Thinking of buying a new Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a new Cayenne S

My wife and I are getting tired of our Mercedes E500 4matic wagon and I could use the tax credit this year, so we have been looking at various SUVs, including the Cayenne S Titanium version (Black w/black&sand interior). 3 years ago, it came down to the Cayenne S or the Merc, and we went with the Merc. I was also concerned about the reliability of the Cayennes.

Personally, I have always loved the way the Cayenne drives and looks, but like most Porsches, it still is a little spartan when it comes to features. It seems as though the 2006s have a few more of the little features that comparable SUVs have. We also looked seriously at the Range Rover sport, but I have heard many negatives about them, and they don't drive like the Cayenne. Add to the fact that the Porsche dealer is knocking $10K off of the sticker price and it seems hard not to buy it. I guess that I am looking for some feedback from the forum.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Rider1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned two CTT's and found the ML63 from Mercedes-Benz to be a far superior vehicle. Yes, it's more expensive than the CS but WELL worth it.

Just my .02 worth (being optimistic

Dave
Old 11-19-2006, 08:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Larry,
Daily driver? Tow vehicle?
IIRC, in the Racing/DE forum, you were getting a Dodge diesel for tow duty.

How long do you plan on keeping it?
If it's past 4yr/50K, I'd get your dealer to offer a 6yr/100K warranty.
There are few Cayenne owners who run 'naked' (no warranty coverage) past 4/50

The Titanium S edition is basically an inventory (vehicle and parts) liquidation device, the 'facelift' will be out next year and included will be some new 'creature comforts' that have been missing since MY03 introduction.
Expect more commonality with 9x7 platform features, along with the facelift styling changes. The 'new' Cayenne is 3-4 yrs out......next out will be Panamera, 9x8 and then the 'new' Cayenne...again, all sharing as many components as possible (new PAG design directive to maximize commonality as much as possible....that's why you're seeing the Panamera style/design rear tail lights on the spy shots of the new models)

Cayenne sales are very soft (down more than the 25% reported) and the aforementioned inventory changeover puts you in a good position to negotiate.

Most of the alpha (MY03) and beta (MY04) quirks have been addressed in rolling design/part changes and/or PDI work.
Gone are the 'good old days' of cardan shafts, alignment of the week, rear window opening by itself, remote keyfob range measured in inches (less if it was raining), fogging headlamps, stainless steel trim rusting, trim pieces falling off.
Remaining items are high tire wear (not surpising given the weight and OEM tire harness selection) and some remaining issues with eGas hesitation and transmission longevity/updates.
Another factor to consider is the near impossibility to add factory features/options after the fact, due to the VIN specific nature of each wiring harness; so make sure the options you want are on the car.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:54 PM
Kooser
Pro

Originally Posted by ltc
Larry,

The Titanium S edition is basically an inventory (vehicle and parts) liquidation device, the 'facelift' will be out next year and included will be some new 'creature comforts' that have been missing since MY03 introduction.
Expect more commonality with 9x7 platform features, along with the facelift styling changes. The 'new' Cayenne is 3-4 yrs out......next out will be Panamera, 9x8 and then the 'new' Cayenne...again, all sharing as many components as possible (new PAG design directive to maximize commonality as much as possible....that's why you're seeing the Panamera style/design rear tail lights on the spy shots of the new models)

Cayenne sales are very soft (down more than the 25% reported) and the aforementioned inventory changeover puts you in a good position to negotiate.

Most of the alpha (MY03) and beta (MY04) quirks have been addressed in rolling design/part changes and/or PDI work.
Gone are the 'good old days' of cardan shafts, alignment of the week, rear window opening by itself, remote keyfob range measured in inches (less if it was raining), fogging headlamps, stainless steel trim rusting, trim pieces falling off.
Remaining items are high tire wear (not surpising given the weight and OEM tire harness selection) and some remaining issues with eGas hesitation and transmission longevity/updates.
Another factor to consider is the near impossibility to add factory features/options after the fact, due to the VIN specific nature of each wiring harness; so make sure the options you want are on the car.

Good luck with your decision.

Wow - No warnings or sarcasm. New Meds?
Old 11-19-2006, 09:03 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ltc
Larry,

Thanks (Lewis, isn't it?). It will be a daily driver for my wife, as the Dodge Diesel will handle all of the towing. As I mentioned, I have to do something before the end of this year, or lose many thousands in tax incentive. The Cayenne can be had for a direct trade and a few more dollars a month on the payment for the next 60 months, so if there is no real issues with it, it seems like the right thing to do.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:07 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 580 Posts

If you can get 10Koff that may be the way to go. Most of the early problems are taken care of, and for a big heavy SUV it rides and handles great- everyone in our family loves to drive ours including my wife. She hated to drive my previous tow vehicle, a crew cab GMC 2500 because it was TOO big- can't say I blamed her...
Old 11-19-2006, 10:57 PM
catchacab
Instructor

Larry,

Don't buy one!!!

