Sponsored by:

rear bumper removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 02:37 AM
Willy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear bumper removal

hi all, any body have instructions on how to remove the rear bumper on the Cayenne? trying to remove the whole thing so i can repair a dent on the stainless steel plate.

many thanks!
Old 05-05-2006, 01:05 PM
356driver
Racer

I assume you are talking about the plastic shroud around the rear bumper. I have some printed instructions and could scan them and send them to you. It may take a day or two. How soon do you need them?
Old 05-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Willy
Intermediate

thanks! what ever you have is great, i just don't like guess working my way to take out the bumper... seems like the engineers at porshe did a good job of hiding everything.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:04 PM
356driver
Racer

OK. I'll try to get the documents scanned and sent to you via PM asa soon as possible. I have a pretty full day tomorrow (Orange County PCA breakfast in the morning, running my kid to Boy Scout camp in the afternoon). If you don't see it tonight it will be late tomorrow.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:49 PM
356driver
Racer

I can't believe I did this but I must have tossed the directions. In any case I had to remove the rear bumper yesterday, so here is how you do it. Instead of IM'ing you I am posting this so others might benefit.

You will need: A set of torx screwdrivers, a set of torx sockets, and a hex wrench for the tail lights. Also, make sure you have a friend available to help you lift the shroud on and off the car.

Note: All locations and references to front, back, etc. are in relationship to the front or back of the car.

Note: The plastic skin surrounding the bumper is referred to as the shroud. The black plastic skin on the inside of the wheel well is referred to as the liner.

1. Start by removing the tail lights (refer to owners manual). Pry off the two round black covers on the inside of the rear hatch next to the tail light. Remove the hex bolts. With a leather covered screwdriver or some other padded tool, pry the tail light out of the ball and socket snap. This takes an unusual amount of force so be careful. Unplug the electrical harness and put the tail light units in a safe place.

2. Remove the two torx screws from the inside of each tail light cavity. One is on the front surface, the other is on the bottom-rear of the cavity.

3. Remove the torx screws on the perimeter of the wheel well starting from the top and working your way rearward. Don't overlook the screw at the very bottom inside - you have to lay on your back to find it. Also remove the torx screw on the inside of the wheel well liner - reach in past the tire, above and to the rear of the tire at about 2 o'clock.

4. Pull wheel well lining down past the lip of the bumper shroud. You should be able to pull the shroud outward to get the wheel well lining past the lip. You need to do this for the next step.

5. There is a hidden torx screw inside of the top of the wheel well liner that holds the very front corner of the bumper shroud in place. As best you can, grab the liner and pull it downward. You should be able to slip your finger inside the top of the liner, up and rearward, and feel around until you find it. To unscrew it you need to slip a #25 torx driver pointed at a 30 degree angle rearward in the gap between the pulled down liner and the shroud. It's a little tricky but not has hard as it sounds.

6. Finally, lay on your back underneath the rear of the bumper shroud and undo the four #27 torx machine screws, two on each side. They have wide round heads.

7. At this point the whole shroud should be loose. It would be a good idea to get a friend for the next steps.

8. Lay out a large drop cloth or some other soft surface. Your driveway or garage floor will scratch the paint so you need a place to put the shroud that won't leave scratches.

9. Stand on one rear corner and have your friend on the other rear corner of the shroud. With one hand beneath the rear corner of the shroud and the other grabbing the edge by the wheel wells, gently pull backwards. You may have to wiggle it a little bit to get it to disengage from some tabs on top of the bumper. The shroud will slide backwards 1-2 inches off three internal slides located on the upper front corners (above and to the rear of the wheel wells). When it comes loose be ready hold it off the ground. It's not heavy but it's flexible and awkward.

10. If you have park assist there is a harness on the left (driver's) side that needs to be disconnected. Once you have done this, carry the shroud to the drop cloth and gently lay it down.

To get everything back on, just follow the steps in reverse. There is one exception - when you remount the shroud on its slide mounts it really doesn't stay very well. You may want to start with the torx screws in the tail light cavity (#2 above) because they are easy to reach while you are holding the shroud in place. While sliding the shroud into place, pay attention to the slots at the bottom of each light cavity, and the slot above the bumper, where the top edges of the shroud should go. Also don't forget to reconnect the park assist cable if you disconnected it in #10.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 05-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Willy
Intermediate

Thank you 356 driver, i'll try this on the weekend.

Quick Reply: rear bumper removal