Sponsored by:

24 foot trailer too long/big?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 03:16 AM
944TURBOS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
I wouldnt do it. I had a 20' Featherlite with V-nose and I did not like the way it towed behind the Cayenne. Way to much sway for me. Also - VERY IMPORTANT - the MAXIMUM tongue weight for the Cayenne is 615 pounds. This means for a properly balanced trailer, you will only be able to safely tow a 6,150 pound trailer (10% tongue weight is the typically accepted % of total trailer weight for a properly set up tow). I had my GT3 and spares and misc. items in my 20' and the total weight was about 7200 pounds. When I shifted the load in the trailer to have 615pounds on the tongue, it swayed too much for my comfort level.
I now use a enclosed Trailex. It is 1800 pounds empty and looks awesome. But it was pricey!

GT3 nut is absolutely correct. We have been searching around for towing options for the cayenne because I am selling my Silverado and we have to tow with the pepper now. The issue at hand is not really the weight of the trailer, with a weight distribution kit (VERY NECCESSARY) you can forget about the car having an issue towing it. The problem becomes the stablitly of the actual trailer at highway speeds. With much bigger than a 20 foot traier you are starting to have the "tail wag the dog" and that is no fun when it comes to a quick manuver. I know people have towed 24' trailers with cayennes but it has to be one hell of a light trailer and one where the tongue weight, and overall distribution of the weight is done right. Make sure you get a brake controller installed and drive careful. GT3Nut has obviously exprienced it so I would go with what he says. I will actually PM you GT3Nut and get some info on your trailer because we are in the market for something similar.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:40 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is not true - you can have 7,500 pounds in the trailer - that weight distrubted on the trailers rear axels and only have 590 lbs tounge weight as using a scale made to measure such weight.

It's all about distrubtion - I towed that amount in a 22 foot trailer to Florida and back with just an S with no problems!
Old 06-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I towed my car to Tremblant 3 weeks ago inside one of our 28' enclosed trailers. At about 110-115km/h (65mph or so) it began to sway. On the way back I backed it in. Solid as a rock. The d-rings in the trailer were not located in the right spots to tow a 911 so I had to move the car further rearward than I would have liked. I got sway. I have some new tie down straps to play with now so we'll see how things go next week.

Weight is one thing. Tongue weight is a whole other animal. Tongue weight is your friend. 8-12% is what you are looking for to keep the trailer from swaying.

Quick Reply: 24 foot trailer too long/big?