Sponsored by:

Cayenne Towing Experence With U-Haul Auto Transport and 993

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 11:09 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayenne Towing Experence With U-Haul Auto Transport and 993

This past weeked I trailered my 97 993 C4S from Chicago to Road America. I still got the damn ! for the lights, maybe because the new auto transport has LED's, but the Cayenne pulled without issues. I think I was around 5000 lbs total. I used the 2" drop receiver hitch pointed up, but I think a 3" would work better. But everything was as close to level with the 2".

The safety chain loops on the Cayenne are too thick to hang the chains on, and the chains would not go through the holes. I could not get D-Rings to work either, so I used some trailer hooks that fit through the Cayenne loops.

I also got better gas mileage towing 5000 lbs then I get driving in the city. I usuall get around 13 mpg in the city, but with the highway I got 15 + mpg.

As far as the U-Haul trailer goes, I had the newer all silver auto transport which is the wider version. This is the one to get. Since my 993 has the original SUV ride height, I was able to pull the car all the way forward and use the tire straps that are on the trailer. Anything lower and I could not use them. Be sure to inflate the tires when you put the car back on the trailer. Also, the front weel strap ratchet moves from side to side. I also looped straps through the rear tires to hold it down. There was no need to wrench down on them because the fronts were held down very well. Between the IL roads and WI Roads, the car did not move on the trailer.

To get the car on the trailer I had to use two of pieces of 3/4" melamine which I had lying around. I stair-steped the boards and it worked fine. I will probably spend more time to put a few taller boards together. I also think that a couple of boards under the rear of the cayenne would help get the front of the trailer in the air.

This was a one man job for me.

Jim
Old 09-07-2006, 08:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jaholmes
This past weeked I trailered my 97 993 C4S from Chicago to Road America. I still got the damn ! for the lights, maybe because the new auto transport has LED's, but the Cayenne pulled without issues.
There's no MAYBE.....LED trailer lighting = "!" Check Trailer Lights. PERIOD.

Congratulations on the successful mechanical part of the tow.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:30 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
There's no MAYBE.....LED trailer lighting = "!" Check Trailer Lights. PERIOD.

Congratulations on the successful mechanical part of the tow.
Dammit Larry, beam me out of this thread.. LED... another acronym that really means "Lighting Extinguished Dynamically"......
Old 09-11-2006, 10:08 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Here is a shutterfly link to some photos of the 993 on the trailer. They are too large to attach.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...5cM2HJ&notag=1
Old 09-11-2006, 10:27 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, does that bring back memories.....except I can't quite see the 2 Maglites attached to the Cayenne with racer's tape..

Nice looking setup.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Towing Experence With U-Haul Auto Transport and 993