Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally Passed 2K miles - Time To See What Going To The Redline Feels Like

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 09:47 PM
hk_usp9f
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally Passed 2K miles - Time To See What Going To The Redline Feels Like

I finally hit the 2,000 mile mark last weekend. I would have finished break-in sooner were it not for my kids summer vacation. Not having to bring them to school every morning saved me quite a few miles every day.

Yes I did go over 4,500 RPM by accident more than a few times, usually when I was playing with the tiptronic. I forgot I was in manual mode and just kept going (duh).

Anyway the time has come to see what this baby can do. I've been itching to do this since I got a taste of it during my misadventures at 4,500 RPM.

The problem is that the roads around here are so crowded it is nearly impossible to find an opportunity to do this safely. And Milpitas (where I live and work) has been described as one big speed trap.

I hope nothing breaks. Talk to you guys later.

Peace.

Last edited by hk_usp9f; 08-15-2006 at 01:55 PM. Reason: fix grammar on title
Old 08-14-2006, 10:41 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is it a Turbo or S? Either way - take her out and open her up (of course in a safe place) like lets say take Calaveras Road our East then head north past the Calaveras Reservoir - many fond memories on that road back in the ole' days...

Old 08-15-2006, 01:22 PM
hk_usp9f
Instructor

Is it a Turbo or S?
It is an S model.

Either way - take her out and open her up (of course in a safe place) like lets say take Calaveras Road our East then head north past the Calaveras Reservoir - many fond memories on that road back in the ole' days...
Thanks that is a great suggestion. I actually forgot about that one and it is so close to me.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:22 PM
bigboy
AutoX

Aren't Porsche engines broken in at the factory? Dude, you seriously delayed your gratification!
Old 08-15-2006, 05:34 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

You mean I was supposed to break in my engine?
Old 08-16-2006, 12:26 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looooooove my S!!! Drive it everyday and everyday it gives me a smile (even the day I drove it offroad with the suspension risen to drive around some construction debrie that was blocking the road
Old 08-16-2006, 12:54 PM
hk_usp9f
Instructor

Originally Posted by bigboy
Aren't Porsche engines broken in at the factory? Dude, you seriously delayed your gratification!
Maybe, but I doubt Porsche would spend the time and money to do this. It didn't matter - the manual said take it easy for the first 2K miles so I did.

One thing I noticed (and maybe I was just imagining it) is that the engine seemed to start revving freer and smoother after around 1,400 miles. It seemed to be quieter too but that might just be me getting used to the noise.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:11 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Aren't Porsche engines broken in at the factory?
Hmmn, let me think for a moment....NO.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:29 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hk_usp9f
I finally hit the 2,000 mile mark last weekend. Yes I did go over 4,500 RPM by accident more than a few times, usually when I was playing with the tiptronic. I forgot I was in manual mode and just kept going (duh). Anyway the time has come to see what this baby can do. I've been itching to do this since I got a taste of it during my misadventures at 4,500 RPM.
I hope nothing breaks. Talk to you guys later. Peace.
The one major reason the Cayenne stays in my stable is the agility and speed of this sucker for as heavy and utilitarian as it is... Just my typical conservative caution here.. it isn't worth a reckless driving/insurance price popping ticket(s).. get thee to a track.. and/or come do the PDE in Birmingham at the Barber facility.. or, lastly head up to north nevada and/or montana and open it up where you can see for plenty of distance.. have no traffic and borrow someone's top of the line radar/infrared detector.. Enjoy.. oh and the official kool-aid is a must whilest you do this!

p.s. the thrill still is in the "get up and go" on onramps and large curves where you blow away.. civic mods, jeeps, bimmers, etc.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:33 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I hope he isn't expecting the kind of acceleration that would make him want to wear a 'G' suit to prevent red out/black out......345hp / 5000lbs isn't going to give you that.
I can just see it now......foot to the floor.....wait, that's it? I waited 2000 miles for THAT?!

In any case, I would suggest turning PSM 'Off' for your right footed experiments.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:00 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Originally Posted by ltc
I hope he isn't expecting the kind of acceleration that would make him want to wear a 'G' suit to prevent red out/black out......345hp / 5000lbs isn't going to give you that.
I can just see it now......foot to the floor.....wait, that's it? I waited 2000 miles for THAT?!

In any case, I would suggest turning PSM 'Off' for your right footed experiments.
it's better than 250hp/5000lbs

I remember when I test drove the V6 the first time... I squashed the throttle down from a light and MMMMMMMMMM yeah, nothing there. The salesman said OH it's just because it starts in 2nd gear. So next light I tip to first and MMMMMMMMM still nothing. Oh well... in my price range it was either X3 3.0, which was fun to drive and pretty fast but really small, or an X5 which I see 1000x per day driven by soccer moms and the new ML that handles "yacht like"... or a V8 T-reg...

OTOH, I could've bought an SRT8. Hmmmmm...
Old 08-16-2006, 02:04 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Aren't Porsche engines broken in at the factory?
I never know if people are just kidding or convincing themselves of that so they don't feel bad about gunning right out of the box. I find myself cursing the jerky SMG while I wait for the 3,100 mile break-in period of the M5 . I've tried to convince myself that BMW breaks their engines in at the factory, but it just doesn't work.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:18 AM
jangobox
Instructor

Originally Posted by charlieXS
OTOH, I could've bought an SRT8. Hmmmmm...
Yeah but it's still just a SRT8. I still love my Cayenne problems or not. Though I still get a couple of idiots saying, "Man that is the nicest Cadillac I have ever seen!"
Old 08-18-2006, 01:44 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hk_usp9f
I finally hit the 2,000 mile mark last weekend. I would have finished break-in sooner were it not for my kids summer vacation. Not having to bring them to school every morning saved me quite a few miles every day.

Yes I did go over 4,500 RPM by accident more than a few times, usually when I was playing with the tiptronic. I forgot I was in manual mode and just kept going (duh).

Anyway the time has come to see what this baby can do. I've been itching to do this since I got a taste of it during my misadventures at 4,500 RPM.

The problem is that the roads around here are so crowded it is nearly impossible to find an opportunity to do this safely. And Milpitas (where I live and work) has been described as one big speed trap.

I hope nothing breaks. Talk to you guys later.

Peace.
Take a couple of days off, head up I5 to I80 over Donner Pass, then down the back road on the east side of the mountains back to LA. Don't sit in traffic, enjoy.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:40 PM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jangobox
Yeah but it's still just a SRT8. I still love my Cayenne problems or not. Though I still get a couple of idiots saying, "Man that is the nicest Cadillac I have ever seen!"
At least you know they are an idiot when they think it's a Caddy, and you can pretty much write off the comment. It hurts much more when you hear (as I have) something like "Dude...nice Touareg" or "I didn't know VW made them in that color (Carmon Red)" Ouch...

Quick Reply: Finally Passed 2K miles - Time To See What Going To The Redline Feels Like