Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Variable-Assisted steering. Do you like it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 11:37 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 934 Likes on 565 Posts

I'd say the steering feel in my 914 (or Lotus for that matter) is near perfect. No assist, just my arms...

BTW- I have the assist steering on my CS and my son's S4 has it and we like it on both vehicles
Old 06-21-2006, 01:05 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Dirty little PAG secret #11:

Options that don't meet pre production marketing predicitons/expectations.

Say you develop an option....oh, I don't know, like ServoAssist steering, rearview camera, Cayenne Powerkit.....at a fairly substantial cost for development, tooling, testing, etc....and give an annual production # to the supplier in order to get a guaranteed price.

Now let's say folks don't order the option (uneducated buyers) and PAG is stuck with LOTS of inventory they had to purchase from their suppliers per agreements/contracts.....

What to do?

Simple.

Start installing them in all fleet/dealer/PCNA spec'd vehicles in order to run down the inventory
and/or
Invent a new model variant (CTTS or CSTi) and start loading those options on at a reduced cost to minimize your losses and meet overall vehicle sales #s

Seems like good business practice to me. The company must get some level of Return on Investment for development.

Not all new things are bad......... If this were the case, then Bose would still be making and selling only the old 901 reflecting speaker and they wouldn't need sharp electrical engineers to design electronics. Unless you count a passive crossover network as electronic?
Old 06-21-2006, 11:24 PM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott C
Seems like good business practice to me. The company must get some level of Return on Investment for development.
Yes, the ROI business case is valid, but a better business PRACTICE would be to simply include it in the base price of the vehicle like most manufacturers do. An option list that includes something like this (which is standard equipment on all competitor vehicles, and many much lower priced vehicles) is IMHO deceptive... It's also why the Porsche options list so damn (and unnecessarily) long.

BTW, I personally would not own an SUV without variable-assist steering...it makes parking a snap
Old 06-24-2006, 04:04 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have it and can manuevor my CS like a glove. This IMHO should have been a standard option.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:27 AM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The added assist at low speed is a nice touch. Given the low price of this option, I'd say it's a must have.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:00 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My CS didn't come (as ordered by Dealer) with it, but I would have ordered it accordingl

Quick Reply: Variable-Assisted steering. Do you like it?