Sponsored by:

Stinky Aircon

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Chris Price
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stinky Aircon

Having a problem with the airconditioning on my "S".

With airconditioning on I was getting a strong musty smell. Think swampy socks. Note, if the airconditioning is turned off the smell clears within 15 secs or so, so definitely I have something lurking in the aircon.

I initially took it to dealer where the tech sprayed what I'm guessing is Lysol into the system, but the smell reappeared after a week or so. Second visit to the dealer he sprayed an "ioniser" into the system which definitely helped - now the smell just appears on first starting the car and quickly goes away, with occasional short-lived gust of it while driving. Better, but still there.

I can go back to the dealer, but they are out of ideas short of trying the "ioniser" again. I'm worried the smell will gradually "grow" back.

Anyone else had this problem?

Any ideas e.g. airconditioning filters to change? or why the start-up "gust" lives on?

I know of products like Wurth Aircon Spray but can anyone give me some help with where I would find the "vents and returns". Obviously the vents are easy, but location of the air returns? under seats? Is there more direct access to the airconditioning filter - for some reason I recall this may be under passenger side of the dash?

This has been nagging at me for a while - any help appreciated!
Old 05-08-2006, 11:29 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did you do a search on the forum? This sure does sound like something we might have discussed a year 0r two back...

You could always hang 20-40 of those rear-view air fresheners from your rear view mirror...
Old 05-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Chris Price
Track Day

Thanks for the suggestion John but not sure I want the NYC cab aroma

I did a search a few weeks back but didn't come up with anything useful - particularly some help locating access to the aircon system / returns / evaporator if I wanted to DIY some cleaning agent.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:56 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yea - I did a quick search and didn't see anything either - but I could have sworn someone else had this same problem...

Help guys!!!!
Old 05-08-2006, 06:55 PM
phaedrus242
Instructor

I've had a number of these com in recently like this. The proper method to deal with this is first to remove the particle filter. It should probably be changed if there is a smell. With it removed, the evaporator needs to be sprayed down with a ventilation duct clearner. This thing should get saturated to be most effective. Then the duct work should be heavily sprayed from the air inlet (filter still removed) and the system should be run on high with the temperature cranked to high and all the vents utilized. Continue to spray down the system for a couple of minutes and the smell should subside. Reinstall in the filter (preferabley a new one) and the smell should be much better and will continue to improve over the next few days.
Cheers
Old 05-08-2006, 07:01 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

phaedrus242-does not sound like a DIY type job! I had taken my 05 in about 6 weeks ago for the dealer to check out. I had noticed the problem a couple of times when I switched to AC from econo and complained. They could not find anything.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:27 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phaedrus242
I've had a number of these com in recently like this. The proper method to deal with this is first to remove the particle filter. It should probably be changed if there is a smell. With it removed, the evaporator needs to be sprayed down with a ventilation duct clearner. This thing should get saturated to be most effective. Then the duct work should be heavily sprayed from the air inlet (filter still removed) and the system should be run on high with the temperature cranked to high and all the vents utilized. Continue to spray down the system for a couple of minutes and the smell should subside. Reinstall in the filter (preferabley a new one) and the smell should be much better and will continue to improve over the next few days.
Cheers
This is what we did early on with mine. In addition, they say do not use the recirculate mode for several days to get fresh less humid air.. this will "dry" it out some in addition to the filters, etc. Good Luck.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:01 PM
356driver
Racer

Originally Posted by phaedrus242
I've had a number of these com in recently like this. The proper method to deal with this is first to remove the particle filter. It should probably be changed if there is a smell. ...
This is an easy DIY. Crawl under the passenger side dash, remove a couple of screws and the plastic cover drops down to reveal the particle filter. The advantage of doing it yourself is you will be able to see if the filter is fouled or if the smell is coming from somewhere else. And you won't be wondering if the service tech missed something (not all of them are as thorough as Phaedrus242).
Old 05-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Chris Price
Track Day

Phaedrus and 356Driver: Thanks, especially for Phaedrus' detail in the procedure. 356Driver are the relevant screws obvious under passenger side?

Now I can request my tech to have another go on Porsche warranty dime - if this doesn't work I can always use a can of the Wurth myself.

Glad (sort of) to hear I'm not the only one ..............
Old 05-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Chris Price
Track Day

Update, one quick trip to the garage and some contortions in the passenger footwell later.

The access panel in the passenger footwell is indeed easy to remove - run a hand down the center of the glovebox and in the middle, where it meets the kick-panel, is one torx (T20) screw. Undo this and the panel will ease off - held in place by two locating tabs at the rear (firewall) side and two bent-metal / spring type tabs at the front, upper end - one at each side. The filter housing has (in my case) a Delphi label. Two hex bolts hold a cap up to the bottom of this - take them off and the cap drops off to reveal the particle filter.

Some questions (Phaderus?)

- the filter was grungy but eveything in there seemed fairly clean smelling - guess this means my problem lurks within the plumbing somewhere?

- the filter backs onto what looks like a radiator with metal fins - is this the evaporator?

- does water (from the evaporator) flow out the bottom of the box through the rubber tube which passes through the firewall?

These questions mostly for my curiosity ..........

Again, thanks for the replys and help
Old 05-09-2006, 01:34 AM
356driver
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris Price
356Driver are the relevant screws obvious under passenger side?
If I remember correctly there is only one phillips screw in the middle, tucked in next to the bottom of the glove comparment door. Once you take the screw out, the rearward part of the cover hinges down. It is suspended on the front by plastic hooks that disengage once you lower the rearward part.

To be honest I forget exactly how I got to the particle filter. I had a new filter to look at so the filter cover was pretty obvious by its dimensions. I am pretty sure it was right on the bottom of everything. It was very accessible and easy to remove.

The whole thing is a ten minute job at most - go for it.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:46 PM
eugkim
Rennlist Member

Had the same problem - the dealer checked the particle filter, then sprayed some air conditioning cleaner that kills mildew. They told me there may have been moisture trapped in the system. Haven't smelled anything bad since.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:12 PM
oproulx
Advanced

Sorry for the slight OT, but I saw this car yesterday while driving in Montreal...
Owner had an air-con problem on a 98 Taurus and says it has caused him health problems
www.fordlemon.com
Old 05-12-2006, 01:32 PM
phaedrus242
Instructor

The main reason for replacing that filter is that, while it may not be caked in dust, some of whatever is making the a/c smell bad is trapped in it. From my experiences, whatever this is is not visable.

That radiator lookin' thing is the evaporator. I've been using Interdynamic's "Pure Air" sanitizer with some success. These seem to be coming in a little more frequently, so I've also taken to installing an ozone generator in the vehicle overnight (think "ionic breeze" on steroids) and letting it run. There is a little bit of a xerox odor the next morning but it clears out fairly quickly. I definitley agree with avoiding recirc mode. If I get any new procedures on this, I'll make sure to keep you updated.
Cheers
Old 05-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Chris Price
Track Day

Phaedrus

Thanks for the info and update - I'll check out the "Pure Air". FWIW I use automatic recirc as default, so that may contribute to my issue even though most of the time this should not be in recirc mode (?) I'll switch this off.

Quick Reply: Stinky Aircon