Sponsored by:

Nav ETA Is Substantially Off

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 11:34 PM
rbaron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nav ETA Is Substantially Off

2004 CS with CD Nav. I've noticed on two road trips of ~100 miles over the last week that when I program in the destination the device shows a time of arrival that is off between +30 minutes and +1 hour from what it should be given the distance to be traveled, and there is little or no correction en route....in other words, I arrive well before I am supposed to.

It's been so long since I've had the car on the highway &/or used this feature that I can't really remember if this is something new, but I think it is.

Can anyone think of a setting I am missing or a reason for this behavior?

Thanks,

--Bob
Old 04-12-2006, 09:59 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Absolutely 100% correct. On longer trips it will cycle closer to the time. I still haven't figured out why it is so "off" in almost 3 years and nearly 64,000 miles. If some know why... let us know.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:21 AM
GM Austin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my experience it has been the speed value assigned to the part of your route that is not on a limited access highway (freeway/Interstate). These roads may allow you to travel just as fast as on the Interstate but the navigation system is assuming you can only travel about 35-45 mph. Many other navigation systems allow you to adjust this to your actual average speed but the PCM does not.

This also plays havoc with the route planning. If you set the route planner to the fastest route, it will sometimes send you 100 miles out of the way just to get on the Interstate, since it assumes you can only go 35-45 mph on regular highways but can travel 70 mph on the Interstate. Of course you can get around this by selecting the "shortest" route, but then the program will send you through residential neighborhoods as it plots the "shortest" route.

The PCM navigator is not the best. There are many better systems out there. But, this one is built-in and looks cool so I'm in no mood to replace it. But still ...
Old 04-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Zin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rbaron
2004 CS with CD Nav. I've noticed on two road trips of ~100 miles over the last week that when I program in the destination the device shows a time of arrival that is off between +30 minutes and +1 hour from what it should be given the distance to be traveled, and there is little or no correction en route....in other words, I arrive well before I am supposed to.

It's been so long since I've had the car on the highway &/or used this feature that I can't really remember if this is something new, but I think it is.

Can anyone think of a setting I am missing or a reason for this behavior?

Thanks,

--Bob
I thgought it was because of my bad behavior....speeding . I guess that does correlate with the others explanations.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:55 AM
rbaron
Racer

Gosh, I had a '92 BMW 735 that had a 'trip computer' where you could punch in the number of miles to be traveled and it would continuously (every two or three minutes iirc) update the ETA, based upon your average speed to the point of re-calculation. Twelve years later and.......??

Thanks for responding.

I like the CS a lot but it does have its strange components.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find that mine gives a pretty conservative estimate of ETA when the data is first plugged in, but it does seem to make adjustments enroute to account for actual progress and the ETA gets moved up accordingly.

Quick Reply: Nav ETA Is Substantially Off