Poor customer service experience with FVD USA

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 12:47 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Poor customer service experience with FVD USA

Hey Gang,

I had heard good things about FVD USA elsewhere in this forum, and am sure some of you have had good (or at least satisfactory) experiences. I would like to relate a "less than satisfactory" experience...

1. Ordered a set of 20" OZ wheels from FVD on-line using a credit card (>$1000 order, so I wanted credit card guarantee)
2. Received an email from FVD with a request to "fax them an order confirmation form" (why do they need this if I've already confirmed an order online with a credit card?)
3. Called them to confirm receipt of order and credit card, and was told that they do not have the wheels in stock..."they have to be special ordered from Germany" (why was this not disclosed on the website?)
4. Asked for a total price including shipping, and was verbally quoted ~$80-100 for shipping, but they would not quote an exact price. I was leery at this point, and decided not to send the order confirmation as I did not want to wait 2 weeks for shipment from Germany, then shipment from FL to AZ.
5. Soon after this call, I received another email from another person at FVD stating that wheels were indeed in stock and could be shipped out as soon as they received the faxed confirmation form. Several phone calls and emails later to confirm details, I faxed them the form (against my better judgment, but I just did not want the inconvenience of shopping around to find a similar deal on the same product)
6. Received confirmation email and invoice from FVD stating shipping charges of >$133 for freight shipment through UPS...way higher than original verbal quote!!!
7. Called FVD to politely inquire why shipping was much more than I was verbally quoted. Was told "...that's what it costs to ship to a private residence"
8. Cried foul and politely asked them if they would refund the difference from what I was originally quoted...seemed reasonable to me considering the hassles to this point...was put on hold to let them "check with my manager"...then they flatly refused my request.
9. Told FVD I planned to tell at least 10 people of my poor experience, and do not plan to deal with them ever again. Received standard "...do what you like, sir. I am sorry you feel that way."
10. In the spirit of full disclosure, their deal on the wheels was $19 less per wheel than TireRack, so their profit margin is probably very slim on this sale. However, I think they made a very poor decision to sacrifice a customer for life for a measly extra $33 in shipping charges...

If you are still with me at this point, thanks for listening...let's hope the wheels arrive intact with no damage. If this is what I get for customer service when PLACING an order, I shudder to think what customer service will be like if I have to process a return for damaged goods. Wish me luck!

Bottom Line: Recommend you think twice before ordering from FVD...even if the price is good...the hassles and "hidden extra charges" may not be worth it in the long run...

Quick Reply: Poor customer service experience with FVD USA