Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight of Factory Wheels

Old 01-21-2006, 03:36 AM
BillConn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight of Factory Wheels

I am shopping for 22" wheels for my 06 Cayenne S in preparation for the arrival of spring. I would like to reduce the loss in handling and performance as much as possible while still achieving the sporty look I desire with 22" wheels. To help accomplish this I would like to keep the weight of the 22" wheels as close to the weight of the factory 19 or 20" wheels. I am willing to spend the money on HRE's or other HQ 3-peice forged wheels if it means I can keep the wheel weights as close to stock as possible
My problem is that I do not know how much any of the factory wheels weigh. So if any body could give me the weights of any of the factory wheels (18", 19" or 20") with or without tire, just let me know if the weight is with or without the tire.

Thanks in advance,
Bill
Old 01-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Contact the folks at wheelenhancement.com. They are very helpful, have a good selection and will have all the answers to your questions. (310) 836-8908
Old 01-21-2006, 02:45 PM
BillConn
Intermediate

I plan to buy my wheel/tire setup locally versus buying them online. I would prefer not to call wheelenhancement and use their resources when I do not have any intention of purschasing from them. I liken that to going to a local mom & pop hardware store and seeking lots of advice and then running down to home depot to buy the materials I would need.
I appreciate the reply though.

Anybody else happen to know the wheel weights? Perhaps somebody has a summer wheel/tire combo setting in the garage that they could weigh on the bathroom scale.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:42 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I only know that the 20 oem sport techno is heavy about 65 pounds/wheel, and so as the Techart Formula which is 75lbs.. the lightest one I've seen was the SSR(only offered in 20) which is 30lbs, there was one in the 25lb weight but I forgot, It think it was champion wheels. most aftermarket 22's are in the 40lbs..
Old 01-21-2006, 06:17 PM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I plan to buy my wheel/tire setup locally
If a purchase from a local vendor is your preference then perhaps asking them the questions at hand, or your Porsche dealership, will yield exact weight comparisons.

Techart makes a nice set of 22's, which will accept the OEM porsche center caps and they fall close enough in weight specs to the DUBs Porsche offers.

BOL
Old 01-21-2006, 08:00 PM
BillConn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alex911s
I only know that the 20 oem sport techno is heavy about 65 pounds/wheel, and so as the Techart Formula which is 75lbs.. the lightest one I've seen was the SSR(only offered in 20) which is 30lbs, there was one in the 25lb weight but I forgot, It think it was champion wheels. most aftermarket 22's are in the 40lbs..
Thanks. 65lbs per wheel for a 20"!! Thats rediculous. currently one of my wheel choices (i really prefer a wheel with a lip) is this wheel: http://www.millemiglia.co.uk/news.ph...adon&newsID=27
They say the 22" weighs only 14.1kg (about 31lbs). My dealer here in Portland is working up pricing on these wheels for me. Some others that I really like are either of the Champion 22" as well as the new TSW Victorequipment wheels (they are probably heavy though).
Here is a photo of the Mille Miglia wheels on a Cayenne:

Old 01-21-2006, 08:03 PM
BillConn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kooser
If a purchase from a local vendor is your preference then perhaps asking them the questions at hand, or your Porsche dealership, will yield exact weight comparisons.

Techart makes a nice set of 22's, which will accept the OEM porsche center caps and they fall close enough in weight specs to the DUBs Porsche offers.

