Sponsored by:

22" wheels without PASM

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 01:11 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 22" wheels without PASM

There have been some posts in the past concerning running 22" wheels on Cayennes WITH PASM. Most people state that they set PASM to "comfort" mode, and the 22" wheels provide a ride that is no more jarring than the ride on 18" wheels in normal or sport mode.

So, that is great for folks with PASM. What about those of us without air suspension? Anybody running 22" wheels WITHOUT PASM? I know it is subjective, but can you desribe the ride comfort relative to running 18" winter wheels?

I am considering purchasing 22" wheels for my CS without PASM and am wondering if I'll regret it. I sure do like the aesthetic look, and I like a sporty ride, but I do not want to be flying out of my seat with every minor bump in the road.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:27 AM
alcantara
Advanced

I have it without PASM and it's fine. I'm running 265/40ZR-22 Toyo Proxes and it's actually quieter on the freeway now. Of course I have to be a little more careful now...

As for the tire size, they're slightly off from what most people run, but this size was recommended to me and several people have no problems. I haven't had any issues and am very pleased with them.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/285658-pics-of-victor-equipment-lemans-22-s-in-black.html
Old 09-28-2006, 03:48 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alcantara
I have it without PASM and it's fine. I'm running 265/40ZR-22 Toyo Proxes and it's actually quieter on the freeway now. Of course I have to be a little more careful now...

As for the tire size, they're slightly off from what most people run, but this size was recommended to me and several people have no problems. I haven't had any issues and am very pleased with them.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285658
Yes, thanks for reminding me of your past thread! I'm glad at least one other person has had a good experience to report running the 22s without PASM. The taller sidewall (40) you chose is actually a pretty smart idea it seems. That would be the typical sidewall height for a 20" wheel.

Your past thread suggested that your speedometer is only off by a couple MPH, right? But, I noticed that you advised going with the narrower 265s rather than the 285 width--because the wider tire was rubbing your wheel wells at times!

Just curious, what did you mean by your comment above that "you have to be a little more careful now..."? Glad to hear that there are no other problems to report. How is the performance and handling--do you feel that you have more grip in the twisties?
Old 09-28-2006, 07:09 AM
alcantara
Advanced

Definitely a noticeable performance gain...and yes, when I tried going with the other tire I rubbed a little but nothing too major...if you prefer to keep as close to mfg suggested radius as possible I don't see why you couldn't, but you will rub slightly with a little stiffer ride. Let me also remind you that even with the 285/35-22 size tires, you're still going to be off by about 2 mph. So either way you're going to be off. But if you do try putting this size tire on, make sure you turn your steering wheel all the way in both directions...you may find a slight rub...which turned me off to the size.

Acceleration seems to be about the same, but handling and road manners have improved. As far as being more careful, I mean being more careful as to road hazards and such. With my old 19's, I used to run over curbs and rocks like nothing...drive in the dirt if need be...but now with the 22's....I wouldn't dare, and I avoid road hazards at all costs...I just want to be extra careful...especially around curbs!

Good luck...my speedometer according to the calculator at tirerack and at discount tire is going to be 3 mph slower than actual speed. Shift points don't seem to be affected. I think in the name of ride quality and piece of mind 3 mph is negligeable. There are pros and cons to either tire size. I've driven about 3000 miles on mine since I've had them on and have had no problems....oh and I put the Porsche silver and black center caps in....so the old red victor ones are gone and it looks great.

I have yet to put on the H&R sport springs....I really want to so that I can close up the gap. I've heard that they actually make the ride more comfortable...something about the stock springs being optimized for towing and regular driving making them stiffer. It's all heresay, I really have no experience with it, but will report back as soon as I have installed the springs.

Again...good luck on your hunt. 22's shouldn't be a problem for you, but you can't go wrong with 20's either if you're skiddish.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:20 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I thinks its state specific. In PA they would last about 5 miles the way our roads are

Quick Reply: 22" wheels without PASM