Sponsored by:

Post your repair / warranty list here

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 10:58 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Update

1 - Tank Vent Valve, front of engine replaced (diy) at 92K miles, part was $42. about an hour to change it

2 - Loss of washer fluid, traced to neck of filler tube becoming detached from tank in wheel well. DIY fix, remove the left headlight and you can see the tank and the filler neck, reach thru and re seat the neck into the rubber seal on the tank, $0, 10 mins. I think this must have become partly detached the last time the dealer removed the covers and eventually shook free. Be aware that if you remove the left designer covers to undo the little torx which attaches to the filler neck first, I am sure if you dont the same thing would happen.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:52 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Replaced 1st Battery at 95K miles, not hard but its a heavy beast
Old 09-24-2009, 02:44 AM
Shawn D
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 2 months ago my 05 Cayenne turbo's gear selector went bad. I would put the car in park (would not roll or move), turn off engine but I couldn't pull the key out and a message would come up saying "Put car in park to remove key." Dealership replaced this under warranty put forgot what they did.

Anyone else had this problem?
Old 10-20-2009, 08:35 PM
Designer
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

E-brake cable became detached from e-brake handle. Dealer re-attached cable and replaced damper on pedal -- covered under warranty. I had been waiting to take care of the e-brake TSB and, like most, was just putting my toe under the pedal and lifting to get the light to go out. You can release the brake by reaching behind the handle and pulling the cable. Well, the tow truck driver could -- I couldn't find it. Thankfully, it happened in the driveway.

Also had Scorpion Ice & Snows mounted. $100 and a "free" wash. Not bad.

OT: We took the RX-7 to pick up the Cayenne and 2 (young) mechanics came rushing over to ooh & ahh over the 7. It made me and the old girl (the car) feel pretty good -- considering there was a 997 Turbo idling nearby .
Old 10-23-2009, 01:17 AM
mObridge
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MadFox
... Only other issue is post installation of mObridge, I get the infamous "PHC unavailable" alert on main instrument cluster from time to time for no apparent reason and from no particular situation. It will sometimes error code at start-up (rare) but mostly just sometime during a drive (irrelevant if mobridge is on/off) it appears (once a week or two). Droptop could get no rational explanation or resolution to his -- oh and yes, makes no sense as Tit.S' are Tips! (wow, that sounds weird)! Next oil change I'm going to mention it so that they can tell me that mobridge is creating it again.
Hi MadFox - did we ever end up discussing this one? I'd be interested to properly diagnose it. Per your intuition, it is probably not the mObridge unit or related to its installation but never say never. Anyhow, get ahold of us this week if you would like us to further pursue this, even if just to rule it out as related to our product (support@mobridgeusa.com).

Scott
mObridge
Old 10-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Yosek
Track Day

Question What's your take?

Hi everyone,

I've read through many of the reply's to this thread, and I have a general idea on what to expect with the Cayenne. By all accounts here on the Renlist, PCA tech forum, and countless internet reviews, it seem unanimous that 2003-2004 Cayenne's are the ones to stay clear of.

I'm itching at getting a Cayenne, but here in lays my quandary. I live in an area where I am 12 hours from the nearest Porsche dealer. There's a VW dealer 4 hours from me, but they say they wouldn't be able to diagnose anything if there was a fault. They remarked that they may be able to do small services, brakes, oil change ect.

Would it safe for me to get an '08 Cayenne and plan to make the trek to the BIG City for scheduled maintenance? Though it would be more money up front, it seems for my situation, newer would be the best plan of action being that I'm so far away from the dealers. My only other option would be a Touareg, or a new 4Runner. My town has a Toyota dealer.

Bottom line is, I don't want to be stuck 12 hours away from the dealer with a broken down vehicle, should it happen. I'm currently a Porsche owner, and am well aware that any vehicle, Porsche or not, will need maintenance. I'm just hoping that Porsche has remedied all major quality and repair issues with the 2nd gen of the Cayenne.

Any words of wisdom will be muchly appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Unless you can get your wife to drive your Cayenne in for service I wouldn't buy the vehicle. Get a Toyota Highlander.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:21 AM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

05S
Coils
Fuel pump
rear window hatch switch
trim around rear shifter-delaminating
passenger door window switch
ashtray
Old 12-09-2009, 02:06 PM
profusion
Advanced

Originally Posted by slider172
05S
Coils
Fuel pump
rear window hatch switch
trim around rear shifter-delaminating
passenger door window switch
ashtray

when and how many miles did the car have when your fuel pump went bad?
Old 12-13-2009, 04:01 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just did the coolant tubes @ 95k.
while i was in there i replaced the starter, water pump, pulley and belt.
TOO MUCH PLASTIC!!!!!!
im still bent as i now need a front diff.
planning rant on coolant tube thread soon.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:14 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

why do you think the front diff is bad ?
Old 12-13-2009, 09:20 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe when the coolant pipes cracked and leaked, it filled up the front diff with coolant?
Old 12-13-2009, 10:52 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

low speed crunching in r/f wheel, especially in reverse with high angle steering inputs. During a nice punch you can feel gear slip and the shaft to the l/f wheel actually starts to flop around. Nice thumping. Had the pig on a lift, pulled the PSM relays, had a guy at each wheel. No noise in either upright or wheel. Plenty o crunching inside the case. Nothing like dropping a g and 1/2 in parts this month. My guess is there is a gear stripped causing the slippage and has egged out a bushing or bearing from the hammering. I will let ya know when I get the old box out and opened up. Even the porsche techs wanna come see as it is highly unusual so far with this model. Still have no ideas why tho, pig is wifes daily driver, my DE tow vehicle. No real hammering or off road stuff. Just towing. We shall see.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:49 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

wow, not just noisy then, crap !!
Old 12-14-2009, 04:00 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by profusion
when and how many miles did the car have when your fuel pump went bad?
81.6k miles when it went bad.

Add 100 or so miles to the above and that's when it went bad again.

95.1k miles when water pump went bad

Please note the thickness of my Cayenne file. And please note, this file is from 2 (!!!) years ago:

Quick Reply: Post your repair / warranty list here