Sponsored by:

20,000 mile checkup--let's compare notes

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 12:22 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20,000 mile checkup--let's compare notes

Just for pupropses of comparison, I thought I'd relate my experience during the 20,000 checkup on my 2004 CS.

Fisrt of all, I got the service needed indicator at 16,000 miles rather than 20,000. So, perhaps I'm a bit more spirited than the typical driver. Or, perhaps I needed the service at 16,000 since it has taken about 2 years to get to that mark. Still have not figured that one out completely.

The oil change cost $300, which seemed kind of pricey.

Also, last November, I had the tires re-balanced after having had a slight vibration issue at about 65-70 MPH for quite a while. Vibration came back within about a month in December or January. Now, the service manager told me that the Pirelli tires are wearing unevenly and that is the cause of the vibration. Yet, they also tell me that the tires have been properly inflated, and that they still have good tread life remaining, with about 6 to 7/32 of tread remaining. Yet another lame excuse for the pesky vibration issue?

Also, I had noticed that some on the forum were getting the "Recall W401" taken care of. That is, the dealership was replacing the silver rear lid strip along with all the lower silver trim strips and the Cayenne logo. I had noticed some slight milky tarnishing on the B-pillar trim piece on the driver's side. The dealer offered to replace this under warranty, but basically said the recall had only to do with the lower trim pieces at the bottoms of the doors and that it had to do with stone chips and excessive wear, which my vehicle did not exhibit. I did not have all of the information on the recall committed to memory, and did not even recall the number (W401), but now that I have refreshed my memory I may mention this when I return. My rear lid trim piece does have some discoloration.

Well, that's the report. How do your recent service experiences compare on these issues?
Old 08-01-2006, 08:31 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by STATMAN
Fisrt of all, I got the service needed indicator at 16,000 miles rather than 20,000. So, perhaps I'm a bit more spirited than the typical driver. Or, perhaps I needed the service at 16,000 since it has taken about 2 years to get to that mark. Still have not figured that one out completely.
As has been discussed previously, the algorithm used isn't quite ready for primetime yet (meaning: it's not worth it's weight).
There are brand new Cayennes which will display the "Service Soon" message within a couple hundred miles after coming off the boat. All dealers (should) reset the "Service Soon" warning during customer PDI.
The oil change cost $300, which seemed kind of pricey.
It is what it is. Some dealers charge less ($220)
Also, last November, I had the tires re-balanced after having had a slight vibration issue at about 65-70 MPH for quite a while. Vibration came back within about a month in December or January. Now, the service manager told me that the Pirelli tires are wearing unevenly and that is the cause of the vibration. Yet, they also tell me that the tires have been properly inflated, and that they still have good tread life remaining, with about 6 to 7/32 of tread remaining. Yet another lame excuse for the pesky vibration issue?
Likely, yes.
Also, I had noticed that some on the forum were getting the "Recall W401" taken care of. That is, the dealership was replacing the silver rear lid strip along with all the lower silver trim strips and the Cayenne logo. I had noticed some slight milky tarnishing on the B-pillar trim piece on the driver's side. The dealer offered to replace this under warranty, but basically said the recall had only to do with the lower trim pieces at the bottoms of the doors and that it had to do with stone chips and excessive wear, which my vehicle did not exhibit. I did not have all of the information on the recall committed to memory, and did not even recall the number (W401), but now that I have refreshed my memory I may mention this when I return. My rear lid trim piece does have some discoloration.
W401, like most service campaigns, is VIN range specific. That having been said, the range is NOT carved in stone, as no one is exactly sure when the affected parts were purged from production, etc.
That having been said, W401 evolved from rusting of the stainless steel trim (yes, I know, it cant REALLY be stainless steel if it develops rust spots can it?), to a tarnishing/discoloration/clouding and then to "the affected trim pieces may just fall off the car at highway speeds".....which happened to one forum member) or any combination of the above.
If you are concerned regarding a specific piece of trim on your Cayenne, simply bring these facts to your SA's attention and I'm sure they will replace the trim for you.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:41 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I do my own service and will have SERVICE NOW on my dash for the couple seconds it is on after every startup till it goes back to the dealer at the end of the lease. I had it go off 2x in the first 10K miles. Tired of making trips to the for stupid things.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:14 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
As has been discussed previously, the algorithm used isn't quite ready for primetime yet (meaning: it's not worth it's weight).
There are brand new Cayennes which will display the "Service Soon" message within a couple hundred miles after coming off the boat. All dealers (should) reset the "Service Soon" warning during customer PDI.
In my case, the algorithm (for what its worth) seemed to work in a sensible way.

