Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM 2.1 and Telephone hookup

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006 | 12:10 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Default PCM 2.1 and Telephone hookup

I have read through earlier threads on the subject to telephone integration, but I can't seem to piece together the answer I am looking for.

I have PCM 2.1 in my '06 Cayenne S.

I have a Motorola Razr (not bluetooth).

How do I make this phone work with the PCM 2.1? I've seen some posts about "sim cards", but not sure what that is or whether it applies to what I am trying to do.
Old 09-20-2006 | 12:23 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

What cell phone provider do you have? A SIM card is a card in a GSM phone that carries all the customer and carrier info for the phone. Verizon does not use GSM, but can be "special ordered". The Porsche phone integration only works with GSM providers, where you remove the SIM card from your phone and put it into the Porsche phone system. The parts are $2k and the install is +/-$6k, if you don't have the phone prep option.

Want Bluetooth, get an aftermarket rig or wait for a 2007 Cayenne.

Originally Posted by rome
I have read through earlier threads on the subject to telephone integration, but I can't seem to piece together the answer I am looking for.

I have PCM 2.1 in my '06 Cayenne S.

I have a Motorola Razr (not bluetooth).

How do I make this phone work with the PCM 2.1? I've seen some posts about "sim cards", but not sure what that is or whether it applies to what I am trying to do.
Old 09-20-2006 | 12:29 PM
hk_usp9f
Instructor

Rome,

SIM cards are like memory cards that plug in and out of your cell phone, just like the memory cards used with digital cameras and MP3 players.

SIM stands for "subscriber information module".

It stores your account information as well as your phone book. The idea is that you can change phones easily by just transferring the sim card to any phone and it will be instantly useable. No activation hassles.

Now does your phone have one? It depends in the cell phone service provider. My verizon doesn't have one and I don't know which companies use this technology. Ask your service provider.

Assuming you have a SIM card you can treat the PCM just like any other phone and plug it in and it should work. Now I've never done this so I don't know if anything else is needed to make it work right away. But by reading the manual that is the impression I got.

I hope this helps.

Peace.
Old 09-20-2006 | 12:46 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys.

I have Verizon, so it looks like I am out of luck, unless I special order it, which sounds expensive and probably more trouble than it is worth.

When I purchased the car, I didn't think much about the phone hookup even though I ordered the PCM 2.1 (which I did primarily for for the NAV and SAT radio). I tend to do things the old fashioned way when it comes to phones. But, I was in my brother in law's benz this weekend and he has an intergrated phone in there (voice activated) and it was really, really cool, convenient and easy to use.
Old 09-20-2006 | 01:23 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rome
Thanks guys.

I have Verizon, so it looks like I am out of luck, unless I special order it, which sounds expensive and probably more trouble than it is worth.

When I purchased the car, I didn't think much about the phone hookup even though I ordered the PCM 2.1 (which I did primarily for for the NAV and SAT radio). I tend to do things the old fashioned way when it comes to phones. But, I was in my brother in law's benz this weekend and he has an intergrated phone in there (voice activated) and it was really, really cool, convenient and easy to use.
I had the same love affair, until I got this from the dealer.

"I just got the quote on the phone install...jees! $3,100 installed for the PCM phone. Its about 16 hrs in labor and over $1,600 in parts at my cost!"
Keep in mind that this quote was for parts a cost and a discounted labor rate....
Old 09-20-2006 | 02:06 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yetis
I had the same love affair, until I got this from the dealer.

"I just got the quote on the phone install...jees! $3,100 installed for the PCM phone. Its about 16 hrs in labor and over $1,600 in parts at my cost!"
Keep in mind that this quote was for parts a cost and a discounted labor rate....
Why would the PCM 2.1 even have the phone button on it. It is such a tease. It seems like no one is actually even using it. They should just incorporate blue tooth and do it right.

Quick Reply: PCM 2.1 and Telephone hookup