Sponsored by:

Intrax lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 04:14 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intrax lowering springs?

Like others on the forum, I have been considering lowering my Cayenne. I have the steel springs and want to come down 1.5 to 2 inches. I would certainly take any improvements in handling, but the more aggressive appearance and filling out the wheel well is really what I'm after. I want to tone down the "911 on stilts" look of the Cayenne. But, I am also very concerned about maintaining ride comfort. I do not want my Cayenne to be transformed into a stiff, race-car ride--I can get that on my 997S in sport mode!

So, I was considering H&R springs, which I've heard pretty good things about. They lower front and back by about 1.4 inches and don't seem to sacrifice ride quality too much.

But, then I dscovered Intrax springs, which I am not as familiar with. According to an advertisement on the web, though, they seem to be just what the doctor ordered, AND they lower front and back by 2 inches....see blurb below from the ad:

"What makes Porsche Cayenne Intrax springs better? Intrax designs most of its Porsche Cayenne lowering kits with progressive rates, to satisfy the two features you've asked for most. First, the lowered look. Most other brands' springs are linear rate, as this is cost-effective but doesn't necessarily provide the visual effect you desire. By designing a progressive spring, we achieve the lowered look while maintaining safety standards of spring preload at suspension droop. The second requirement is ride quality. Since most of you identified that you drove 90% of your mileage to and from work, you wanted to retain the same ride quality enjoyed with OE springs. If you're driving to work on a racetrack, "Sport" or "Race" springs from other brands may be for you. Porsche Cayenne Intrax progressive springs provide high performance looks and comfortable ride quality."

See http://www.drivewire.com/performance...oweringsprings

Anyone have experience or more insight into Intrax or other possible selections that would be similar in terms of drop and ride quality?
Old 08-04-2006, 05:34 PM
alcantara
Advanced

I drove a Honda Accord in highschool and I lowered it with intrax springs. They seemed pretty good at the time, but the only thing that bothered me was that they threw the camber of the wheels off giving it that squatting look.

On a Cayenne, however, I don't know. They were fairly comfortable springs though witha good drop. I don't think the Cayenne would suffer from camber issues...

Alot of people swear by H&R...some have even said it's a more comfortable ride than stock. I plan on getting H&R myself...
Old 08-04-2006, 10:30 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got Intrax on my Audi S4. The ride height is perfect -- a nice low stance without looking "slammed." Ride quality is excellent with the progressive spring rate. I can't speak to their Cayenne set-up, but they did a real nice job on the Audi.

Old 08-05-2006, 12:05 AM
GM Austin
Pro

PCA has info in their current Panorama regarding lowering the Cayenne:

[QUOTE]
Q: I put lower HR springs on my car and while I really like the look, the ride is incredibly harsh. The tire pressures were kept at 38psi. I was wondering if there is another kind of adjustment that should be made to the suspension when installing these springs.

[A: When you lower a car, the springs are usually stiffer. Otherwise the car would bottom out. If you lower a 5200 pound vehicle, you really get a stiff suspension. There is nothing you can do about it other than go back to stock.

Peter Smith - PCA WebSite - 7/28/2006
/QUOTE]

Click for Link to Article
Old 12-07-2007, 09:33 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

[QUOTE=GM Austin;3289893]PCA has info in their current Panorama regarding lowering the Cayenne:

Q: I put lower HR springs on my car and while I really like the look, the ride is incredibly harsh. The tire pressures were kept at 38psi. I was wondering if there is another kind of adjustment that should be made to the suspension when installing these springs.

[A: When you lower a car, the springs are usually stiffer. Otherwise the car would bottom out. If you lower a 5200 pound vehicle, you really get a stiff suspension. There is nothing you can do about it other than go back to stock.

Peter Smith - PCA WebSite - 7/28/2006
/QUOTE]

Click for Link to Article
All depends how low you go and if you are taking the damper (shock) out of it's "efficiency" range. You don't want to be riding on the bump stops, that's not a comfy ride.

Most aftermarket springs aren't really harsh. What can happen is that the spring can be a bit too high a rate so that the suspension is oversprung and underdamped (when running a stock damper), resulting in a porpoisy/pogo'y ride. Some coilover kits in the German market exhibit this unfortunately.

HTH,
Jeremy

Quick Reply: Intrax lowering springs?