Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 01:32 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default AGM batteries

Better head over to your nearest VW parts department.

Panorama, December 2006, page 67

In the new technology department, the use of absorbent glass mat (AGM) batteries, such as the Optima, is starting to apear as OEM in some luxury cars, such as the Touareg, Passat Variant and the Phaeton, and the prediction is for more OEM use in the mid-class cars within the next five years. The AGM batteries have no liquid electrolyte and therefore are completely maintenance free, and may be used in any position, even upside down. They have a 10% power output advantage over conventional lead-acid batteries and a cold-start advantage as well, although with a substantial price premium of up to 2x. The primary advantage is a life span of up to three times that of the lead-acid battery.

Given the "subtantial price premium of up to 2x", I think I know why PAG took a pass on this. Strange, given the fact that they have had so many Porsche battery warranty issues, dumped Douglas as the NA OEM and told their dealers to just install whatever battery they can find (Deka, Interstate, WalMart), I would have thought this would be a no brainer.

Oh wait, profits above all else.....never mind. However, it is nice to see Panorama giving the Touareg and VW some postive press.

On the plus side, since the Cayenne is a Touareg (same unibody), the Touareg AGM battery should drop in......might be useful info for someone replacing a battery.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:14 AM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone actually replaced their battery with a Touareg AGM or Optima? How difficult is it to get at the battery under the driver's seat?
Old 04-05-2007, 10:37 AM
DJB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer just replaced mine. I staggered at the price and then vented loudly. Lord plese give me a roof mounted solar panel that stores enough energy to turn over my beast.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:15 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default you would think

that as critical as the battery is to cayenne, also being a single point of failure, that porsche would have been out in front on this.

solar panel to start this bloody thing? try a solar TENT.

Quick Reply: AGM batteries