Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP: TRADE IN OR SELL PRIVATELY???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 05:04 PM
baileybonds
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP: TRADE IN OR SELL PRIVATELY???

Hey guys,
Im thinking of trading in/selling my 05 Cayenne S and getting a 997 instead.
I'm debating whether I should trade it in to the local p-car dealer, or try to sell it privately.

Here is what the specs are:

05 Cayenne S
- Silver
- PCM
- PASM
- Xenon Lights
- Dark Wood Steering Wheel
- Dark Wood Interior Trim
- Heated Front Seats
- Driver Seat Memory Package
- Soft Look Seats
- 18" Turbo Wheels
- Colored Crests for wheels
- Roof Transport System
- Compass Display
Mileage = 20,100

The MSRP when I purchased was 69.9k The dealer is offering me 47k. This seems way low to me (I live in Los Angeles).
Should I trade it in, or sell it privately? Anyone on here wanna make me an offer?
Thanks for your help,
Dave
Old 07-12-2006, 05:53 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

The dealer will turn around and sell it for mid-fifties..... Probably $55-$56k
If you think the $8-9k loss on the car is acceptable for your convenience, then go for the trade-in.
Personally, I'd sell it myself somewhere in the middle and keep the extra cabbage.

The car is well-optioned and a good color. It should sell fast.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:25 PM
VinnyC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will almost always do better selling private vs. trading in.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:45 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Your selling point is it has PASM.. very hard to find,,IMO.. unless you buy a cayenne turbo
Old 07-13-2006, 04:50 AM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Sell yourself. That trade-in is way too low.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:12 AM
akif
Advanced

Originally Posted by baileybonds
Hey guys,
Im thinking of trading in/selling my 05 Cayenne S and getting a 997 instead.
I'm debating whether I should trade it in to the local p-car dealer, or try to sell it privately.

Here is what the specs are:

05 Cayenne S
- Silver
- PCM
- PASM
- Xenon Lights
- Dark Wood Steering Wheel
- Dark Wood Interior Trim
- Heated Front Seats
- Driver Seat Memory Package
- Soft Look Seats
- 18" Turbo Wheels
- Colored Crests for wheels
- Roof Transport System
- Compass Display
Mileage = 20,100

The MSRP when I purchased was 69.9k The dealer is offering me 47k. This seems way low to me (I live in Los Angeles).
Should I trade it in, or sell it privately? Anyone on here wanna make me an offer?
Thanks for your help,
Dave
Have you looked at Edmunds, KBB, etc.? I think private parties will respect those numbers more than dealers will. Edmunds has the Fair Market Value based on what others are paying. You may or may not be able to get that, and there's no guarantees on when your car will sell (private party sale), but if the difference is big enough, you may find it worth your while to go through the hassle and time.

One guy at the dealership told me that he would pay me apprx. $3k less than the wholeshale value (this is for a car worth 5-6k) - gave me an idea of where the haggling would start from. I decided not to haggle with them at all on this, and plan to sell my car on my own. I'm not at all in a hurry to get rid of it, and unless I get a good price will just keep it.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:55 AM
rbaron
Racer

Do not, however, overlook the issue of personal safety. Advertising the car to the public and then showing it to who knows, carries a certain amount of risk.

It may be there is an independent seller of such cars who will assume these risks for a reasonable commission on the sale.

--Bob
Old 07-13-2006, 11:18 AM
bigboy
AutoX

Just an FYI -- my wife and I are looking at Cayennes up here in the Bay Area. We're seeing a steady stream of them on sale, but there isn't that much turnaround on them it seems unless the dealer (or private party) drops the price on them a lot.

05 Cayenne S with fewer options are starting to drop to the upper $40K range now on private party sales up here. Good luck...
Old 07-13-2006, 04:32 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Don't overlook Carmax's purchase option. When I traded an '01 Range Rover, the RR dealership was the lowest, then the Porsche dealership and Carmax was the highest.

