Sponsored by:

Cost of 1 Year Service

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 02:27 PM
hamiam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of 1 Year Service

I purchased my CS in late Jan/early Feb of 2005. Currently have about 13k miles. Car does not have service light on but the dealer advised me to come in after a year regardless. I live in NYC so I have my choice of dealers from the one in Manhattan to several in NY state, CT, NJ, etc. Any idea what the cost of this service should be, what it involves, etc. Thanks for your help. Also, it looks like I will be needing tires. I take it it is NOT necessary to buy them from the dealer, correct? Any suggestions for a tire place in the tri-state area would also be appreciated.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:58 PM
TimC.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hamiam
I purchased my CS in late Jan/early Feb of 2005. Currently have about 13k miles. Car does not have service light on but the dealer advised me to come in after a year regardless. I live in NYC so I have my choice of dealers from the one in Manhattan to several in NY state, CT, NJ, etc. Any idea what the cost of this service should be, what it involves, etc. Thanks for your help. Also, it looks like I will be needing tires. I take it it is NOT necessary to buy them from the dealer, correct? Any suggestions for a tire place in the tri-state area would also be appreciated.
I'm in the same boat...just made a service appointment for next Friday at Ray Catena in Edison, NJ. They want to charge $275 for the oil change (I am close to the 20k mile service) this is actually a pretty good quote compared to some other I checked which were as high as $500
Here is the service website with the phone number
http://ray-catena.porschedealer.com/service/index.php

As far as the tires go, I bought mine on TireRack had them shipped to STS Tire near my house and they do the install. I have done this with all my Boxster tires and even my Cayenne Winter set....A1 job these guys know what they are doing !!
http://www.tirerack.com

Hope this helps
Old 02-23-2006, 03:10 PM
hamiam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$500 for an oil change is just insulting, sorry. Is that all the first service is? an oil change...
Old 02-23-2006, 04:21 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hamiam
I live in NYC so I have my choice of dealers from the one in Manhattan to several in NY state, CT, NJ
I'm in NY as well and when I was shopping around for Nav/Sat installation
Manhattan dealership gave me insane prices for parts & labor. Try calling Pepe Porsche in White Plains. I'd highly recommend a PA dealership (Brandywine) if you don't mind a 1.5 hr drive :-).
Old 02-23-2006, 07:00 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Often times, a service event includes more than an oil change, and it is charged accordingly. Perhaps, they want to balance and rotate your tires, or do a gazillion item safety check. Best bet is to look at the service manual, and ask the dealer what he charges for just that -- what's actually required by the manufacturer. Oil changes in the SF Bay Area are $130 (parts and labor) as it's competitive here with 3 dealers within a 20 mile radius. In fact, it's so competitive that a couple of dealers sent me their reduced price schedules, and they include most needed services at really good prices.

Just this morning, I took my wifes E500 in for service -- it's free, but the service advisor recommended an alignment for $169, because he recommends it be done about every 2 years. However, this vehicle drives straight, and the tires are wearing evenly, so I took a pass on that one. Besides, having it done opens me up to potential other problems if they screw it up.

Of course, there's always the option of changing the oil yourself. I've done it, and it's time consuming, but if you have a couple of hours and the right tools, it's not too bad. For $130, it's worth have someone else do it.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:40 PM
Davidoconn
Advanced

Since you live in Manhattan it is a quick trip to Jack Daniels in Fairlawn. The service department is excellent, Anthony is the manager there and I am sure he will take good care of you. They have the very best tech in the business, Walter, and no I do not work for the dealer but they have treated me very well.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:49 PM
BaysideC4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pepe Porrsche in White Plains charged around $500 for the first service. Dont forget that includes new wiper blades that will set you back nearly $100 retail. As I recall they had a very high hourly rate.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:47 AM
TimC.
Racer

Originally Posted by Davidoconn
Since you live in Manhattan it is a quick trip to Jack Daniels in Fairlawn. The service department is excellent, Anthony is the manager there and I am sure he will take good care of you. They have the very best tech in the business, Walter, and no I do not work for the dealer but they have treated me very well.
Ditto on these guys as well !! I have serviced the boxster and Cayenne here when I lived closer to them....great team. I loved the night drop, leave the car and drop the keys and then the next day they service your car and lock your keys in the car in the lot for a late pickup...perfect for those who can't hang out all day.
I am using Ray Catena for the first time this time (father in law raves about them) and will post my experience. They just built an amazing serivces center and apparently they have a virtual driving range, Wireless Lan, coffe bar and lounge. They even offered to drive me home if I wanted to not wait....

Quick Reply: Cost of 1 Year Service