Old 02-17-2006, 10:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Tom,
You may have a fig leaf......

You said the 5 day battery problem has existed for a while, at least a few times under warranty, so the issue was originally identified and repair attempts made under warranty (unsuccessfully).

Your dealer SHOULD be able to get PCNA to pay for this repair that that reason, combined with being just over 50K.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:06 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
Tom, You may have a fig leaf......
I had one (it's late, I've had so many can't remember what it was, will post tomorrow) and they rolled it over..

Originally Posted by ltc
You said the 5 day battery problem has existed for a while, at least a few times under warranty, so the issue was originally identified and repair attempts made under warranty (unsuccessfully).
Documented unsuccessful repair will extend the warranty on that ONE issue.

Originally Posted by ltc
Your dealer SHOULD be able to get PCNA to pay for this repair that that reason, combined with being just over 50K.
Tom, If they don't, PM me and I'll share another method. Remember. It is a known problem and they didn't fix it. Use the L word and move to another dealer OR if not possible go see the GM and be nice but FIRM that he will fix it.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:21 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

write a scathing letter over the poor service at the dealer to porsche
Old 02-18-2006, 08:27 PM
lgh
Cruisin'

Tom,

Out of curiousity, what dealer did you take it to? I bought my CS from Reeves in Tampa.

Greg
Old 02-18-2006, 08:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MadFox
.....Use the L word and move to another dealer OR if not possible go see the GM and be nice but FIRM that he will fix it.
Use the L word

As in 'Lewis'

Oh yeah, THAT will get a rise out of good old PCNA Legal.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:21 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

car was bought at Reeves and is going in tomorrow.

thanks all

tom
Old 02-19-2006, 03:36 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Please report on the problem resolution.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:52 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wingless
Please report on the problem resolution.
I concur with Lewis. If you had the document with the complaint with the mileage listed pre 50K, you have a good shot at having PCNA cover the fix. If not - have them repair it, then sue them in small claims and win the cost of repair.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:38 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Torags
I concur with Lewis.

Originally Posted by Torags
If you had the document with the complaint with the mileage listed pre 50K, you have a good shot at having PCNA cover the fix. If not - have them repair it, then sue them in small claims and win the cost of repair.
I'd be willing to bet Tom won't have to go to that level; this seems pretty straightforward....besides, that would take quite a while, given the current backlog in the courts, not to mention time away from work preparing, etc.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:49 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Will let you guys know, thanks for all the input!!
Old 02-21-2006, 02:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Tom,
Not sure this applies to you, but just in case
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2006, 12:00 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

OK, dealer looked for all that stuff you guys asked me to have them look for. They said nothing was wrong electrically but one of the cells in the battery was kinda bad. Battery is over $300 so I decided to replace it "next" time.
I guess that was the problem?!? Lewis??
Old 02-22-2006, 01:24 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
OK, dealer looked for all that stuff you guys asked me to have them look for. They said nothing was wrong electrically but one of the cells in the battery was kinda bad. Battery is over $300 so I decided to replace it "next" time. I guess that was the problem?!? Lewis??
Hmmm, maybe just a plain old battery having a 50K death.. any unusally high loads? Like a trailer shorting out the system with lots of lights? wait.. that's silly.. how about a DVD player plugged in the lighter or outlet for hours while at the beach???? Here's a crazy idea.. what about an iPod???.. wait check that iPod integration isn't until 2007... er, how about 6 CD's replaying all night under the stars watching the sun rise with the back hatch open and the light on whilest you spoon with your spouse? ------ Wait you're not a honeymooner!@!

Still suspicious however, maybe it was something so simple as a bad battery.... NAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH that's too easy for a Cayenne!
Old 02-22-2006, 10:14 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
OK, dealer looked for all that stuff you guys asked me to have them look for. They said nothing was wrong electrically but one of the cells in the battery was kinda bad. Battery is over $300 so I decided to replace it "next" time.
I guess that was the problem?!? Lewis??
Tom,
I suppose it depends on how much faith/trust you have in your dealer's service department.

Batteries are fascinating electrochemical devices (I was a chemical engineering student before I got bored and wandered into electronics...then got bored with electronics....); it is not unreasonable for the battery to develop non recoverable issues once it is allowed to completely discharge. That is why I posted the TSB.
Batteries also do have a finite life, but this seems a bit short, especially given your climate

The simplest thing to do is to have the dealer order you a new OEM battery.
If the 5 day problem persists and the battery dies, then the dealer is obligated to:
1. fix the original problem...should be covered by PCNA as it was reported under warranty and never resolved.
2. replace the battery, since it was allowed to discharge....or at the very least recharge and loadtest the battery to verify capacity.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:17 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Batteries are fascinating electrochemical devices (I was a chemical engineering student before I got bored and wandered into electronics...then got bored with electronics)
Hey me too!! I was a chemical engineering student until I met my future wife got mono and had to drop a few courses in chem.e. one semester in the sequence and had to graduate on time or become a "swabbie" vs. a "flyboy" in the navy... uhhhhh, yeah, I changed to general engineering!!

For what is worth.... back on topic. I am now within just a few miles of 60K and am on the original battery. No issues to date and I definitely run the battery down a lot with my CD player while sitting in it waiting on non-driving teen to finish sport practices, etc. I would think that 50 or 60K miles is actually pretty good for a battery given the electrical loads placed on it..... never mind total electrical failures for some folks we know

Quick Reply: Battery dies in 5 days, why?