Sponsored by:

Cayenne vs. Touareg Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 04:36 PM
psonnier
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne vs. Touareg Comparison

Does anyone know--and care to list--the main differences between the Cayenne and Touareg (V8 models)?

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2006, 05:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Body is fabricated and painted at a VW plant in Bratislava, Czech Republic for both the Touareg and Cayenne.
BTW, the Audi Q7 body is made there as well.

VW workers produce more than 85% of the wholesale value of every Cayenne, and that the Cayenne shares 65% of its parts and modules with VW's Touareg.

Main differences are in engine (the Zuffenhausen PAG V8 is superior to the VAG V8.....but no match for the VAG V10 TDI), the brakes (PAG brakes are far superior to the VAG brakes), PASM is the same. VAG is generally acknowledged as the leader in interior design. VAG service is generally considered inferior to PAG/PCNA service.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:04 PM
psonnier
Cruisin'

Thank you, ltc, for this and your many other posts! I'm a Cayenne S owner of two weeks now and find myself trying to explain to others the additional value of the Porsche. (This was much easier with my '88 Carrera. Or maybe I just had more practice.) A little more on the comparison: Is there also a difference between the two in regard to the Cayenne engine's Variable Valve Timing and, if so, how (or) is it superior to non-VVT -- or does the Touareg have it as well? Lastly, not having driven the VW, is there a visceral difference in regard to the driving experience? I'm assuming "yes"!!
Old 09-06-2006, 07:12 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

psonnier,
You seem to have some good questions. I recommend buying this publication available at the dealer:

PNA 488 910 "Service Information Technik"

This is a great guide to the Cayenne that is positioned between the owner's manual and shop manuals.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:21 PM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by psonnier
I'm a Cayenne S owner of two weeks now and find myself trying to explain to others the additional value of the Porsche. (This was much easier with my '88 Carrera. Or maybe I just had more practice.)
Actually I think it's easier to justify the value of a Cayenne S than a Carrera. The Cayenne has equivalent engineering and mechanical sophistication to a carrera. It has got more "stuff", including a larger interior with more leather and more components. It probably costs just as much to build as a Carrera. The only reason it cannot sell at the same price point as a Carrera is due to the market segment that it's in.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Thank you, ltc, for this and your many other posts!
You're welcome...hopefully you've laughed once or twice....

I'm a Cayenne S owner of two weeks now
My condolences....although the honeymoon is the best part, especially if you don't own an alpha/beta model year.

and find myself trying to explain to others the additional value of the Porsche. (This was much easier with my '88 Carrera. Or maybe I just had more practice.)
We'll just skip that one for now......

A little more on the comparison: Is there also a difference between the two in regard to the Cayenne engine's Variable Valve Timing and, if so, how (or) is it superior to non-VVT -- or does the Touareg have it as well?
PAG uses Variocam....it's been around since the early 90's. My wife's 968Cab has it. The PAG V8 is a much better engine than the VAG V8; the PAG V6 is just a VAG V6 with a PAG top end/intake.
The only VAG engine worth owning is the V10 TDI......beautiful piece. I'd buy the Touareg with a V10 TDI....if they offered the damned thing in MA....although they're supposed to be bringing them back now that the US is mandating low sulfur diesel......

Lastly, not having driven the VW, is there a visceral difference in regard to the driving experience? I'm assuming "yes"!!
It's hard to compare, since the wheels/tires are not the same, the suspension tuning is not the same (much better in the Cayenne), the brakes, etc.....
Having driven a V8 Touareg and being told I actually owned a Cayenne S (personally, I think it was all just a dream).......and I hate, REALLY hate to say it, the Cayenne is much better than the Touareg.

Ah ****, now I feel dirty and have to wait for the nurse to come give me a sponge bath......
Old 09-06-2006, 09:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by racer_65
The Cayenne has equivalent engineering and mechanical sophistication to a carrera.
Are you sh!tt!ing me? I'm surprised your tongue didn't just jump off its rollers after saying that. Cayenne equivalent to a Carrera? Well, the hood crests are equivalent....oh yeah, and they are now using the Cayenne Rear Main Seal to help keep the POS M96/M97 engines from leaking (note: NOT needed on the M64/GT1 derived block/engine used on the GT2/GT3/Turbo)

Yeah, and I'm the one they keep locked away in the 'vacation villa'.

