Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 09:49 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tso GT3
Would I have problem with my view knowing the GT3 seats are lower than stock Cayenne Turbo seats? I wonder if B&K would make a mounting kit for GT3 seats in the Cayenne Turbo
Any good fab shop could make a set of brackets and modified sliders I would imagine
and also whether DAS sports bar would make a roll bar for the truck.
Again, if you are willing to remove the interior (don't know if you are looking for a 'Cup' style interior or not), a custom rollbar could be fabricated, as there is a good bit of room.
Also I wonder when will we be able to order the new GT3 seats (Carrera GT seats) aftermarket? Does anyone know how much?
Have you contacted Gert at www.carnewal.com
If anyone can get them, Gert's the guy.
I don't think I will have problem with airbag as my truck is an 2004 so there's no front airbag deactivation option. Any problem you guys are seeing? Thanks for your input.
No sensor to deactive the airbag due to small/light front passengers, but the vehicle will notice the absense of the airbag. Possible solution would be to have PIWIS 'deactivate' the airbag sensor.....
Old 10-31-2006, 03:08 PM
PowerTechParts
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you would like to make your truck faster give me a call and I will hook it up with a chip. We are able to get a Cayenne Turbo to be just as fast as the turbo S.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Tso GT3
Instructor

How much is the chip? Is it going to void the warranty? Do you guys also sell the power brake kit? Do you have a dyno chart? Thanks for your help.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:26 AM
PowerTechParts
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If you send me the computer it will be $848 plus shipping. The whole warranty issue can be avoided by changing the chip back to stock if needed. You run into an issue and lets say the truck needs to go in for warranty work just send me the computer again and I will make it stock. We have not had the chance to put the truck on the dyno yet so I do not have any charts for you sorry.

I can't imagine the truck needing bigger brakes but if you want them we can arrange something. I do not have prices on that right now but can get them in a few days. If you want to work something out just drop me an e-mail and I can speak more in depth about all this.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:44 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerTechParts
If you send me the computer it will be $848 plus shipping. The whole warranty issue can be avoided by changing the chip back to stock if needed. You run into an issue and lets say the truck needs to go in for warranty work just send me the computer again and I will make it stock. We have not had the chance to put the truck on the dyno yet so I do not have any charts for you sorry.

I can't imagine the truck needing bigger brakes but if you want them we can arrange something. I do not have prices on that right now but can get them in a few days. If you want to work something out just drop me an e-mail and I can speak more in depth about all this.
Who's chiptuning (I actually hate that term but it seems to be the one everyone understands) software or programming do you use?

How can you not have dyno charts? You can't create a proper dynamic tune without spending hours and hours (actually weeks and weeks) on a chassis dyno.

Of course, when the motor goes BOOM in the middle of BFE and the car gets towed to the closest Porsche dealer I need to make sure to snag the ECM, overnight it to you and hope I can get it back into the car before they wheel it inside to take a look...... Not optimal IMHO. Without a hand held or PC interface that allows ME to flash it back to stock you can probably kiss your power train warranty good by if you have a dealer that's even partially on the ball.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:49 AM
PowerTechParts
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It is Upsolute Programing. I do not have my own dyno charts but I am sure that Upsolute has something. I will contact them and see if I can post the charts.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:25 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Is it going to void the warranty?
Yes, as soon as a PCNA rep detects it; which may or may not happen depending on the dealer.

Do you guys also sell the power brake kit?
Gert at www.carnewal.com does:
http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p55047.htm

and you can also get it from Sunset Imports (cost + 15%):
http://www.sunsetimports.com/go/pinqry/
Old 11-02-2006, 11:49 AM
bancu
Racer

The whole warranty issue can be avoided by changing the chip back to stock if needed.
It can be like pulling teeth to get _some_ dealers to do fixes on the Cayenne that are documented by Porsche. In the early days, I had to have PCNA service reps my truck in my quest to get some issues recognized as warranty ones. If it takes that much effort to get warranty work done without any third party involvement, I'm betting that it's just going to be worse when a dealer or Porsche figures out that the ECU has been flashed.

On top of the above, this just doesn't seem like it's good for trouble shooting. Lets say I'm experiencing something as common these days to the Cayenne as uneven idling and low power at low RPM. Depending on your dealer it could take several visits to get this issue completely address. Following your 'changing the chip back' approach would mean radically changing parameters that could relate to the issue and interfere with trouble shooting the problem several times.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:50 AM
bancu
Racer

You run into an issue and lets say the truck needs to go in for warranty work just send me the computer again and I will make it stock.
Maybe your approach is sound for out of warranty vehicles but for in warranty ones...

Between the TSBs and other issues, a Cayenne is going to go in for warranty work at least once a year. It's probably even safe to say, that like most new vehicles, an owner will be visiting the dealer two times a year even if nothing 'major' goes wrong to get out any manufacturing kinks.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:52 AM
bancu
Racer

I can't imagine the truck needing bigger brakes..
We're not talking about a sports car. Searching past posts will give you an idea that the Cayenne does a good job eating brakes when pushed in daily driving. Just like in-class performance SUVs this isn't unexpected given it's weight, propensity to be driven in bad weather and PSM. This should be more of an issue for folks tracking the Cayenne as Tso is talking about doing. I'm sure this is one reason why Porsche upgrades the brakes when they increase the power to the level of their Power Kit or Turbo S.

There are even folks that push their Cayenne's all the time who contend that the bigger 'power kit' brakes should have been standard on the Cayenne Turbo.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:59 AM
bancu
Racer

I do not have my own dyno charts but I am sure that Upsolute has something.
It could be the Halloween proximity but...this is just a spooky statement. Are you saying that you put this software into your own or customers $90kish vehicles without doing (or for that matter seeing) a before and after dyno report?

The real issue with the Cayenne Turbo isn't power. It's control and the safety it provides. Adding power to a Cayenne Turbo without adding control is just more wasted power. For anyone doing performance add on marketing research...that's the major reason I haven't 'chipped' or popped for Porsche's Power Kit on my Cayenne.

For those of us that can't/don't drive all-out, all the time, the primary issue is the mapping of the transmission control unit (TCU) and how _it_ applies the power we've got.

You can prove TCU centric nature of this to yourself when you drive a Cayenne that's just off the boat or has just had it's TCU swapped out. There is a world of difference in responsiveness to throttle inputs between these 'fresh' vehicles and one that has adapted itself to around town driving.

I see the TCU issue as a great Porsche 'bait-switch'. The Cayenne Turbos I test drove and the one I bought and drove for the first week or so isn't the one I'm driving today.

Quick Reply: GT3 seats on Cayenne Turbo