Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious question for the CS gurus.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 07:03 PM
Sasquatch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious question for the CS gurus.

My father and I would both like to purchase a CS next year. I am currently an avid Porsche owner with two in the garage and looking at trading my BMW 7 in on something that can tow a trailer. Dad is a Ferrari guy, but I dont hold it against him.

Here is our problem. We both want to modify our CS's to be able to flat tow it behind our motorhomes. Officially, Porsche tells us to pound sand, but since when have we ever listened to the rules? We are both highly skilled mechanics, machinists and car nuts that also happen to be mechanical engineers. To us, there has to be a way.

But, before we start tearing into things, I was wondering if someone else has figured it out already? Is there any way to get the transfer case to lock in a "neutral" so it wont spin the transmission while being towed? Or is there other options we have not considered yet?
Old 05-08-2006, 08:13 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have seen this question before, I think ML has a freewheel mode as does a small Honda. I think the answer was an absolute no. Wingless do you recall this with your enlarged cranium.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Sasquatch
Instructor

Mark my words.... as two machinists, mechanics and mechanical engineers... it will be done...

I was just hoping someone else was already working on it and could give us a head start...
Old 05-09-2006, 11:43 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Understand but they dont let the dealers do much with those trannys, not sure opening one up will be cost effective, I would get a trailer.

EE's just don't trust ME's I suppose

Old 05-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Sasquatch
Instructor

True. I work for my father and together we run an engineering company that designs computer systems for high end motorhomes. We have 2 EEs and 3 Software engineers. My father and I are both MEs. Now the fun part. He and I are avid car nuts and both have been racing since we were kids. We have a full machine shop here just to feed our addiction. So between our employees and us, we ought to make something work.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:48 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

While my cranium may be enlarged, it still fits through a doorway.

The correct answer is indeed, no.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:01 PM
codey
3rd Gear

Wouldn't the cost/time of modifying the cayenne be somewhere close to that of a trailer to pull the Cayenne?

Why not buy a trailer?
Old 05-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Sasquatch
Instructor

I own a trailer. They are a pain in the butt to deal with. When you pull into an RV park, you have to unload the trailer, then find a place to park the trailer, then you can go and park your coach. Some RV parks have no trialer parking making you pay for two spaces. It takes me less than 2 minutes to unhook and have our current SUV ready to drive, and no trailers to mess with.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:56 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I see your problem, good luck, I am not sure how you will end up.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can figure out a simple way to disconnect driveshafts you will have it licked. Of course, if you have to get under the car everytime, the trailer starts looking less problematic. I gave up trying to flat tow, first with my MB G-wagen and now with the Cayenne. I break down and trailer the thing.

I bet if you had a Cayenne V6 with a manual trans you could to do it. Or put all those brains together and convert a couple CS's to manauls
Old 05-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Sasquatch
Instructor

Along those thoughts of driveshaft de-coupling... RemCo makes driveshaft couplers for this exact purpose. Dad had one on his last Explorer. It had a remote cable into the cab for disconnecting. Maybe I can adapt those systems with a small electric servo to be remotly controlled......
Old 05-10-2006, 07:39 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Please keep us informed!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Sasquatch
Instructor

Will do. Of course, then I need to buy a Cayenne... Just waiting for the 04-05 model years to depreciate enough for my pocketbook. They are sitting in the low 40's right now. Once they hit the low 30's high 20's I'm in. I'll let you "rich" folk take the big hit on depreciation...... (yes, I am just giving you guys a hard time)
Old 05-12-2006, 08:00 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

I've always wondered this when I see nice cars being towed - doesn't that wear out good tyres? Wouldn't it be cheaper to wear out cheap'n'nasty trailer tyres instead?
Old 05-14-2006, 10:54 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Good point NNH. My CS doesn't have a hitch (don't need to tow things).

Quick Reply: Serious question for the CS gurus.