Sponsored by:

Prodigy connection and 2006 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 11:50 AM
kbc993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prodigy connection and 2006 Cayenne

The work around for the 2003-2005 Cayenne does not work because Porsche has eliminated the secondary brake light switch on the 2006 model. Has anyone found a workable solution for the Prodigy brake signal?
Old 06-10-2006, 01:26 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Perhaps the brake signal on the connector is now consistant enough so you don't need a work around?
Old 06-10-2006, 07:09 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let me know what you find out please...
Old 06-10-2006, 07:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
Perhaps the brake signal on the connector is now consistant enough so you don't need a work around?
WTF does consistent enough mean?

I don't believe the original issue regarding compatability between the Prodigy and brake lights had anything to do with consistency. It consistently didn't work. Period.

The root cause was an incompatability between the Cayenne's integrated vehicle bulb diagnostic functionality/operation (for those students of Cayenne history, it is the same root cause of the "!" and trailer lighting...LED and/or incandescent) and the Prodigy's implementation of brake circuit continuity/diagnostics leading to a contention issue. IIRC, this was discussed back when JFScheck first installed a Prodigy....a search should yield the original posts/discussions on the topic.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:04 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
WTF does consistent enough mean?

I don't believe the original issue regarding compatability between the Prodigy and brake lights had anything to do with consistency. It consistently didn't work. Period.

The root cause was an incompatability between the Cayenne's integrated vehicle bulb diagnostic functionality/operation (for those students of Cayenne history, it is the same root cause of the "!" and trailer lighting...LED and/or incandescent) and the Prodigy's implementation of brake circuit continuity/diagnostics leading to a contention issue. IIRC, this was discussed back when JFScheck first installed a Prodigy....a search should yield the original posts/discussions on the topic.
You just can't resist attacking people can you.

What I meant by "consistent" was in reference to the following comment imbedded within the Prodigy installation tech note.

Note: When installing a Prodigy or Intella-Stop Ultra, connect the red wire (BrakeSignal) at the brake pedal switch (Black/Red) rather than at the brake control plug to avoid erratic display conditions.
I assume that there is a brake signal present on the connector but due to the reasons you posted it wasn't "consistent" enough to be used reliably.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to make a connector up that used the imbedded brake signal and see if it now mysteriously works. In the interim I suppose someone is going to have to figure out where else they can tap into the brake signal. It would suck if you had to run it all the way back to the tail light.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

You just can't resist attacking people can you.
You have a strange definition of 'attacking people'.

I assume that there is a brake signal present on the connector......
Don't assume.....how about trying a search. It's been documented many times before.

but due to the reasons you posted it wasn't "consistent" enough to be used reliably..
It can be used reliably.
It is very consistent and works everytime when not using a Prodigy.....there are other brake controllers out there.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to make a connector up that used the imbedded brake signal..
You mean like this:

Answer: Installing Trailer Brakes:
QTY: PARTS:
2 000979228
1 1J0972782
1 Brake Controller

Get the first two items from a Volkswagon Dealer; Porsche
does not carry the connectors or wires. You can get
the controller from your local trailer store or online from
ETRAILER.COM.

First, remove under tray panel under dash on driver side.
Find 20 torx in center of panel and remove it.

Drop panel down and look for a 4 prong square connector on left side of dash, hanging off of main harness. Might be wrapped with grey foam.

Install the ends of the wires 0009799228
in the 4 slots in the connector, part number 1J0972782.

CONNECTOR IN CAR: WIRE COLOR:

TERMINAL 1: BROWN
TERMINAL 2: RED Check fuse box right
F19, make sure it has a 30 AMP fuse in it.
TERMINAL 3: BLACK/ RED
TERMINAL 4: BLUE

WIRING TO CONTROLLER:

TERMINAL 1: GROUND
TERMINAL 2: B+ POWER ALL THE TIME
TERMINAL 3: STOP LIGHT
TERMINAL 4: TRAILER BRAKE

and see if it now mysteriously works. .
It has always worked.

In the interim I suppose someone is going to have to figure out where else they can tap into the brake signal..
No need to tap into the brake signal. It's there, on the 4 pin connector, just like every other tow vehicle on the planet.

It would suck if you had to run it all the way back to the tail light.
Yes, it would suck....and it wouldn't work.