It has got more "stuff", including a larger interior with more leather and more components. It probably costs just as much to build as a Carrera.
Actually, it costs less to build a Cayenne than it does a Carrera.

The only reason it cannot sell at the same price point as a Carrera is due to the market segment that it's in.
Price point? For the Pig?
Which price point? The $40K Cayenne or the $110K Cayenne Turbo S? Isn't the Carrera somewhere in the middle?
Old 09-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Grssypond
Advanced

PLEASE BE CAREFUL POKING THE SLEEPING TROLL. He does enjoy trolling these pages looking for 'issues' that get under his skin. There are clearly topics that set him off. He once hallucinated about Cayenne ownership. Fortunately, medications have been found that calm him down.

Now Larry....Please ring the moderator for your evening medications

And could someone remove the pencil from his mouth so before he gets hurt.....He is oohhh so precious
Old 09-06-2006, 11:42 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Grssypond
PLEASE BE CAREFUL POKING THE SLEEPING TROLL. He does enjoy trolling these pages looking for 'issues' that get under his skin. There are clearly topics that set him off. He once hallucinated about Cayenne ownership. Fortunately, medications have been found that calm him down.

Now Larry....Please ring the moderator for your evening medications

And could someone remove the pencil from his mouth so before he gets hurt.....He is oohhh so precious
Yep, sometimes it's really difficult to maintain a meaningful dialog when Larry is off his meds.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:42 AM
psonnier
Cruisin'

Thanks for the laugh riot, boys!

Yes, honeymoon period is waning. However, thanks to this forum, I'm armed and prepared (is one ever really?) for my first venture into the dealer for "servicing". (Pun intended, because it could go either way if you know what I mean... )

Regarding Carrera vs. Cayenne... well, I wanted four seats. And, maybe I'm mistaken, but the Porsche character--warts and all--seems to have made it into the Cayenne.

So, at huge risk of rousing the "troll" even further, I pose another question: Cayenne Turbo or V10 TDI?

Old 09-07-2006, 08:05 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

So, at huge risk of rousing the "troll" even further, I pose another question: Cayenne Turbo or V10 TDI?

I think it depends on the intended purpose. If you are going to tow or haul a lot and are doing mostly highway mileage then I would go V10 TDI. If you don't haul a bunch and like to exercise the very un SUV like handling then the CTT is the route I would (did) take
Old 09-07-2006, 12:28 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 572 Posts

A Cayenne (with the better driving dynamics) with the V10 TDI would be a FANTASTIC vehicle but good old Dr W won't let us have one. He thinks a hybrid makes more sense... yeah, right...
Old 09-07-2006, 08:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

skl,
After the brawl between VAG and PAG regarding the Q7 royalties (re: NO stretched Cayenne and NO diesel), Dr W had no choice but to go with the hybrid.

Of course, that was BEFORE he now owned 25% of VAG....but I don't think he is about to lose any face by going back on his previous statement/decision......after all, personal pride/ego vs what's best for the customers......not even close.

But you're right, a V10 TDI Cayenne.....that would almost make you forget about the "!" when towing.......notice I said ALMOST.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:50 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
But you're right, a V10 TDI Cayenne.....that would almost make you forget about the "!" when towing.......notice I said ALMOST.
But, since the Touareg uses the same tow module I think whatever PAG/VAG SUV you get the V10 in will grace you with the "!"
Old 09-07-2006, 08:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mjw930
But, since the Touareg uses the same tow module I think whatever PAG/VAG SUV you get the V10 in will grace you with the "!"
Yes, unfortunately Westfalia supplied PAG/VAG with the 1D6 module.......
"!" for everybody.
I still find myself towing at night with the bride's Excursion and shutting all the lights off.....just for grins ......brings back memories of the alleged Cayenne ownership.

I still insist that I never actually owned a Cayenne.....it was either

A. Larry hypnotized me into thinking I did, just so he could sit back and laugh.
B. I was abduced by aliens and rather than perform tests, they put me in a Cayenne.

Quick Reply: Cayenne vs. Touareg Comparison