Sponsored by:

Normal wear and tear????

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 03:53 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 580 Posts

I assume it's not really a problem with the Diamaris as I've heard of no recurrent problems with that tire- my other son (note a trend here- I've created some monsters) had a similiar blow out with similiear results in our Audi TT roadster with OEM Contis- they were known to have blow out issues- that was discussed ad nauseam on the Audiworld forums a few years back.
Will take it to Costco this weekend- they'll probably pro-rate for a new tire figuring out how much thread life was left. Think I'll replace the other three as well- good idea??? I ASSUME it's an isolated event...
Old 08-24-2006, 03:55 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just out of curiousity... when I had my flat tire adventure last week it really SUCKED changing a tire 5 feet from semi trucks going 75mph on the I-5.

should I have just said f-it and driven on the flat 1/2 mile to the next exit at like 25mph with the flashers on??
Old 08-24-2006, 04:38 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieXS
just out of curiousity... when I had my flat tire adventure last week it really SUCKED changing a tire 5 feet from semi trucks going 75mph on the I-5.

should I have just said f-it and driven on the flat 1/2 mile to the next exit at like 25mph with the flashers on??

Well you survived, but I would pull out of the way of traffic. It is only a rim or car not worth risking your life over. Eventually you will have worn through the tire and started destroying the wheel. Insurance should cover the loss of the wheel if it was expensive enough or depending on deductable

I see too many people around the metro NYC area die from changing tires in the middle of a busy road or backing up on the freeway because they missed their exit.

Never worth tempting fate over something so trivial.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:07 PM
OldManIn911
Intermediate

No reason to doubt it happened just as Ski says. I had a rear tire in my Cayenne S go flat (not a blowout) and didn't realize it until I had driven some distance.... when I pulled over, the tire looked exactly like the picture. Haven't had a flat tire in years and just didn't realize I had a problem until too late.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:27 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by charlieXS
just out of curiousity... when I had my flat tire adventure last week it really SUCKED changing a tire 5 feet from semi trucks going 75mph on the I-5. should I have just said f-it and driven on the flat 1/2 mile to the next exit at like 25mph with the flashers on??
IMHO, YES!! that was my decision... it was the left front and there was no way my buddy or I were going to be a 3-4 feet from the line.. so we went about a 100 yards to an on ramp and then after we saw the condition as in the picture here, I went ahead and pulled all the way to the top and waited on the tow truck.. I was subsequently told that if you don't drive too far and don't make too many turns that you will not hurt the wheel..and the tire will cushion the rim... however, one good thing is the policy I bought also replaces/repairs the rims.. best couple of hundred bucks on the whole cayenne purchase that I made..
Old 08-24-2006, 11:31 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 580 Posts

Called Costco- their road hazard will pay on a pro-rated basis on remaining tread life for a new tire. Luckily we have mounted snow tires so it was easy to change after my wife picked up the kid and they got the snow tire out of the attic... it was the tire away from traffic but still scary- most morons don't get over an inch for people on the side of the road-I'd like to return the favour to them and their kids on bicycles if I ever had the chance. I run on a lot of back roads without sidewalks and always run facing trafffic- it is amazing how many people don't even see you or move over at ALL. Used to want to flip them all off but there are too many of them out there to make it worthwhile... there, done with my rant.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:08 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

maybe you should stop letting your kids drive your cars?
haha noI dunno, accidents happen, glad to hear he's OK!

Quick Reply: Normal wear and tear????