Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just put a deposit on a CS

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 01:44 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now here's a posssible BAAAD scenario... what if the very cool PURE RED color is NOT offered on the 2008 Cayenne, only the Titanium Edition? That would suck, my fave color not avail on the new body.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:54 PM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pardon for ignorence, but what are the benefits of PASM? I talked to someone who owns a Turbo, and he says he cannot detect much ride quality difference with the different settings. If you don't tow, is there still a need for PASM?
Old 06-17-2006, 04:05 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

PASM is very usefull if you plan on towing with the Cayenne. It keeps the whole car level even if one axle is heavily loaded. When towing it will keep the front end planted on the ground giving much better handling than without PASM.

I would not sweat over having PASM if not towing.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:47 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
Lewis, Lewis, Lewis...
My conscious is clear.....
Old 06-17-2006, 09:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by racer_65
Pardon for ignorence, but what are the benefits of PASM? I talked to someone who owns a Turbo, and he says he cannot detect much ride quality difference with the different settings. If you don't tow, is there still a need for PASM?
PASM can compensate for lack of sidewall compliance/ride comfort when running 20" wheels/tires.
With 18" and 19" wheels/tires, there is sufficient sidewall compliance to not require PASM for ride comfort.

PASM is also useful for easier access (selecting loading height) for people and cargo....it will automatically switch to low setting when you start moving.

And finally, it's somewhat easier to wash a Cayenne in load height setting....although I never washed mine, so I can't confirm this firsthand.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:41 PM
426H
Advanced

Originally Posted by amaist
PASM is very usefull if you plan on towing with the Cayenne. It keeps the whole car level even if one axle is heavily loaded. When towing it will keep the front end planted on the ground giving much better handling than without PASM.

I would not sweat over having PASM if not towing.

Actually the steel suspension is frim enough to keep the truck (almost) level even when close to max tongue wheigt. PASM has no positive effects on handling at all, towing or not towing. It's only a comfort thing.

Good luck with your new truck, Im sure you will like it!

Last edited by 426H; 06-18-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:30 PM
ScottS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In terms of Air how does it differ from the Range Rover air- which I find annoying in my wifes RR HSE. She never waits for the thing to lower to get in and out..

2004 CS titanium
2002 c4S
Old 06-18-2006, 10:47 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

I don't know how the air works in the Range Rover but in the Cayenne it stays at the height selected when you stop. You can lower it to a loading height and it stays there until you move forward faster than 5 kph. It also lowers the truck about 30mm above ~75mph and another 10mm above ~98mph. It returns to the preset height below 25mph (preset can be either normal or the 30mm lower setting which is where I run mine 90% of the time). I disagree that the air doesn't effect handling compared to the steel suspension. I think the air suspension on Sport is tighter than the steel and on comfort it's smoother. It also makes towing easier and more stable. Best of both worlds IMHO, I wouldn't own a Pepper without PASM.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:58 PM
426H
Advanced

Originally Posted by mjw930
I think the air suspension on Sport is tighter than the steel and on comfort it's smoother. It also makes towing easier and more stable. Best of both worlds IMHO, I wouldn't own a Pepper without PASM.
Yes, the air suspension is more harsh than steel on Sport and smoother on comfort. However, the handling is better with steel suspension, even with air in sport mode. That was shown in several track tests back in 2002-2003 when the truck was new.

I agree there are several benefits with air, like a smoother ride on comfort and superior offroading ability. However, I haven't had any stability problems when towing, at least not with the tongue wheigt I have been using.

Quick Reply: Just put a deposit on a CS