Never mind, why do I even bother....it's like watching a one legged person try and kick themselves in the a@$
Old 06-10-2006, 11:44 PM
kbc993
Advanced

As ITC said the problem is with the bulb diagnostic system . The signal must be picked up before it reaches the diagnostic system. This would lead me to think that a virgin signal could be picked up from the brake boster or master cylinder.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:57 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yo Yo Yo

nuf

Old 06-11-2006, 12:26 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mudman2
Yo Yo Yo
nuf
Fine....back into the cage....but I do have one request......

Could I please have name brand rather than generic? Not really sure the generic is as good as the name brand
Old 06-11-2006, 09:32 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not you lewis, your info is fact, as most of us know. Instead of screaming, people need to check the number of posts already contributed by the writer and search for info prior to dis'sing him/her.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:51 AM
GM Austin
Pro

Not you lewis, your info is fact, as most of us know. Instead of screaming, people need to check the number of posts already contributed by the writer and search for info prior to dis'sing him/her.
GO MUDMAN!!!

The uninformed are always so pious!
Old 06-11-2006, 10:39 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Hold on a minute. I made a simple remark based on what I had read (didn't read ALL 144 posts on the subject, just the most recent references to a Prodigy install, so shame on me) and commented that perhaps the Cayenne's towing system had been changed to where the switch mod wouldn't be needed. I never screamed at him or dis'sed him an any way. Lewis decided to make a smart a** remark (WTF) to my simple one line comment to which I objected.

Obviously I missed the point about the Prodigy having it's own diagnostics system that was in conflict with the PAG diagnostics hence the incompatibility. What I read, based on the tech note direct from Prodigy, was "eratic" behaviour. To me that seemed to indicate an inconstant signal. I was mearly suggesting that POSSIBLY the signal was changed and would now work.

Since NO ONE has tried the Prodigy unit on an '06 wired directly to the connector no one REALLY knows what the result would be. Sure, we can make assumptions based on our experience but no one here knows what changed in the PAG system (something obviously did, they eliminated the brake switch).

All he had to say was, "The problem is a compatibility issue with the Prodigy, the brake signal from the connector works fine with standard analog controllers. I have no idea what changed in the Cayenne's system so I don't know how to install a Prodigy unit on an '06". Then again, it's not in Lewis' nature to say, "I don't know".
Old 06-11-2006, 12:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Since NO ONE has tried the Prodigy unit on an '06 wired directly to the connector no one REALLY knows what the result would be.
I do.

Sure, we can make assumptions based on our experience but no one here knows what changed in the PAG system (something obviously did, they eliminated the brake switch).
I do. BTW, there must still be a brake switch.....you just have to discover where it moved to.
On a side note, would you like to discuss 'our experience' with PAG?
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that I have a bit more experience with PAG than the average owner/individual......just a guess.

Then again, it's not in Lewis' nature to say, "I don't know".
Not true.
If asked a question for which I do not know the answer, I keep my mouth shut until I learn the answer.
If I do know the answer, then I will offer the solution to the problem as presented.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:44 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
I do.
Sorry, I missed that post where you installed a Prodigy on an '06.

Originally Posted by ltc
I do. BTW, there must still be a brake switch.....you just have to discover where it moved to.
You claim to have so much information about the '06 design, why don't you tell the original poster where it is so he can wire his controller?

Originally Posted by ltc
Not true.
If asked a question for which I do not know the answer, I keep my mouth shut until I learn the answer.
If I do know the answer, then I will offer the solution to the problem as presented.
Nice try at insulting me but I'm not biting. I never claimed to have the answer, I was simply posing another question.

I'm sorry if the question was asked and answered before but there's one thing you need to learn about internet forums. Information that isn't moved into an FAQ or a sticky thread will always be asked as time passes and new people enter the forums. To insult people that ask questions you feel have been answered too many times is uncalled for.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:20 PM
MomentumGuy
Instructor

I tried the Prodigy on my '06 - no luck. BTW, it is more than an "erratic display." The controller will actually pump the trailer brakes while you are trying to accelerate (I could have lived with it if it was just the display).

The brake switch wire you're looking for is now on the other side of the firewall. A tech at my dealer gave me a wiring diagram and verbal instructions on how to tap into the wire, but I neither have the mechanincal inclination or the desire to pull the car apart. I broke down and bought a Draw-Tite Activator II. It works, but I really would have liked to be able to use the Prodigy.

Also, there are other Tekonsha controllers out there, but they will most likely have the same issue.

Quick Reply: Prodigy connection and 2006 Cayenne