Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stolen hood crest & broken brake lens.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 09:50 PM
Alvin Hom
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stolen hood crest & broken brake lens.

Someone stole my hood crest, used a knife and popped it right off it's pins. Scraped the paint off underneath. I ordered a new one. Any tips on how I replace the hood crest?

Also, noticed condensation behind brake light cover. Turns out there's a hairline crack letting in water. Can I buy just one or do they only come in pairs? Any advice on where to buy and how to replace?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Alvin
Old 01-27-2006, 09:57 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

sorry to hear that, the whole bumper has to come out, not like other porsche cars
that's why i havent done mine..
Old 01-27-2006, 10:32 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Check ebay for the rear brake unit I have seen quite a few
Old 01-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Alvin Hom
AutoX

Originally Posted by alex911s
sorry to hear that, the whole bumper has to come out, not like other porsche cars
that's why i havent done mine..
The whole bumper? That's beyond my limited DIY skills. I was naive in assuming it would be simple. LOL

Thanks Alex!

-Alvin
Old 01-28-2006, 01:23 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

If you don't want to remove the entire bumper you could always you a silcone or the like to hold it in place.

Still amazes me that poeple will destroy somebody's property to get a crest that you could pick up on eBay for $20.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:20 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Removing the bumper is not that hard actually, you can take it off single handed but need another pair of hands to help you put it back on.

My gallery has some pictures.

A few torx around the wheel arches, a few underneath and 2 philips screws and the whole thing slides off runners, its quite lightweight.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Alvin Hom
AutoX

Michael, Thx for the info. Did you need to lift the car? Couldn't find the pics in your gallery where are they located? If it's really that easy, I might just DIY. Thanks again! -Alvin

Dell, I've actually thought of that. In case the thief wants to return and steal my new one, he could pop it off more easily without damaging my car paint anymore. I'm still keeping my eyes open around town for a Yugo with a Porsche hood crest. LOL
Old 02-07-2006, 12:11 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The good news is you can get the Gold hood crest all day long on eBay for CHEAP! Since the silver ones are all the craze these days the gold ones are considered "yesterday".
Old 02-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alvin: Use clear ShoeGoo and simply glue it back on. I have used SG on my replacement pedal set, rather than screwing/bolting/riveting the new pedal covers. I've been using SG for myriad tasks for a long time and it is a great adhesive product. It withstands weathering and bonds very well and is easy to use. (I believe it is a silicon-based adhesive.) Such a crude fix may be heresy to other Rennlisters, but SG is the anti-GooGone (another great product, up there with Klasse and Zaino and haze-free glass cleaner.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:29 AM
Alvin Hom
AutoX

Raptor, Thx for the tip. I already ordered the whole set from Porsche. If this one also gets stolen, I might try the ebay/shoegoo thing. -Alvin

Quick Reply: Stolen hood crest & broken brake lens.