Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne Turbo S in Snow?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 07:40 PM
hk_usp9f
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, a dedicated 2nd set of tires is better, specially for a Tahoe resident.

But if you had only one set and they were 20" rims, wouldn't all-weather tires be a good choice?
Old 06-19-2006, 08:17 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hk_usp9f
Agreed, a dedicated 2nd set of tires is better, specially for a Tahoe resident.
But if you had only one set and they were 20" rims, wouldn't all-weather tires be a good choice?
No.
If you don't have winter rated compounds/tires (again, look for the snowflake), you will be driving on black plastic discs pretending to be tires.

IF you were forced to compromise and only have one set of 20" rims, then switching from summer tires to winter tires would be acceptable.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:40 PM
hk_usp9f
Instructor

Thanks ltc.

Allow me to clarify what I said and let me know what you think.

I have only one set of rims (and they are 20") and if I wanted one set of tires only that I can use all year long, aren't M+S tires good enough?

I understand the dry-weather performance compromises but are M+S safe enough for light snow use only? Is a winter tire the only solution for driving in a heavy snowfall on uncleared roads?
Old 06-19-2006, 11:14 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I have only one set of rims (and they are 20") and if I wanted one set of tires only that I can use all year long, aren't M+S tires good enough?
I understand the dry-weather performance compromises but are M+S safe enough for light snow use only? Is a winter tire the only solution for driving in a heavy snowfall on uncleared roads?
IMHO, I see 2 potential problems:
1. As mentioned previously, a 20" tire's contact patch is a bit wide for driving in deep (more than a few inches) of snow.
2. Temperature, not snowfall, will be the determining factor in reducing available traction, again based on the tire compound.

There is a very large difference in cold/snow conditions between a M+S and a true (snowflake sidewall) high silica (or equivalent) compound tire.....if you've ever tried it, you'll know what I'm talking about. As long as you're aware of what your limitations are going to be (in cold and in warm/dry conditions) and limited to a single set of wheels, you might be able to manage.

On the plus side, a M+S will likely yield much improved tire life over the std homologated summer high performance tires.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:13 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy crap. This thread is bad news. I use the Cayenne as my snow car, too. Got a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks on 255/18 AT rims for winter use. Absolutely a mountain goat in the snow with those tires. Figured I just use the 18's from the Cayenne S on the new turbo S but... now I'm hosed.

The fun I make for myself... never ends.

Edit - Good news! I just checked the Bridgestone website. They make a Blizzak truck tire in a 265/50QR20. Perfect.

Crying out loud, now I have to buy a new set of winter rims and tires while trying to get rid of the 18's which have great rubber on them.

Anybody want to buy a set of four Bridgestone LM-22 snow and ice tires on AT rims?
Old 06-22-2006, 01:59 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Thanks ltc.

Allow me to clarify what I said and let me know what you think.

M+S are "good enough" but they are not very good in the freezing temps. I'm mean, from personal experience, there is mud, there is snow, and then there is below 20 degree snow. Because I live up here, that'd be Tahoe, I have a winter set of tires pre shod on a winter set of rims ( the rims take a thrashing ) standing in the corner of the garage. But, if you're just bopping up from Milpitas a couple of times a year, then M+S will do. For me, they won't do. The issue is the temperature at which the rubber turns into rock hard, no grip, let's go sliding around leather dress shoes for your car.

Important to note that M+S are not really GOOD at anything... they are "good enough" at several things. They will still break loose when the rubber is really cold or when the road is sticky slush ( a surface that is by far worse than packed snow ).

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being drag slicks and 10 being chains, my personal experience up here would give studs on snow tires a 9, studless snow tires an 8, and M+S tires a 5, summer performance tires a 2.

Nice sidearm BTW

Last edited by JohnnyNarcosis; 06-22-2006 at 02:34 AM.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:34 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
Anybody want to buy a set of four Bridgestone LM-22 snow and ice tires on AT rims?
Are you by any chance coming soon to Montreal? I will gladly relieve you of the burden of ownership of these wheels. Well, assuming they are in reasonable condition. I will definitely need a winter set of 18" rims and I did use LM-22s before. They will work great with my Pepper.

PM me to discuss further.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:09 AM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

I am visiting my folks here in Alaska and saw my first Pepper today: Cayenne Turbo S with black out option on sport technos. My folks live on the hillside in south Anchorage where AWD and good snow tires/studs are a must. I really wonder what that owner is going to do this winter.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:31 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Blade-MD
I am visiting my folks here in Alaska and saw my first Pepper today: Cayenne Turbo S with black out option on sport technos. My folks live on the hillside in south Anchorage where AWD and good snow tires/studs are a must. I really wonder what that owner is going to do this winter.
Probably drive his other 4x4........
Old 06-24-2006, 11:33 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

If you are allowed to run studs on a proper snow tire, you should have few problems.....unfortunately, most states have banned them from highways for obvious reasons.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:47 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Studs are allowed here in Alaska from about September 15th through May 1st. Once that time is up the Troopers are pretty quick to ticket due to the damage to the pavement.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:14 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Bridgestone makes a great tire. My turbo S will be running 20" Bridgestone Blizzaks on a set of 20" sport technos I got off of eBay. Rims have approx. 10 miles on them before they were removed by the Florida owner for after markets.

The summer Conti's on their summer rims will sit in the corner all winter.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:53 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
Bridgestone makes a great tire. My turbo S will be running 20" Bridgestone Blizzaks on a set of 20" sport technos I got off of eBay.
Blizzaks are one of the best deep snow tires, but do not fare so well on dry pavement. The outer soft/spongy compound (which gives it its deep snow advantage) tends to wear away quickly when driving at high speeds on dry pavement, as often happens on the highways during the winter....once worn away, they are basically the same as any snow(flake) rated tire.
If you live in deep snow and don't do much dry pavement/highway driving during the winter, Blizzaks are the tire of choice.

For all around winter (snow, dry, highway) driving, I've never found a tire better than the Continental ContiWinter Contact TS790's (haven't tried the new 810's). On all my previous cars (as well as cars owned by friends who I recommended the 790's to), they have been excellent.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:59 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

I will say from expeiance the Blizzacks are great in snow and awful on dry pavement. Simple lane transfers on dry pavement are a handful. Never buy them again for that reason.

I have the Perelli Scorpions on 255/19's (dedicated wheels) very good all around tire. So long as you monitor tire pressure they perform nicely. Wheels can be picked up cheap on Ebay. Why pay the money to switch twice a year. At 14 inches of snow the Perelli's performed perfectly with no loss of taction. The turbo S should not be an issue so long as you drive with your head.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:05 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Please note that there are two main types of Blizzacks. LM and WS. WS is very good on ice but terrible on dry roads. LM is often V rated and is a reasonable compromise, especially on a AWD car.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Turbo S in Snow?