BOL
I figured I would tap the resources available on these forums before driving down to my porsche dealer to get this information. Thankfully Alex came through. If anybody else has weights for either the 18's or 19's that would be helpfull to me and also anybody else who is curious of the wheel weights.
I tried a forum search for these weights but came up with nothing so hopefully this thread will help others in the future wishing to know the same thing.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:14 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BillConn
I figured I would tap the resources available on these forums before driving down to my porsche dealer to get this information. Thankfully Alex came through. If anybody else has weights for either the 18's or 19's that would be helpfull to me and also anybody else who is curious of the wheel weights.
I tried a forum search for these weights but came up with nothing so hopefully this thread will help others in the future wishing to know the same thing.
NP Bill,
Wow the Millie Miglia looks great, looks similar to the Sportec Cayenne Wheels...are those already available in the US?I thought I had the weight for the cayenne design and turbo wheels, i'll post when i find it...I was also interested in the new OZ wheel but it's not avail in the US yet..here's a pic of the OZ what do you think?
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2006, 11:47 PM
BillConn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alex911s
NP Bill,
Wow the Millie Miglia looks great, looks similar to the Sportec Cayenne Wheels...are those already available in the US?I thought I had the weight for the cayenne design and turbo wheels, i'll post when i find it...I was also interested in the new OZ wheel but it's not avail in the US yet..here's a pic of the OZ what do you think?
I think the Sportec wheel is the Mille Miglia wheel. I was just comparing the two and they look identical in terms of the spoke size and spacing. The only difference is the Sportec logo stamped into one of the spokes. Its much like the fact that the Gemballa gets their wheel from the same supplier that AT Italia gets the INOX wheel from.
I like that OZ Racing wheel alot too. I just wish they would reverse the two-piece bolts so you didnt have to see them all. I also really like OZ Canyon wheel. The wheel shop I have been working at (www.plusonemotorsports.com) told me that all the new lines and models will be aout by March and he should have up-to-date pricing then, so thats when I will really have to make up my mind.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:50 PM
BillConn
Intermediate

here is a photoshop of those Mille Miglia's on my Cayenne. I think they look pretty good. I would probably have the centers powdercoated silver to match the paint and leave the lips polished.

Old 01-22-2006, 02:54 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

That looks nice Bill, I can wait, I prob will be skiing till May anyways,LOL so winter tires will be on for a bit...but that's definitely on my list...
Old 01-22-2006, 10:18 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I am shopping for 22" wheels for my 06 Cayenne S in preparation for the arrival of spring. I would like to reduce the loss in handling and performance as much as possible while still achieving the sporty look I desire with 22" wheels.
Wheels over 20" are not homologated by PAG. You will notice a large change in ride and handling, depending on your current spring rates and if you chose to change those.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:24 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
65lbs per wheel for a 20"!! Thats rediculous.
Why is 65# ridiculous for a wheel on a 6000# truck?

PAG racing history if full of examples of lightweight (compared to the standard production variants) wheels that had very short life spans, were prone to cracking (visible and non visible) with the expected outcome.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:30 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Bill, you have air suspension or steel. If air, should not be ride problem. Steel, you might want to see what you think of the ride first.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:59 PM
BillConn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ltc
Wheels over 20" are not homologated by PAG. You will notice a large change in ride and handling, depending on your current spring rates and if you chose to change those.
Homologated! Now thats a word! :-) The pepper is equipped with PASM so I am not overly concerned with loss in ride quality. I am most concerned with keeping the rotating mass/unsprung weight close to stock. Obviously the loss in sidewall and increased wheel/tire width with affect handling and ride quality to some degree, but I assume that if I keep the unsprung weight as close to stock as possible and dont switch to excessivly wide or narrow wheels I should maintain most of the desireable handling characteristics of the vehicle. Am I wrong in this thinking? I am not an expert with this vehicle and do not claim to be so I am willing and open to criticism. I AM aware of the vibration issues that, in some cases, has been attributed to poorly balanced, oversized (22") wheels and tires. The tires/wheels will be road forced balanced and the wheels I purchase will be high quality forged wheels so I feel that vibration will NOT be an issue. There is no vibrations now with the 19" Porsche wheels and Pirelli Snow+Ice tires.
Ultimatley I am willing to sacrifice "some" handling and ride quality to acheive the stance and overall appearance I desire with the 22" wheels. I do not plan to run this vehicle on the track or seek out winding mountain roads. It will see sprited driving and the Pepper IS a blast in the twisties but I am also currently building a Pro-Tourding Chevelle that will be my summertime canyon carver/track vehicle, so some loss in handling is not going to detract from the purpose I bought the pepper.
Do you still think 22" wheels are a mistake and I should strongly consider 20" wheels given what Ive said above?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weight of Factory Wheels