Sponsored by:

Anyone use Toyo Proxes S/T tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 03:58 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Anyone use Toyo Proxes S/T tires

The '04 CTT that I'm in the process of acquiring has 19" Toyo's recently installed by the dealership (not Porsche Dealer) and I'm pushing them hard to return them under Toyo's 45 day satisfaction guarantee for a set of Michelin's.

If it turns out they can't find a set of proper Michelin's and I end up with the Toyo's (because I'm impatient and want to pick it up Wednesday and it's 500 miles away) what would you expect I could get for a set of 19" Cayenne Design wheels with Toyo all season tires (proper 108Y rating) with 500-1000 miles on them? (would probably upgrade to 20" Sport Techno's or OZ Canyons)
Old 05-15-2006, 04:34 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

The dealer will probably offer you about $1000 - $1200 for the set toward the Technos.

That would leave you with out of pocket about $3300 - $3500 for the Technos.

Otherwise, you could ebay them and see where it goes, deal with shipping..... yada.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:27 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

The tire dealer that installed the Toyo's called back and I can "upgrade" to the Michelin's for another $493 What they are saying is the 19" Michelin's are $120 more PER TIRE than the Toyos..... Well, I suppose that's right if you buy the Toyo's at wholesale and pay retail for the Michelin's.

I think I'll keep the Toyo's and sell them as a package when I get home after I decide on the 20's I want (between the Sport Techno's and the OZ Canyons).

Anybody running the replica Sport Technos?
Old 05-15-2006, 10:35 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott C
The dealer will probably offer you about $1000 - $1200 for the set toward the Technos.

That would leave you with out of pocket about $3300 - $3500 for the Technos.

Otherwise, you could ebay them and see where it goes, deal with shipping..... yada.
Actually I can get the Techno's from Wheel Enhancement for $3000 ($3250 if I want the 10" rears). These are brand new Porsche rims, not replicas. Of course they only offered me $400 trade for the 19's and they have no use for the tires.

I'll probably put the 19's with the Toyo's up here and on ebay. They would make a nice upgrade for someone with the S or V6 with 17" or 18" wheels. The all season nature of the tire would also be more appealing to someone up north.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:34 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my 19's "Pirelli's" with the Michelin Diamaris and WOW - the Michilins are great! Low road noise, great handling and zeoroed out well on the force balance machine.

For the Cayenne - Diamaris are the way to go!

Toyo's - aren't they for "Ricers"? (It's a joke - just kidding guys - don't take it so serisouly)...
Old 05-16-2006, 03:51 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JFScheck
I replaced my 19's "Pirelli's" with the Michelin Diamaris and WOW - the Michilins are great! Low road noise, great handling and zeoroed out well on the force balance machine.

For the Cayenne - Diamaris are the way to go!

Toyo's - aren't they for "Ricers"? (It's a joke - just kidding guys - don't take it so serisouly)...
Old 05-16-2006, 09:42 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my 19's "Pirelli's" with the Michelin Diamaris and WOW - the Michilins are great! Low road noise, great handling and zeoroed out well on the force balance machine. For the Cayenne - Diamaris are the way to go! Toyo's - aren't they for "Ricers"? (It's a joke - just kidding guys - don't take it so serisouly)...
I've not had Toyos.. but I think it is wise to stick with N spec. tires just in case something ever happens and you want to come back at PAG. Here's my history with tires at 65K miles:
1. Original Bridestone Touranzas - 20K (bald) and vibration/shimmy throughout life
2. Continental 4 x 4 (dealer rec.) - 16K bad wear and vibration/shimmy throughout life
3. Michelin Diamaris (RF<10) AWESOME no vibration/shimmy from day one and now have nearly 30K miles on two and still no vibration or road noise (one has 10K one has 1K because of flats and my tire replacement warranty - best buy on vehicle).

FYI, Michelin also has a trademarked method of manufacturing their tires. Instead of assembly of quarter tires.. they manf. in 1/2 and bring it together with the assembly point being the middle of the tire around the diameter.... other manf. assemble in 1/4 by having an assemble point running across the tread.. this is why michelins are smoother riding and have less "feel" through the steering wheel. The patent may have run out however as I've heard different stories as to whether or not Michelin still is the only company manf. that way.. although to re-tool a plant would be pretty expensive. You can read more about it by googling "road force" and/or on the Michelin site. One thing that the FRENCH do right is tires! Okay, maybe wine, too. but that's about it!
Old 05-16-2006, 10:44 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Madfox,

I tend to agree with your assessment but I couldn't see dropping another $500 on a set of 19" Michelin's when I know I'll be bumping up to 20" rims soon. If I get a fair price for the 19" rims alone then the tires mounted on them are irrelevant. If these tires allow me to get another $200 for the set of rims then I'm $200 closer to my 20" wheels and tires.

BTW, I talked to someone who has the Toyo's on their Treg and they love them. Head and shoulders above the Conti's but that doesn't take much
Old 05-16-2006, 01:47 PM
jase700
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm actually moving to my second set of Toyo's now... I've actually liked them. great traction in inclement weather, not terribly noisy and they look great.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:12 PM
TimC.
Racer

Originally Posted by jase700
i'm actually moving to my second set of Toyo's now... I've actually liked them. great traction in inclement weather, not terribly noisy and they look great.
I have brand new 275/40R20 106W Toyo Proxes S/T and I love the ride!!! I also have air suspension so I can play with the feel I want.
The 20" OEM Diamaris were nice, but I barely got 10k miles out of them WTF!! The cheapest I could find replacements was $1600 using tire rack. It all comes down to the tread wear rating. The Michelins are Treadwear 220 and the Toyo's are Treadwear 420

Even the Michelin site ranks the tread wear at 6 out of 10
http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/t...etype=5&tire=4
If you go to all the tire sites and read the reviews....everyone is pissed at how fast the Michelins wear out. We did a calculation on this board and found that you will pay .20 cents per mile for rubber LOL Especially on the Turbo. The Toyo's get rave reviews for wear.

How is this for a review !! 191 mph on Toyo's
"Toyo Tires Porsche Breaks World Speed Record"
http://www.toyo.com/news/news_details.cfm?id=107

Also:
Toyo Tires has been voted #1 in product quality for 8 years running in the annual Tire Review magazine survey of independent tire dealers - passenger/light truck segment. For a reprint of survey highlights, call 877-299-8696.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:16 PM
TimC.
Racer

I thought the same thing !! Until I put them on. They really look more pissed off and mean looking .....rather than cheap ricer crap. I am going to be posting a new thread with pics tomorrow.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:38 PM
356driver
Racer

I have 20" Toyo's and no complaints. They ride softer and quieter than the OEM Continentals I had before. For my style of driving they handle equally well.

I'm sure there would be some point at which a stickier N rated tire would outperform the Toyo's, but I don't go there. Same with the lower (150 mph) speed rating.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:10 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I believe the Sportec Cayenne TT acheived their top speed runs on Toyo S/T's.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:47 PM
TimC.
Racer

Originally Posted by adsc4s
I believe the Sportec Cayenne TT acheived their top speed runs on Toyo S/T's.
Please read the post above:

How is this for a review !! 191 mph on Toyo's
"Toyo Tires Porsche Breaks World Speed Record"
http://www.toyo.com/news/news_details.cfm?id=107
Old 05-20-2006, 03:16 AM
JoJocayenneturbo
Intermediate

I've been reading the post and I'm not sure if your interested, but I have my wheels and tires that came on my CTT. They are Sport Design wheels with Continental tires. Three wheels have curb rash, one is fine. Tires have some tread left. I'll sell them for 2k.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Anyone use Toyo Proxes S/T tires