Don't forget to factor in the tax savings on the trade since you are going to another Pcar. Sounds like a great vehicle and I doubt you would have a hard time selling.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:22 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm just curious.....
Exactly what do people expect a used Cayenne to be worth?
Is the expectation based on the resale value history of other Porsches?

I would imagine the Cayenne market to be a buyer's market for quite a while, as there appears to be no shortage (re: overproduction) of Cayennes in the foreseeable future under Dr W. An ample supply of new AND used/CPO vehicles will be available, by design/marketing plan.

Mechanical options (PASM, PSM, etc) tend to have a much higher resale value when compared to cosmetic options (wood kit, etc), so the difference between MSRP and 'Fair Market Value' can be fairly wide.

Also, the type of 'book' being used by the dealer/purchasing party can make quite a difference.
For instance, someone (no names) may have (hypothetically) owned an 04 Cayenne S with PASM, 20" wheels, yadayada, no warranty/naked (60K+ miles), original MSRP of $68K.
Galves would list that vehicle as being worth $28-30K. Yes, many Porsche dealers will use Galves.....you can sign up for $10 and run your cars thru Galves ifyou like.

It is what it is.....
Old 07-13-2006, 06:30 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

For a trade in I don't think $47 is out of line. The dealer paid $46k for the '04 I bought in January with 12k miles, roof, tow, wood, air, nav, etc. I believe they had it listed at $53k.

I'm sure there are a ton of '04 and '05 Cayennes out there so you would expect a buyers market.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:31 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JPhillips-998
Don't forget to factor in the tax savings on the trade since you are going to another Pcar. .
He won't get that in Cali, it is a NO credit state!
Old 07-13-2006, 11:37 PM
Phil S
Advanced

Originally Posted by ltc
I'm just curious.....
Exactly what do people expect a used Cayenne to be worth?
Is the expectation based on the resale value history of other Porsches?

I would imagine the Cayenne market to be a buyer's market for quite a while, as there appears to be no shortage (re: overproduction) of Cayennes in the foreseeable future under Dr W.
Kelly Blue Book claims the Cayenne has one of the best resale values in its class. This is not the first year it has been on their list. Here is what they said:

"Kelley Blue Book picks the 2006 vehicles that are most likely to hold their value.

The 5-Series is one of two BMW products on Kelley Blue Book's list of 2006 vehicles projected to most likely hold their value.

The top-ranking luxury car among the 2006 Best Resale Value Award winners, the 2006 Infiniti M45 represents one of two Nissan products to make the list.

Kelley Blue Book predicts the Volvo XC90 will retain its value better than most—one of three SUVs to do so.

BMW 5-Series
Chevrolet Corvette
Honda Accord Hybrid
Honda Odyssey
Infiniti G35
Infiniti M
Lexus GX 470
Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class
MINI Cooper
Porsche Cayenne
Subaru Outback
Toyota Prius
Toyota Tacoma
Volvo XC90

Named the top convertible, the 400-horsepower Chevrolet Corvette is also the lone domestic to make best resale value list.

Luxury vehicles make up more than half of the top 2006 model year vehicles expected to retain the most value, according to the latest study from Kelley Blue Book.
Kelley Blue Book, which awards vehicles projected to have the best resale value after five years of ownership, has both BMW and Nissan leading the way once again with two models each—the BMW 5-Series and BMW-built MINI Cooper, as well as the Nissan-built Infiniti G35 Coupe and Infiniti M45.

Besides BMW and Nissan, other brands listed as repeat winners are the Lexus GX 470, Porsche Cayenne and Volvo XC90. "
Old 07-13-2006, 11:43 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In that case, never mind, forget everything I said.
KBB it is, simple enough.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:40 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
He won't get that in Cali, it is a NO credit state!
Well Crap, that sucks! What about driving to Nevada or somthing. City tax in Chicago is something like 9.5 or 10% so a $50,000 trade in would credit you for a $5000 tax saving.

Last edited by JPhillips-998; 07-14-2006 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP: TRADE IN OR SELL PRIVATELY???