Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Colored Wax for Keyjob scratches??

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 12:38 PM
IslandBoy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Colored Wax for Keyjob scratches??

I got away with driving Porsches for 15 years, without any vandalism!! My wife parked her new Cayenne S in the mall last week, and some SOB keyed her all the way down one side. Being a black car, it really stands out.
I know the long term solution is to repaint, however as a short term fix I have heard about people using colored wax. Has anyone had any experience with this? If so what kind of wax, and where is it available???
Any info would be appreciated ..................
Old 06-29-2006, 12:54 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

You might try filling the scratch with a pen based touch up, compound it smooth then use a pen based clear again, compounding it smooth. There might also talk with some local body shops, they might be able to do a fill and buff for a lot less than a repaint.

One more reason the hate South Florida......
Old 06-29-2006, 01:57 PM
hk_usp9f
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IslandBoy,

Sorry that happened to you. Getting keyed is my biggest fear.

There is an online source for a paint pen with Porsche colors:

https://www.paintscratch.com/

(search for your car by year, make and model).

I don't have experience buying from them but I have seen them mentioned in other Porsche boards in the past. The paint pen can be used to cover up scratches and other minor damage.

I've used colored wax to cover up a scratch on one of my cars. I bought it at an auto parts store many years ago (like Pepboys, Autozone, Kragen, etc). I'm at work so I can't check right now for the brand.

The wax works well to hide the scratch but it will still be visible at certain angles. It somewhat fills in the scratch and comes close enough to camoulflage it. Mine was a dark blue so I don't know how it will work on black.

However it only lasts a few weeks after which you need to reapply again. After a while I got tired of doing it and just left the scratch alone.

The good news is that repairs can be satisfactorily done on key marks. I have seen many repair jobs done and there is no trace left of the damage.

I myself am resigned to the fact that it will happen to me someday despite the care I take in choosing a parking spot. There are a**holes everywhere who simply don't care.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:08 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
One more reason the hate South Florida......
And VA? And NY? And most likely every state in the US? :-).
Old 06-29-2006, 02:15 PM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IslandBoy,

Go to www.autopia.org and see who can help you locally with the keying problem.

Lot of those guys are mobile and can probably fix the problem to look like new.
Otherwise, they'll probably use the same process as mjw930 mentioned but wetsand the area smooth with 2000 or 3000 grit sandpaper after the initial touchup,then use an intese compound/polish to make it perfect.

I hate body shops personally as I had a few chips on the hood of my old M3, to fix the 2 small rock chips they wanted to paint half the hood and charge $1100(middle finger symbol)
Try someone who is mobile considering a lot of them take before and after pics so should be good reference to their work.

Let us know the outcome!
Old 06-29-2006, 02:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This may be another option:
http://www.autovisuals.com/
The pen is a bit easier to work with compared to a touch up brush.

If the scratch is just in the clearcoat and not in the paint (down to primer/metal), something like Maquires Scratch-X will help 'soften and fill' the clearcoat scratch, rendering it much less noticeable.

In the detailing/concours forum, there is a professional detailer, rennlist id/name 'Anthony Orosco'. I would definitely send him a PM and see what he would suggest.

Very sorry to hear about your issue and best of luck
Old 06-29-2006, 03:40 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Nah, just S. Florida

I'm in Central FL and I hate to travel south in either of my P-Cars. It's like having a big red target painted on my side. Thank goodness for the FL CCW laws

NYC, Fuggetaboudit

Anyway, back on topic. I agree, a 2000 - 3000 wet sand will smooth it out but black is a royal PITA whenever you touch it with any form of grit be it sand paper or compound. This is something I would leave to a pro.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:06 PM
IslandBoy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Guys! Definately some worthy alternatives to repainting the whole right side of the car. Will get to work on them right away .........
Old 07-06-2006, 11:34 AM
BG993
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the things you may also want to look into is a system called SSR, it is a paint based scratch repair, that works preyy well if the key mark did not go all the way through to the metal. The scratch is still there, but it hides it pretty effectively. Usually runs 30-40 dollars per panel.

Bill

P.S. - I am a principal in a Dallas based business (Prep My Ride) that utilizes the system in used car prep, so the usual caveats apply....

Quick Reply: Colored Wax for Keyjob scratches??