For your wife.

If you are going to buy one, get it for yourself. Make sure if you get the S to get the air suspension. It is amazing what an almost 3 ton truck can do. Take a drive on Potshop and Berks Road in Worcester (between Townshipline and 73). Then lets talk to Tom about letting us take them on the track. Load up the vehicle with options.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:25 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Thanks (Lewis, isn't it?).
Yes, "Larry" is my alter ego here in the Cayenne forum....I forget who came up with "Larry"....it's been a while.

It will be a daily driver for my wife, as the Dodge Diesel will handle all of the towing.
As I mentioned, I have to do something before the end of this year, or lose many thousands in tax incentive. The Cayenne can be had for a direct trade and a few more dollars a month on the payment for the next 60 months, so if there is no real issues with it, it seems like the right thing to do.
Should make a good daily driver for your wife. I agree with 'skl', it sounds like a good financial deal.

Apart from what I mentioned earlier, please be aware that there is no full sized ready to use spare (unless you spend $2500+ for the external Tequipment spare tire carrier on the back of the vehicle). Not sure if I would pick Porsche Roadside assistance over a AAA Gold membership.

Also, the DVD based NAV coverage is FAR superior (settle down Kooser, have some Purplesaurus Rex) to the CDROM based NAV, but it can still leave you in a sea of green.
Also #2, please be sure to ask the dealer to peform the 'Angle of Attack Adjustment TSB' for the front windshield wipers (basically bending the arms manually....no, not kidding) otherwise the wipers will sound like 2 angry elephants having their asses dragged across the windshield in the rain). Wipers are Valeo (OEM to PAG) and somewhat expensive $50/pair from Porsche)....however TireRack is having a sale on Valeo wipers thru Dec 31...buy one for $19.99 and get one free......don't tell Porsche I told you.
Also #2, brake dust. It's a 5500# truck on fairly soft dusty pads. Painted wheels helps.

Again, if you are considering keeping this past 4yr/50K, I would consider the extended CPO warranty (the dealer will likely say they can't do it, but they can find a way).
Old 11-19-2006, 11:25 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Kooser
Wow - No warnings or sarcasm. New Meds?
Whatever are you talking about
Old 11-20-2006, 12:44 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had several Mercedes and got tired of the deprecation. The Cayenne out handles my old CL500 in ways that still amazes. Plus it is a worthy off road vehicle if your into that. My Titanium S has a lot things the Mercedes has sans all the wood and leather, it's a little over engineered when it comes to the electronics. The rain sensing wipers have many modes and you have to reprogram the AC every time you start it.

But it's one of those few cars that when you drive it all day, your sorry you have to stop.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:11 PM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by ltc
Wipers are Valeo (OEM to PAG) and somewhat expensive $50/pair from Porsche)....however TireRack is having a sale on Valeo wipers thru Dec 31...buy one for $19.99 and get one free......don't tell Porsche I told you.
Itc,

Jacking this thread a bit...

I must not be using the right phrase with Tire Rack. They're saying that they don't have any of the following Valeo wipers:

- 26"
- VW Touareg
- Porsche Cayenne

Is there some code word or phrase I should use?

Last edited by bancu; 11-20-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:17 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
Whatever are you talking about
Hey ITC.. International Terrorist of the Cayenne... what is the "code word" brother?
Old 11-20-2006, 07:06 PM
eweber
3rd Gear

Talking

My wife had a mercedes ML for some time, loved it but it was constantly in the shop (50 pages of service records when I had the dealer print them out!)

then I bought her a cayenne turbo, and everyday she tells me how much she loves it. she even calls me randomly just to say, "thanks for buying me this car." Sometimes she'll even add, "My day sucks today, but boy do I love this car and as soon as I got in it, I felt so much better."

We've had several little quirks with it as well, in for these adjustments 3-4 times, but that doesn't matter -- we love the car and are more than willing to deal with it.

Good luck with your decision. 10K off sounds like a great deal! For options I recommend the drive and go, its the best feature and you never have to take out your key!

Old 11-20-2006, 07:19 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks everyone. The deal is done, and it is sitting in the garage.

Oh ****, its not there. The wife took it out already!
Old 11-20-2006, 07:41 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks everyone. The deal is done, and it is sitting in the garage.
Oh ****, its not there. The wife took it out already!
Congrats.
Post a pic or two when you get a chance.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a new Cayenne S