-2006, 01:47 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like confirmed microswitch replace job... one of the most common Cayenne gremlins. Search "microswitch"
Old 12-28-2006, 01:55 PM
MomentumGuy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing you might want to check is the central locking settings on the main menu. Mine decided to reset itself a couple times last week, and I had to use the key fob to get the tailgate opened until I fixed the settings.

Other symptoms for me was auto-locking and un-locking reverting to their factory settings (I prefer them to be off) and only the driver's door unlocked when you pressed the fob button once (again, personal preference to unlock everything the first time).

It was odd the first time it happened, and frustrating the second time. It hasn't happened since, though.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieXS
It sounds like confirmed microswitch replace job... one of the most common Cayenne gremlins. Search "microswitch"
Yes, but at least in Ed's case it is shut and stays shut.
He hasn't experienced the joy of having the rear hatch open by itself....while parked in the rain, while going down the highway, while going thru a car wash.....now THAT's a confirmed rear microswitch problem.

FWIW, he can probably just pop the exterior trim off of the rear wiper/microswitch cover and try shorting the contacts manually to see if in fact his microswitch has failed open.
But if the Cayenne is under warranty, probably best to have the dealer do it, as the aforementioned cover has very fragile tabs and sometimes doesn't take kindly to removal and reuse.
Besides, he should learn how to get to the dealer, he might be spending a lot of time there in the future.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:07 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the tail gate uses a diffrent switch then the rear glass. there is a micro switch in there but if the handle feels loose chances are youll need a handle

open the hatch trhough the small acces hold on the inside of the lid 2x2 plastic square

open the window
remove the trim around the window opening top then sides
then open the hatch take out 3 t20 screws
uses a long pry bar to pull the cover off starting from the bottom, (**** can and does break thats why alot of times your best to leave the libulty with the dealer and not casue yourself to buy a 1000$ rear door panel )
then the handle is acces trhough the inside 2 t30s iirc
Old 12-31-2006, 03:41 PM
Edmac
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks guys, I guess it's a trip down to those thieving b*stards at the Porsche center!!

Quick Reply: Tailgate Switch