Originally Posted by ltc
W401, like most service campaigns, is VIN range specific. That having been said, the range is NOT carved in stone, as no one is exactly sure when the affected parts were purged from production, etc.
That having been said, W401 evolved from rusting of the stainless steel trim (yes, I know, it cant REALLY be stainless steel if it develops rust spots can it?), to a tarnishing/discoloration/clouding and then to "the affected trim pieces may just fall off the car at highway speeds".....which happened to one forum member) or any combination of the above.
If you are concerned regarding a specific piece of trim on your Cayenne, simply bring these facts to your SA's attention and I'm sure they will replace the trim for you.
Good points...nothing falling off the car--that's good. But, my B-pillar stainless piece did have that cloudy look, and service agreed to replace under warranty.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:16 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
I do my own service and will have SERVICE NOW on my dash for the couple seconds it is on after every startup till it goes back to the dealer at the end of the lease. I had it go off 2x in the first 10K miles. Tired of making trips to the for stupid things.
Hmm, now there's a concept. On a lease, though, I would have assumed that the dealer would have required service to be performed at their shop.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:35 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Hmm, now there's a concept. On a lease, though, I would have assumed that the dealer would have required service to be performed at their shop.
Guess I need to re-read my lease agreement. But I thought that was against the law to require that unless they were covering ($) the bill--a la BMW.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:33 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Here's what the lease states:
"you are responsible for the servicing and maintenance of the vehicle....according to the maintenance program required by the manufacturer....."

Looks like the usual DIY with documentation is sufficient.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:36 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Here's what the lease states:
"you are responsible for the servicing and maintenance of the vehicle....according to the maintenance program required by the manufacturer....."

Looks like the usual DIY with documentation is sufficient.
That's cool...works for me. I actually would have liked the idea of actually seeing, feeling, and generally observing what the oil looks like after 16,000 miles of wear and tear.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:32 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Kind of pricey?

How about $560 for 20k service? Was quoted that today at Len Stoler in MD. F-g laughable.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:57 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
How about $560 for 20k service? Was quoted that today at Len Stoler in MD. F-g laughable.
Wow, that is comedy. Often, though, they seem to quote an amount that they will not exceed. My quote was $500, but it turbned out to be a "bargain" at $300.

Now wait a minute--I used to live in Baltimore and bought a Lexus RX 300 at Len Stoler about 7 years ago. Good 'ol Len sell Porsches? I did not know that.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:56 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Wow, that is comedy. Often, though, they seem to quote an amount that they will not exceed. My quote was $500, but it turbned out to be a "bargain" at $300.

Now wait a minute--I used to live in Baltimore and bought a Lexus RX 300 at Len Stoler about 7 years ago. Good 'ol Len sell Porsches? I did not know that.
Yup, he's now selling Porsches & Audis. Got a very good discount on my CS too, but it's now with their service department for a week because it's been clunking, so I'll do the 20k service with them + few other minor things.

You must have lived somewhere in the Owings Mills/Pikesville area if you purchased from him?
Old 08-07-2006, 01:13 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Yup, he's now selling Porsches & Audis. Got a very good discount on my CS too, but it's now with their service department for a week because it's been clunking, so I'll do the 20k service with them + few other minor things.

You must have lived somewhere in the Owings Mills/Pikesville area if you purchased from him?
Clunking does not sound good and a week at the dealership does not sound good either! I hope there is a resolution in sight.

I actually lived in Baltimore in the Homeland neighborhood. Beautiful area--developed by the landscape architect Olmstead, who also developed Central Park in NYC. I do miss the mild winters at times!
Old 08-07-2006, 11:31 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Clunking does not sound good and a week at the dealership does not sound good either! I hope there is a resolution in sight.

I actually lived in Baltimore in the Homeland neighborhood. Beautiful area--developed by the landscape architect Olmstead, who also developed Central Park in NYC. I do miss the mild winters at times!
Clunk has been going on for a few months now and I'm refraining from posting about it until it is resolved. Once it is, I'll bore you guys with a loooooong & at times very angry recap :-D

Driving a service manager's own (why it says Porsche/Audi Loaner on the back, I don't know) '06 CS, is that respect or what? lol

Homeland is a beautiful area. I was there just this weekend. One of the few nice places in Balto.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:48 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Clunk has been going on for a few months now and I'm refraining from posting about it until it is resolved. Once it is, I'll bore you guys with a loooooong & at times very angry recap :-D

Driving a service manager's own (why it says Porsche/Audi Loaner on the back, I don't know) '06 CS, is that respect or what? lol

Homeland is a beautiful area. I was there just this weekend. One of the few nice places in Balto.
At least you are getting good treatment by the service dept. I am interested to hear the saga...hope there is a happy ending.

Yes, there are not too many nice places in Baltimore, but that general area with Guilford, Homeland, and Rowland Park sure is pretty--both the homes and the big trees and beautiful landscaping. There is nothing that even comes close to resembling it here in Wisconsin.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:47 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

I am interested to hear the saga...hope there is a happy ending.
I'll post a detailed recount with names, dates, pictures of dead bodies, etc., :-D

Quick Reply: 20,000 mile checkup--let's compare notes