Sponsored by:

Cayenne Colors

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 02:11 AM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cayenne Colors

Has anyone seen a Titanium Edition in Marine Blue Metallic yet?

I think it's one of the nicest colors, but have not seen one on a TE, and very rarely seen it on the Turbo S (even though it was on the launch vehicle).

Wondering why that is the case. Is there some problem at the factor that they're not able to make certain colors at a certain time? or is it for marketing reasons (that they don't think they'll sell as many of a particular color).

It almost seems like Porsche wants to "promote" certain colors, such as black for the standard cars, and red for the TE.

Another thing that is kind of weird is that although the promo for the TE shows a tan/black combo for the interior, all the cars I've seen on the dealers' lots are grey/black. Again, one has to wonder if that's due to some production issues.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:12 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by racer_65
.....Wondering why that is the case. Is there some problem at the factor that they're not able to make certain colors at a certain time?
No, there is no problem at the factory. The Cayenne and Touareg are made at the same VW factory, off the same line, using VW paint.....huh, a whole Cayenne sentence and not once was the word 'Porsche' used.
Once the unibodies leave the factory, the Touareg bodies take a left turn and become finished/complete Touaregs......the 'others' go for a ride to Leipzig and become Cayennes.
You can NOT order a Cayenne in 'Porsche' colors or request a color via the Exclusive Programme (yes, even for the ultra exclsuive, top of the line, amazing Cayenne Turbo S), since Leipzig has NO capability to accept a 'body in white' vehicle and paint it to sample. Leipzig is NOT Zuffenhausen.

Originally Posted by racer_65
or is it for marketing reasons (that they don't think they'll sell as many of a particular color).
Yes, partially. 'Special editions' are created in order to reduce high inventory levels of both vehicles and underordered options. The 'special' color is a bone thrown to the prospective buyer in order to get them to buy the overstock.
(Same thing with the Turbo S; nothing special about it from a Cayenne Turbo, just a bit of badging and being offered in a color exclusive to that badging/trim level).....re: 40th anniversary Carrera, 50th anniversary Boxster, 997 Club Coupe.....PAG Marketing hard at work.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:26 PM
racer_65
Racer

The "bodies" you are referring to must be just the structural pieces. The exterior body panels don't look the same to me. However, if complete painting is done at the VW factory, that means the VW factory makes all the exterior body panels for the Cayenne?
Old 08-30-2006, 07:47 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Default Wake up and smell the coffee

Attention Cayenne owners:

You are driving a car whose body is fabricated and painted at a VW plant in Bratislava, Czech Republic. BTW, the Audi Q7 body is made there as well.

VW workers produce more than 85% of the wholesale value of every Cayenne, and that the Cayenne shares 65% of its parts and modules with VW's Touareg

The Cayenne's body is built at VW's plant in Bratislava, where workers earn $250 a month

Here, read for yourself:
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...4/b3957087.htm
Old 08-30-2006, 07:55 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and a damn good job they do to earn that $250/month...

Maybe GM, Ford and Chrysler should move their production to Bratislava.

I'm actually surprised that 35% of Cayenne parts are made by Porsche... cool.

SLUUUURP!

Old 08-30-2006, 10:49 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Darn Lewis - haven't seen you yell like that in quite a while...
Old 08-30-2006, 10:54 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 580 Posts

Be careful JFS, don't upset Larry!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 07:48 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JFScheck
Darn Lewis - haven't seen you yell like that in quite a while...
It wasn't me, it was Larry........Bad Larry, Bad!

Actually, this forum can sometimes be as exciting as watching paint dry, so every now and then I try to pull the pin on a grenade and toss one in.....usually it doesn't make a difference.

However, I was surprised that 85% of the wholesale parts were VAG; I didn't think it was that high.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:32 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Hey, if a Ferrari can have Fiat parts, then I am ok with VAG parts in my Cayenne. Let me remind everyone that Fiat built the Fiat Strada. Anyone remember that car. My dad bought one, 22 years later, my mom won't let him live it down! Ah, justification is good...!
Old 08-31-2006, 10:02 AM
VinnyC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen 2 at my local dealer. I have a photo as well. I will post it later.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:30 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

We too had a "Fiat Strada" in some ugly "Grey" - it was a five speed and to be used for a commute from Orange County (Mission Viejo) to downtown L.A. every day...

Oh - those round door handles...
Old 08-31-2006, 02:27 PM
racer_65
Racer

Actually, I'm not too hung up on where the manufacturing happens. Today, we have Mercedes, BMW, and various Japanese brands built in places such as Alabama.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:43 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Don't get all hung up on where the base platform is built and how much those workers get paid. In fact, the VW workers make almost double the wage the average worker in Slovakia. It's all relative.

Across the entire region, the auto industry is quickly becoming a growth engine. Volkswagen, which has invested $1.8 billion in Slovakia, is the country's largest exporter. In the Czech Republic, autos represent 20% of industrial output. The auto-driven boom is also changing the landscape. Roads are being paved and widened, new hyperstores are being built, and factories are mushrooming. Ten minutes from VW's Bratislava plant is a housing enclave dubbed "Hollywood Hills" by the locals. There prosperous new managers live in gracious homes with neatly manicured gardens. Near the VW plant is a posh private club with a swimming pool, tennis courts, and an upscale restaurant. VW employees, who can rise through the ranks and increase their monthly salary from $420 a month to as much as $840, nearly double the country's average income, are focused on education, career moves, and mortgages. "We couldn't advance in the past," says Peter Slovik, a team leader for component production in Bratislava. "Now it's finally possible."
This article is an interesting read: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...0/b3944003.htm
Old 09-02-2006, 02:39 PM
VinnyC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you mean Iceland Blue? It's a tough color to capture with a camera. You have to see it in person.
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2006, 05:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

IIRC, Iceland Blue is Polar Silver.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Colors