Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can towing be added without a new bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006 | 12:16 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
I have personally logged more towing time/miles with my Cayenne and Cup car/enclosed aluminum trailer, (#5700# or so) and even more towing the trailer with my son's kart in the back.....(#2700 or so) than I care to think about....some of it even with lights working.

Mechanically, the Cayenne is quite capable of handling this (PASM is nice to have, but not essential).

As you will discover, regardless of V6 vs V8 vs V8TT, manual tiptronic mode is mandatory (the Aisin transmission in the Cayenne does NOT have a Tow mode similar to Ford trucks).
You will discover that 6th gear is useful only if it's perfectly flat; any incline and you will be down to 4th. Most Cayennes will be towing in 5th gear on the highway.
You will find your mileage to be somewhere between 9-11, so with a 26 gallon tank, take an opportunity to fill up when you can (my wife's Excursion diesel with a 44 gallon tank allows me to ignore gas stops).

Forum members 'skl' and 'JFScheck' have also logged considerable tow time with enclosed trailers and have posted similar findings.

If you haven't seen this before and are new to towing, I would recommend this document:
http://www.sherline.com/lmbook.htm
Now you go and show up after I just said you had only made ONE comment.. How the hell did you get out of the st. jacket and sobered up after Nurse Ratchett gave you two treatments this morning via the rectal insertion device??? Jeeeeez.. just when the V6 Kids thought it was safe to come out and play!!
Old 02-16-2006 | 12:31 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Lewis, thanks for the link. Great reading material

MadFox....you misinterpreted my post. I did not show thin skin. I did not attack ANYBODY personally. I was just interested why so many people freak out when the "tow" question comes up like the truck is totally incapable of towing. I can handle lewis and actually thoroughly appreciate all the input he makes here. You personally, read WAY too much into my post.

O.K. back to our regualrly scheduled programming
Old 02-16-2006 | 12:41 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
MadFox....you misinterpreted my post. I did not show thin skin. I did not attack ANYBODY personally. I was just interested why so many people freak out when the "tow" question comes up like the truck is totally incapable of towing. I can handle lewis and actually thoroughly appreciate all the input he makes here. You personally, read WAY too much into my post. O.K. back to our regualrly scheduled programming
I read "Originally Posted by LVDell - Is it the arrogance of the S and TT ownership that has taken over?" I don't have thin skin.. I simply responded in jest about you thinking that "arrogance" has taken over.. Arrogance here??????Why my dear LVDELL.. it certainly has! Afterall, it's mostly males playing here!
Old 02-16-2006 | 12:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Lewis, thanks for the link. Great reading material
If you get serious about towing, you may also consider purchasing this tongue weight scale:
http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm
Helps with learning where to position the car on the trailer to set proper ratio of total weight/tongue weight. Definitely not fun when your tail begins to wag and the rear of the trailer starts to come up to your driver's door to see how you're doing

....I was just interested why so many people freak out when the "tow" question comes up like the truck is totally incapable of towing.
I think it's just the electrical compatibility issue regarding the tow control unit and trailer lighting configuration.

LED lighting (myself and JFScheck) is out (draws too little current, Cayenne thinks it's an open circuit, you get "!" Beep Check Trailer Lights

Incandescent lighting on an full enclosed car hauler (skl, AW) is out (draws too much current, Cayenne thinks it's a short circuit...even though it's not and the fuse doesn't blow anyways....and you get "!" Beep Check Trailer Lights.

Open trailer (Trailex or boat/utility trailer) with incandescent lighting 'appears' to be the nominal load PAG (actually Westfalia) designed for, so as long as you have been thru TSB W406, you will have no issues.

I can handle lewis and actually thoroughly appreciate all the input he makes here.
Valentine's Day was 2 days ago....you're late
Old 02-16-2006 | 12:52 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Good point MadFox. Easy to understand that stance. Would I prefer to have the S or TT? OF COURSE! But, my wife uses the Pepper as a commuter and didn't see the use of paying the premium for S or TT. In my eyes, I saw my mod budget on the 996 shrinking
Old 02-16-2006 | 12:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Lewis, I almost pissed my shorts reading your comment about the trailer coming around the side! I actually pictured that and me explaining to my wife that was normal and actually rec'd by Porsche!
Old 02-16-2006 | 01:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Back in late November, I had to bring my newly acquired 968Cab to a local detailer (she does AMAZING work).

It was snowing (~3" on the ground), I still had 20" OEM summer wheels/tires, it was cold, I hate my Cayenne, I didn't get 1/2 mile from my house when the rear of the trailer started trying to pass me.

So, thanks to time on the track, I saved my beloved 968 and pressed on.....I'll skip the part where (once again) lost complete vehicle lighting on the way home and I did NOT have the Maglites, D batteries and racer's tape with me.

On a more serious note, be sure to practice using the manual switch on your brake controller if you start to get a "wag".... and resist the temptation to use your foot on the brake.

Have you decided on/installed a brake controller yet?
Back in the old days, we had a couple very good posts with complete part numbers for the 4 pin connector/housing/pins along with instructions and photos........
Old 02-16-2006 | 01:07 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Brake controller???
Old 02-16-2006 | 01:13 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MadFox
get some thick ELEPHANT (Oh, help us God, Wingless may see this!) skin
This forum is too classy for me to post a proper response.
Old 02-16-2006 | 01:14 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Brake controller???
It provides the "juice" for electric brakes.
Old 02-16-2006 | 01:17 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Brake controller???
Yes, unless you have a trailer with surge (hydraulic) brakes.

It has been posted that trailers with surge brakes will also trigger the "!" Beep Check Trailer Lights message as well.
Old 02-16-2006 | 01:19 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
It was snowing (~3" on the ground), I still had 20" OEM summer wheels/tires, it was cold, I hate my Cayenne, I didn't get 1/2 mile from my house when the rear of the trailer started trying to pass me.
In a situation like that it also helps to have the optional spare underpants dispenser.
Old 02-16-2006 | 06:15 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

mudman.....I have attached the pic from your gallery and do not see the small cut you said you needed to make. Looks untouched and stock to me. And further explanation would be great.

I did have a few questions for you.....
1. Where did you purchase the tow kit?
2. What did you use to make the trailer lights functional?
3. What did you use for the rear bumber/etc. removal? TSB?

Thanks!
Sorry I missed in the haze or all the purple stuff flying around.

I purchased a third party TReg towbar, very good at about $150 all in.

No you cannot see the cutout but it is there, about 2-3 inches from the endge by 8 inches wide.

I had the dealer fit the correct controller and link it into the can bus
Old 02-16-2006 | 06:28 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wingless
This forum is too classy for me to post a proper response.
Now... that is the BEST line of the thread!!! CLASSY???? Us naked boys who drinketh from the Kool-aid cup??? Too too funny --
p.s. I love elephant jokes!
Old 02-16-2006 | 06:28 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wingless
In a situation like that it also helps to have the optional spare underpants dispenser.
Two for Two today!

Quick Reply: Can towing be added without a new bumper?