Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 10:35 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
Actually problem number 2 is no problem at all since that's the mode that 99% of all the other tow vehicles operate in...............
Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming
While I/We try not to get too serious about......well, you know, those 2 words now banned by Cayenne forum "ManLaw", I must respectfully disagree with your statement.

#1. Invocation of Kirchoff's Laws will clearly demonstrate that a parallel load will mask the status of a bulb(s)/filament(s), thus rendering the 1D6 bulb diagnostic implementation inoperative (not that it was ever really operative).

#2. 99% of the other tow vehicles operate in this mode due to the fact that these vehicles do NOT use the VAG/PAG/Westfalia 'bulb diagnostic implementation'. These vehicles also do not require any electrical load stabilization, they are simply switched DC circuits with inline fuse protection.......in other words, they simply supply voltage (or current if you prefer) to the trailer lighting load, when commanded to do so, up to the fuse protection rating. These vehicles don't display a "!", nor do they require 2 MagLites, a case of D batteries and a roll of racer's tape.

There are many things folks can argue/disagree with me/us about, trust me, electronics and Porsches are not one of them.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:58 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wasn't invocation of Kirchoff's Law covered by one of the Geneva conventions also ?
Old 10-14-2006, 01:27 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
While I/We try not to get too serious about......well, you know, those 2 words now banned by Cayenne forum "ManLaw", I must respectfully disagree with your statement.

#1. Invocation of Kirchoff's Laws will clearly demonstrate that a parallel load will mask the status of a bulb(s)/filament(s), thus rendering the 1D6 bulb diagnostic implementation inoperative (not that it was ever really operative).

#2. 99% of the other tow vehicles operate in this mode due to the fact that these vehicles do NOT use the VAG/PAG/Westfalia 'bulb diagnostic implementation'. These vehicles also do not require any electrical load stabilization, they are simply switched DC circuits with inline fuse protection.......in other words, they simply supply voltage (or current if you prefer) to the trailer lighting load, when commanded to do so, up to the fuse protection rating. These vehicles don't display a "!", nor do they require 2 MagLites, a case of D batteries and a roll of racer's tape.

There are many things folks can argue/disagree with me/us about, trust me, electronics and Porsches are not one of them.
But you are agreeing! You listed item 2 in a previous post as a "problem" when running with the load equalizer (resistors). All I said was it isn't a "problem" to put the system into a mode that resembles what 99% of US tow vehicles use.

BTW, VAG/PAG aren't the only ones who use this type of system, ask anyone who's towed with the Volvo or Mercedes European tow packages....... For some reason the Europeans think we need to get a "!" if one of our tail lights burns out. I've even heard (but haven't taken the time to substantiate it) that some European countries require this bulb sensing technology. All your eloquent references to various physical and theoretical laws won't change that.

Now, if PAG would simply publish the current range that prevents the "!" from occurring it would be a simple matter to determine the exact number of bulbs required in an incandescent system or the proper resistance to wire into an LED system. Somewhere there has to be a published "standard" for this, we just haven't uncovered it yet.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

But you are agreeing! You listed item 2 in a previous post as a "problem" when running with the load equalizer (resistors). All I said was it isn't a "problem" to put the system into a mode that resembles what 99% of US tow vehicles use.
What I am saying is by installing resistors (and I'm assuming you mean in parallel), you are essentially disabling the bulb diagnostic feature, as the resistance will be present, and detected, whether or not the bulbs are actually working. Thus, 1D6 has no reason for being in this configuration.
99% of US tow vehicles are simple wire and fuses....which is why they simply work, no matter how many/what type of bulbs are used on a trailer.

BTW, VAG/PAG aren't the only ones who use this type of system, ask anyone who's towed with the Volvo or Mercedes European tow packages....... For some reason the Europeans think we need to get a "!" if one of our tail lights burns out. I've even heard (but haven't taken the time to substantiate it) that some European countries require this bulb sensing technology. All your eloquent references to various physical and theoretical laws won't change that.
Correct, however there are ways to fix the flawed design.
I volunteered to fly to Germany, for free (my bride loved that part), and help them fix this problem...but of course there is no problem so my offer was not accepted. Fair enough.
There are both H/W and S/W fixes possible here. The simple S/W fix (besides disabling "!") would be to allow for the dealer to program various load ranges (via PIWIS) in response to customer trailer configuration.

Now, if PAG would simply publish the current range that prevents the "!" from occurring it would be a simple matter to determine the exact number of bulbs required in an incandescent system or the proper resistance to wire into an LED system. Somewhere there has to be a published "standard" for this, we just haven't uncovered it yet.
No, the PCNA standard does not exist, as the module was OEM'd by Westfalia to PAG.
Try a subpoena to PCNA and demand the standard....see what you get......I'll bet I already know the answer.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mudman2
Wasn't invocation of Kirchoff's Law covered by one of the Geneva conventions also ?
Larry is not a signatory to the Geneva Convention....and neither is the damned nurse who cares for me here at the Vacation Villa.

Quick Reply: 04 CS Trailer issue